The lie that is White Privilege

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Austin_Bill, Jun 14, 2020.

1. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

White privilege is absolutely real.

Signed,
    OJ Simpson

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  2. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Certainly the stats are on your side 6721 and now we are dealing more with perception of danger than actual danger from police encounters. In a political context I'd argue that perceived dangers are more important than actual ones. I'm polite and make things easy for police officers ... and I can't remember where I learned this ... but no doubt my father set a good example for me. A Richard Pryor comedy routine was instructive and I took classroom drivers ed.

I haven't gone over the protocol with my son... I honestly just expect him to be respectful of authority as he is in all other areas of life. Of course in my and my sons' interactions with police over the last 40 years, cops have found us to be friendly, cooperative, sober and unarmed. And being white, driving mid-size four door sedabs with unexciting colors and detailing, we pretty much only get pulled over for speeding or other obvious violations ... maybe 10 -12 interactions over 40 years. If I had to deal with cops 10-15 times a year, I might find myself less even tempered.

3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

"in a political context I'd argue that perceived dangers are more important than actual ones."
    Seriously
    like this?
    There were" nooses" found in a park in a Ca city. Investigated as a hate crime turned out a black man put them there for exercise several months ago. Even with the factsMayor Libby Schaaf said officials “discovered nooses in roughly five different trees.” She said it doesn't matter if the ropes were used for exercise.
    https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/national-politics/article243610987.html
    “Intentions don’t matter,” Schaaf said. “It is incumbent on all of us to know the actual history of racial violence, of terrorism, that a noose represents and that we as a city must remove these terrorizing symbols from the public view.”
    Mayor Libby Schaaf said officials “discovered nooses in roughly five different trees.” She said it doesn't matter if the ropes were used for exercise."

You see every day all day how the media etc is ginning up dangers from white people while downplaying facts about the dangers being done by BLM and protestors.
    Wouldn't we be better off sticking to facts than peceptions?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

The one time my daughter got pulled over, she started crying uncontrollably. The cop turned from tough guy SOB into Mr Softie in 2 seconds. She got off with a warning.

When I used to drive TX35 to work, I got pulled over on a regular basis, probably once per month. I followed the procedure: hands in sight on the steering wheel, addressed the officer as sir or ma'am even if they were much younger, no sudden movements, answered all of the stupid irrelevant questions politely, etc. Why was I stopped? IMO, 2 reasons: 1) A lot of drugs are run on this highway, 2) The officers had to stop a certain number of whites to get the stats to pass muster. Gee white privilege is great.

5. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Oh yeah. I went to a seminar on risk communications once and the most memorable thing i learned is "American's worry exactly the right amount. They don't worry about the right things, but they worry the right amount, because eventually something will get you." So how much energy do we spend protecting our children from "stranger danger" possible kidnapping and rape from a strange evil doer? What if the reality is that it's about 10 times more likely they will commit suicide or choke to death on food and 100 times more likely to drown? Do you think you could convince your wife not to worry?

6. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

If we can get everybody to go along with us, I'm all for it.

7. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I could not bring myself to break down this one down either haha. A simple "that's not true at all" sometimes will suffice.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Shooting of Daniel Shaver - Wikipedia

What color was this man who was murdered by a cop? He was cooperating with the police. Yes, bad cops who have no business being cops exist. They do murder people. However, the victims of these sickos are people of all races. White people are not immune to being victims of sicko, bad cops.

There does need to be police reform on bad cops. However, fixing racism will not solve this.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I saw that I think somewhere on Hornfans a few weeks ago. Hard to watch. No outage, protests, etc. Does not support the narrative and agenda.

10. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I have always been pro police reform against bad cops, but do not want to defund the police.

I think what is lost on a lot of americans right now is that you can back the blue, but also not back bad cops. Not every white person is a racist, not every black person is a criminal and not every cop is a bad cop. The troublemakers in every group are the minority. One can condemn the troublemakers without stereotyping the group or condemning the group.

Right now, with the riots, the good cops need our support more than ever, while, at the same time, we need to reform policing to make it easier to remove those bad cops who abuse their authority.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  11. horninchicago

Exactly. Just like not all Muslims are the 9/11 attackers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. horninchicago

I still like Conference Championships though. :ousucks:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Why break it down and invite getting pulled down rabbit trails when his entire point is dependent on a falsehood? I don't know what CNN commentator or Ta-Nehisi Coates article he's echoing, but it's just not accurate or even logical.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

You're a sick man.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Why cab other forms of "privilege' not be pointed out?
    Mayor of small Ga town:
    ""What is privilege?....
    "Privilege is wearing $200 sneakers when you've never had a job.
    "Privilege is wearing $300 Beats headphones while living on public assistance.
    "Privilege is having a Smartphone with a Data plan which you receive no bill for.
    "Privilege is living in subsidized housing where you don't have a water bill, where rising property taxes and rents and energy costs have absolutely no effect on the amount of food you can put on your table.
    "Privilege is the ability to go march against, and protest anything that triggers you without worrying about calling out of work and the consequences that accompany such behavior.
    "Privilege is having as many children as you want, regardless of your employment status, and [to] be able to send them off to daycare or school you don't pay for.
    "Privilege is sending your kids to school early for the before-school programs and breakfast, and then keeping them there for the after-school program...paid for by the people who DO HAVE TO DEAL WITH RISING TAXES AND COSTS! ...you know, us so-called 'PRIVILEGED' the ones who pay while you TAKE TAKE TAKE!"
    Georgia city council asks mayor to resign over rant, saying 'privilege is wearing $300 Beats headphones while living on public assistance'
    Of course there are calls for his resignation

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  17. horninchicago

I'd like to see the remainder of the video where, surely, the "men" around there beat the ever living compound crap out of that POS.

Wonder what led up to this that someone is filming it. Oh yeah, she was being white, so that was an affront to everyone there.

18. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

What a coward. Not only does he attack a woman. He sneaks up on her.

19. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

These guys don't have any honor, and this kind of thing is common. My mom used to ride the BART in San Francisco pretty regularly. She got assaulted several times over the years and frequently saw others (especially women) get assaulted. It ranged from the annoying (getting intentionally shoved, grabbing the *** or boob) to injury (getting punched in the face). On one occasion, a Mexican dude sat across from her and my sister (who was 12 at the time), whipped out his junk and started playing with himself. They moved, and he followed them around the train until they got off (which was obviously as soon as possible).

She never once saw anyone get up and confront the bad apple. That's pretty pathetic, but I do understand. The people who do this sort of thing are obviously unstable and might be carrying a weapon of some kind. It's hard to blame people for not wanting to intervene. They're dealing with one of the hazards of not being able to institutionalize crazy people.

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Cambridge Prof not only wants to eliminate white privilege but also all of whiteness itself

[​IMG]

21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

So can we start with her first?

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

We need a Nuremberg trial where we put these people on trial and hang em. Put that NASCAR rope to good use.

23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Again, Alex Jones can't spout goofy conspiracies, and people can't say that sex and gender are objective. However, this lunatic can call for genocide.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Also, Trump is now being fact checked. The censorship really does only go one way nowadays.

I still cannot believe that moderator got away with falsely accusing Romney of lying during one of his debates with Obama.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It appears that the people who lecture us all the time that anyone can “identify” as anything they want do have their limits

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  26. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

28. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Yeah: If you can't tell the truth that's a problem.

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

"If this country doesn’t give us what we want then we will burn down the system and replace it ...."

30. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

In the lower right of the youtube link on JF's post is a YouTube video " The Star Spangled Banner as you have never heard it"
    Watching it now then I need to see of it is accurate
    It certainly gives new insight.
    Ok it is a dramatic rendering of the attack on the fort but I did learn that Key was on the Brit ship to negotiate exchange of prisoners. I always thought He was the prisoner.
    Sorry to derail thread with national anthem stuff

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020