The Media Industry

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by texas_ex2000, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 3
  2. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Well, if healthcare is provided by the government, then your political views will be used to determine care.

I have already seen people on social media saying hospitals should turn away anyone with COVID if they protested government house arrest. These aren't celebrities either. "Normal" folk aren't any better.

3. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

In my opinion anybody that says that needs to called a piece of ****.

4. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I said it was immoral. They shut up.

People are have been scared into really bad judgment with no facts just scare tactics.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It's a pretty small % of US media who are not afraid of what China might do to them if they dare tell the truth

“The best case you can make for Xi Jinping is that he was reckless, but whether it was reckless or deliberately malevolent, it doesn’t really matter — China is responsible for what happened."

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Ironically enough, CNN has not addressed it

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Fox News finally labels CNN in the same fashion CNN has labeled FNC for decades

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

How do we defund CNN? Who gets to decide that they are included in cable and internet TV packages? It's almost like those in power are forcing it in.

9. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

One must remember that the first directive of "the media industry" is to entertain an audience to which items can be sold. It is not about informing an audience with an accurate unbiased reporting of the facts. Very few do that anymore as it requires the audience to think, analyze and usually research more deeply. Few want to do that. Most, like lab rats in cages, just want to be rewarded for performing the expected behavior of their masters. Most of the public think life should be like a "reality show" on television. Something that entertains them but about which they do not have to think.

Sustaining a functioning democracy requires thoughtful participation by the citizenry. Most do not these days.

It has always been true, perhaps now more than ever, that the unexamined life is not worth living.

Edward R. Murray and Walter Cronkite would be hanging their heads today if they could see us.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Don't get cable. It's a waste of money anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Our media is so bad -- "He no longer China Bank" - gee, I wonder who wrote that?
    The whole story was BS

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately it is just one unit of a giant multinational
    They are currently owned by CNN Worldwide, which is a unit of the WarnerMedia News & Sports division which is a unit of AT&T WarnerMedia
    Time Warner: Turner Broadcasting

Before the merger (2018), CNN represented ~25% of Time Warner’s profit
    AT&T Can’t Cut a Connection With CNN or Turner – Variety

As far as revenues go, they will probably be up this year since it is an election year. CNN is supposed to make $773.1 million in advertising revenues in 2020, which will be an increase over what they made in ad revues in 2016 ($633.9M). And all of this despite declining viewership
    How Much Money Does CNN, Fox News And MSNBC Make on Ads?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  13. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

This Dude is a longtime political editor at Minnesota Public radio
    [​IMG]

• poop poop x 1
  14. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Are they not included in SlingTV and Hulu?

15. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I'm guessing the same radio station that put Al Frankin out there every day while I'm driving.

16. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

• poop poop x 1
  17. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG]

18. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They're probably in SlingTV. I have Hulu, and I only see CBS News, Bloomberg, and Fox News. I had cable in the Azores because it was basically free. (It literally cost less to include it than to just have internet and phone service.) However, I dropped it when I moved to Germany and got an Amazon Fire Stick. With that, I can basically choose to watch whatever I want and pay accordingly. (Yes, this does make Jeff Bezos rich.)

And of course, of you're a willing to jailbreak the Fire Stick, you can watch just about anything you want for free. I don't do that, because I'm not a crook, but it can be done pretty easily. Furthermore, if you use it with a VPN, there's pretty much no chance of you getting caught.

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This is the same Andy Lack in both instances

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

The funny thing is if Dementia Joe WAS asked and answered "I don't recall that at all", he'd likely be telling the truth.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

FB_IMG_1588181520646.jpg

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Sometimes media bias is more subtle
    Here, compare blaring headlines of "sexual misconduct"/"sexual assault"
    vs
    "an incident"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

--------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Is that a bazooka or are you just glad to see me?

[​IMG]

28. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

That is a joke, right?

• Funny Funny x 2
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The Atlantic is convinced that between Joe Biden and Mike Pence, that Pence is the weirdo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I've seen some crazy stuff at gun shows, so a private person owning a Bazooka is no big deal. You can own one but more than likely it probably won't work. There is something like 60 privately owned working tanks in the US currently.

At any gun show you can buy a flame thrower. If you have enough money and a tax stamp you can go full auto but man they are expensive.

God bless America