The Media Industry

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by texas_ex2000, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Sure, but don't sit there and defend the nonsense. Personally I don't have a problem with lying to them.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

While it's nowhere as bad as Apartheid would you have been cool if our athletes of color been harassed in 80's South Africa if they had bent the rules a bit while there and then kicked out? Would you say, "dems the rules"? No, you wouldn't.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  3. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Public health policy is now comparable to state codified racism. Nice. I'd say that social media has ruined our once great republic.

4. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

When Australia's public health policy on this matter does nothing that actually helps the public it's about as useless as state codified racism. If Australia had a leg to stand on here I would agree. Now that the shot has been thoroughly proven to be only a therapeutic the rules are stupid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

You think that's true. It is not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

The spread to the northeast proved that. Remember when you were spiking the ball about the south getting it so bad then the areas most vaccinated were hit hard as well. Europe wouldn't be getting hit as hard as well if they contained spread. Sorry, you're being fed malarkey. The vaccines do reduce severity. That's it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Garm
    They say it reduces severity but have they published verifiable stats? There is no data driven way to prove that
    It sounds good though and keeps the bucks rolling into Pfizer and Moderna

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

I have to say that I'm thinking this way as well. We had Free Speech before social media and we can have Free Speech after social media, but the ability to broadcast your messages around the world and ALWAYS find 20 other people to go along with you no matter how off-the-rails you are has really hurt our civility which in turn hurts our democracy. Democracy doesn't always have to be civil and polite, but when it is routinely hostile, angry and devoid of most attempts to hear the other person out....democracy is diminished.

I don't know how we rein it in without picking sides but at some point we are going to have to lower the temperature and find a way to get back to reasonable conversations. Social Media hasn't been good for that, even when people are readily identifiable on Facebook.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Do the Aborigine have the same access to health care? Covid is racist.

:fiestanana:

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

What the what? That's the part that, you know, saves lives. Severe disease is where the road starts going bad. Mild covid does little damage. However, there are some long covid symptoms. I had it in October/November of 2020. My sniffer still isn't right. Lungs? Heart? I really don't know.

Setting the bar at 90% disease free is like Aggy saying "Championship or bust".

11. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

The hornfans (college sports board) world is a great example. One of the reasons I prefer discussing sports (and motherscratching politics) here is that I'm not in the yeah team setting. Many people say ****** things about OU. I know much of that is biased. However, I know that a good portion is correct and it's not what I'm going to read on a Sooner message board. I have to run unpleasant things through my mind and not respond like a total jackwagon (@Garmel :) ). I've gained some perspective by interacting with you lovely men/women.

12. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Yes. You are pretty consistently in the 80% jackwagon range these days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Absolutely! They can require no Jews or Blacks to ever play tennis in their country. Or require a steep fine to receive the "freedom" to do so. Sounds like a good plan for a Leftist.

Or we could judge laws and policies through natural law and natural rights philosophy.

14. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Bubba
    That was rude and uncalled for. To insult Garmel, put a smiley face and think it is ok

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

WTF? We were just arguing about spread. Do you finally agree with me that it's basically a therapeutic at this point and that the tennis player didn't endanger anybody?

16. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Looks like England heard me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  17. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

The flu vaccine helps keep you from getting the flu but is not foolproof. It also generally helps you not get it so bad. Right? That's my take on this one. It was VERY effective against the initial virus. Less so as immunity waned and the virus mutated. That said, it is still effective (9x) or so against death and ICU membership. And I'm the crazy one.

18. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

All that means is that it has become endemic.

19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Is the tennis player a danger to anyone? Yes or no, Bubba.

21. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

That's why I pointedly ignore them. No clicks for you!

22. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

23. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

It’s the Australian’s call. Self governance and all. If you want to win their tennis money you should follow their rules. There was a mechanism for him to no be vaccinated but he didn’t follow the quarantine rules.

my brother in law works for a defense contractor in DFW and had to quarantine alone in his hotel room for 7 days before working in some foreign country this year. It was their rules.

24. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Ironic. I think the smeller is the feller.

25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I reject the premise that respecting a nation's sovereignty is sticking up for what it's doing on a specific issue, but that's fine.

It could have been and was. That's what Brown was about, but it was applying the 14th Amendment, which had been the law since Reconstruction.

No ****. The Court was wrong in Plessy. They stated the law incorrectly. The law was on the side of the civil rights movement.

We didn't need it to end segregation be public institutions. That was done by the 14th Amendment. The Court simply didn't recognize it until Brown. (Also, the Civil Rights Act as it's usually applied is unconstitutional. It's politically incorrect to say that, but it's true under any serious reading of the Constitution.)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  26. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Garmel, someone pee in your cheerios today? If the citizens of Australia want to live in penal colony, they have that right. Apparently things haven’t changed much in 150 years. The tennis player should have taken a dump on the tarmac and left. Come on man!

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

"Jackwagon"? I have a strong feeling you wouldn't have the courage to say that to his face. Totally uncalled for.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Maybe I triggered him one too many times.

29. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

No, because he won't answer my question.

30. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Everyone just...

c0ac47832e2320f3132b67cc679937b3.png

• Funny Funny x 3