The Media Industry

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by texas_ex2000, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I don't think MTP was ever that influential on its own. The people who actually watched those shows regularly were political junkies whose minds were already made up. Its real influence came from guests being quoted in news and commentary articles and clips being shown on the news. However, nowadays I don't think many people get their news from those sources anymore. They've all thrown away their credibility, so there truly is no point in any Republican going on those shows. You're going to get some unprofessional hack out to make you look bad and help pitch your opposition's talking points.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I know there is a Juicy Smolleigh thread but too lazy to look it up.
    Dave Chapelle gave a great funny riff on it. Here is Victor Davis Hanson's take on it. Still topical as we see stupid improbable chit reported every day

• Like Like x 4
  3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It's relevant here, because the real scandal of that story was the media. Smollett lied, but think about what he was able to assume because that's what made him think he could get away with the lie.

He assumed that the American media would be so worried that they'd be called racists that they completely set aside all standards of professionalism in covering the story. Every obvious red flag would be ignored. The real victims (slandered Trump supporters) would be vilified. The real bad apple (Smollett) would be idolized and mollycoddled. He knew that because the political narrative was so helpful to the Left, nobody would point out that because of Jussie's lie, real racial assault victims would be disbelieved. In other words, he was not only victimizing Trump supporters, he was victimizing real assault victims. True white supremacists that attack black people are better off because of Jussie.

But Jussie's assumptions were right, thanks to our garbage media.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Similarly stupid:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Once again the woke rushed to judgement. So far after intensive investigation there is no evidence anyone at BYU hurled racist remarks at Duke black volleyball player
    CNN, ABC, ESPN promoted Duke volleyball player's racial slur story, go quiet on developments debunking claim

Just as interesting the South Carolina women's basketball coach quickly cancelled their series with BYU.
    Several South Carolina lawmakers sent her and SC admin a letter asking for an explanation.
    I think they asked some good questions.
    "Given the totality of the circumstances, it seems the University of South Carolina rushed to appease the loudest voices of the far-Left by 'canceling' BYU, both literally and figuratively, without respect for the truth. If our citizens are to have faith in our public institutions, then they must not kowtow to counterfeit outrage. Doing so only hurts and weakens those who have been truly harmed by bigotry and discrimination," the letter read.

"It is our opinion the University acted arbitrarily and capriciously without consideration or regard for the facts and circumstances. This begs many questions, chief among them, why did the University of South Carolina cancel the series against BYU when no supporting evidence existed to warrant such action? Will the University of South Carolina reschedule with BYU and issue a public apology if the allegations continue to be shown as false? Is it now the policy of the University to forgo, or more concerning, ignore any fact-finding missions into allegations of wrongdoing? Will the University be canceling all sporting events whenever any fan of any university against which the Gamecocks have an upcoming game is accused of acting inappropriately? Is the University of South Carolina now taking responsibility for all of its fans, regardless of any relationship with the University? What is the policy of the University of South Carolina for canceling games in which allegations of wrongdoing by a future opposing school’s fans are made? And finally, will the University of South Carolina decline any games with Duke University given the verifiable racially insensitive tweets by a member of Duke’s fan base, Mrs. Pamplin?"

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Those are good questions. In fact , it should be a template that every institution or business should answer prior to event cancellation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

We're going to run a story basically calling you a domestic terrorist. Do you give us a comment????

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  10. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

mc
    :facepalm:
    But seriously how can WE Overcome this chit?
    The damage was done

12. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They friggin' hate Desantis, because he mostly appeals to the same people Trump appealed to, but he's far less error-prone and has much broader appeal, so he scares the hell out of them. The religious conservative will vote for him, but so will the suburban mom who doesn't like crime. If he's the nominee in '24 against Willie Brown's ex-mistress, he'll probably carry every even somewhat competitive state.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Deez
    Who do you think the Demx could put up against him that would give him a fight?
    I doubt the Demx would let Harris run.

14. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Completely agree. Desantis would be very difficult to beat. Trump populism without the non-stop silliness. Unfortunately, I expect a bitter primary that either ends up with Trump as candidate again (which would not be great) or Trump supporters angered because they think the party colluded against him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It will be fairly close in the swing states, because of polarization. I think there are Democrats who could challenge him and even beat him. Sherrod Brown, Amy Klobuchar, Tim Ryan, Bob Casey, or John Bel Edwards would be tough to beat. However, they'd all have to go full retard and ruin their appeal to get past Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, or whoever the Justice Democrat candidate is.

16. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

And this would be the Democrats' big hope - an ugly Republican primary fight that involved Trump winning or losing but being disgruntled and fostering division within the party. If that happens be prepared for Willie Brown to be under the Presidential desk.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'm no Alex Jones defender, but does Rather hear himself? This is a guy who bullshat an entire story to try to flip the 2004 election.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

Libs aren't required to make sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 3
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

No neutrality there. Lol.

21. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Every Trump supporter I know would not be angry. They would be happy with DeSantis.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Hot Hot x 1
  22. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

I hope that's the case. I don't envision Trump to be a graceful loser. I suspect most of Trump's supporters would like Desantis but I could definitely see a subset of die hards that will do whatever Trump tells them to do. My hope is that Desantis can mend those fences before the general election.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

I know a few that are Trump or bust. One said he didn't think DeSantis was ready for the national stage because he hasn't seen the msm turn the heat on him fully yet

I prefer DeSantis

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  24. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I have a DeSantis 2024 sticker on my jeep.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Rather is The Godfather of killing honest journalism.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  26. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

D Rather is a liar who fabricated a story, and was fired in disgrace. He's a stain on the already soiled diaper of journalism.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
  27. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

I have one on my Nissan Leaf.

Just kidding. I don't have a Leaf.

• Funny Funny x 4
  28. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Is there a database that tracks the endorsement statistics of major media outlets? This would be the best data to quantify the bias of a news outlet. I haven't been able to find anything which is surprising.

29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Not sure, but I know the New York Times hasn't endorsed a Republican for president since 1956.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

How about the National Enquirer? Those guys are more relevant.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1