The Media Industry

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by texas_ex2000, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Before Farrah there was Zeme. Don't shoot me, but I like Zeme better.

2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Better.

So, to be clear, you do like Farrah. Deez does not. You win.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Like I've always said, Farrah = mediocrity. Not bad but nothing special. Deez, Jr. will have higher standards.

4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Read thread:

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I know there are issues I will disagree with Musk on but DAMN
    It is good to see him nail the azzhole reporter for making a stupid blanket claim. The left does this all the time but never gets called out.
    Thank you Elon

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The BBC reporter was just repeating a narrative and didn't expect anyone to call him on the carpet. Mus k absolutely humiliated him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

20230412_234726.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Amongst his ilk, I doubt he was humiliated. Rather, he was bullied. This clown will continue with the narrative.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

What's up with the complaining about the "state-affiliated media" label? Don't NPR and BBC get funding from their respective governments?

10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They don't want to be associated with Pravda or Goebbels-style propaganda, but that's basically what they are at this point.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Fox News is settling the Dominion defamation lawsuit for $787 million. Ouch. Link.

12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

This is ********. MSNBC spread lies about Russia collusion with impunity because the dems laundered their lies through anonymous government officials. Ducking ********.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I don't think that would necessarily save them if someone sued. It depends on what the MSNBC personnel said about it. That's what got Fox into trouble.

14. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

The Fox announcers' opinion that they think Powell is lying is just as I said opinion, not fact. Dominion has extremely vulnerable software and that is 100% fact. In fact, one of the commentators said the software was fine and it's not. I don't think Powell was right but these Fox announcers are talking way out of their purview.

Texas and Florida don't use Dominion software because of the security risks involved.

You're allowed to have guests on that don't agree with your opinion and not be sued for it.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  15. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You are allowed, but it wasn't the guests' comments that made them liable. It was the Fox hosts' comments that did, especially Lou Dobbs, who later got canned. Maria Bartiromo's name has gotten mentioned as well, but I looked at what she said, and it's a pretty big stretch. Dobbs is the one whose comments really drove the lawsuit.

• Like Like x 1
  16. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

You happen to have what Maria said handy?

17. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

What did Dobbs say that was so bad?

Was it the "Read all about Dominion and Smartmatic voting companies and you’ll soon understand how pervasive this Democrat electoral fraud is, and why there’s no way in the world the 2020 Presidential election was either free or fair."?

That's his opinion which is no different than these MSM stations calling Trump a Russian agent.

18. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

My understanding (could be wrong) is that she said, "Sidney (meaning Powell), I want to ask you about these algorithms and the Dominion software. . . . Sidney, we talked about the Dominion software. I know that there were voting irregularities. Tell me about that."

That's very weak stuff for a defamation claim. If that's all they had against Fox, I'm not sure this case would have flown. It's totally non-specific and doesn't even say anything negative about Dominion.

19. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I think Fox simply didn’t want to risk the discovery on their cell phones out in public. But conservatives better wise up and start fighting back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Here's a link to the NR article that has some excerpts. Some of it is opinion, but much of it is presented as though it's confirmed to be supported by facts.

Actually, what the MSM stations did to Trump is much more blatant. What gets them out of getting sued is SCOTUS opinions severely limiting defamation lawsuits by public officials. Basically, the media has an "I'm stupid" defense. Like I've said here countless times, New York Times v. Sullivan is a ******** opinion, and it needs to go along with several other defamation cases that followed it. They are ruining serious journalism.

21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They went all the way through discovery. It was a last minute settlement.

22. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Dominion is **** software so saying that one believes elections are being stolen by them isn't a huge stretch. In fact, one of the America's best cybersecurity person believes it. On a personal level I believe it's being done through the adjudication process and mail in balloting.

Fox and the NY Post have been called Russian disinformation networks. If that can't pass the "malice" test this sure as hell doesn't.

Yes, Fox News sucks but this was a political hit job.

23. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I’m assuming there was some sort of NDA before settling?

24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Again, they have the "I'm stupid" defense. If Fox or NY Post sued those networks, they'd say, "we had no idea they weren't Russian disinformation networks, and we have these intelligence 'experts' all saying they were." That would be enough for those networks to avoid going to court against Fox or NY Post unless Fox or NY Post found some smoking gun of the networks' personnel admitting that they know it's all BS, which isn't likely to happen. They know better than to put that in writing. (Some of Fox's personnel didn't know better.)

Almost certainly. Mainstream media outlets certainly seem to be enjoying it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

LOL. If there is, nobody is acting like there is. Everybody's blabbing all about it.

26. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Lawyer malpractice would come into play if there isn't. Fox wants this to go away so they are not going to enforce it.

27. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

That's the thing that I was saying earlier. The Fox people are entitled to their opinion but they don't really have a clue to what is BS or not. What they were saying is not necessarily fact. Behind the scenes they were defending Dominion software that we know is faulty. So bad that Texas and Florida won't touch it.

To me this doesn't pass the malice test.

28. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Not likely. If the lawyer never even mentioned it as a possibility or never attempted to get a NDA after the client requested it, then perhaps malpractice could be on the table.

However, a NDA isn't just boilerplate settlement language. It's something the parties bargain for. If Fox asked for a NDA and Dominion wasn't willing to agree to one (which is possible since the whole idea of a defamation lawsuit is to compensate for a damaged reputation and seek to restore that reputation) or wasn't willing to agree without additional money that Fox wasn't willing to pay, then that definitely isn't Fox's lawyer's failure. It's just a matter of the parties not being able to reach agreement on the matter.

29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

When discovery uncovered conversations in which the Fox people admitted they knew Powell was full of crap but then talked on the air as though she wasn't, that was sufficient evidence of actual malice to support a verdict. That's why Fox was willing to settle. The evidence was strong enough to go to a Delaware jury that likely wouldn't have been favorable to them.

Just FYI - in a legal context, "actual malice" doesn't mean evil intent, despite the language. It means that the defendant made the statement knowing it was false or with reckless disregard for whether it was false. It's from the NYT v. Sullivan case that, again (and I'm going to keep saying it until it's gone), is ******** and should be overruled.

30. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

It's their opinion, man. Just because they think she's lying or they don't believe in election fraud does NOT make it fact. Powell has actual backing of cybersecurity experts who says she is telling the truth. Those believing she lied is not the same as knowing she lied.

They had to settle because the judge poisoned the jury calling Fox liars when he knows damn well the issues Dominion has. He also didn't let Fox do much in the way of discovery like he did Dominion. He handcuffs Fox where they can't show anything substantial then calls them liars.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023