The Media Industry

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by texas_ex2000, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Husker
    You make no sense. You say you have confidence in Coney to vet these refugees
    You realize the bold words in quotes are your boy admitting there is no data with which to vet?
    Your cutesy remark aside how should the USA vet these People?
    Take the refugees word for it?
    BTW did you Google what second generation American means:smile1:

2. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

We've been over this. I've posted Comey's quote multiple times that he has full confidence in our vetting process. There are ~15-20 process steps in the vetting process and you're screaming "what about #3!!!" The vetting process is the totality of all the steps of which having a history of their identity is only one, albeit important step.

Please continue on to debate first/second generation immigration status and a specific step in the lengthy immigration status. The colloquialism "can't see the forest through the trees" comes to mind.

3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Husker
    Maybe I do not understand the whole process. You say there are several steps. Can you explain some of the steps that we use to make sure they are who they say they are without verifiable Data?
    This is a serious question. How do we make sure that person is who they say they Are?
    Trying to deflect will not change that you did not know what second generation American means when you said the Tsarnov brothers were.

4. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Remember the reference from Trump's oldest son about the bowl of skittles? Would you take a few skittles out of a full bowl to eat knowing one of them were poison? So really I don't give a damn how many skittles are in the bowl, I'm not eating any. I'm not going to take a chance. Would you? You can talk till your blue about the successful Muslims that have came here, but if you knew if one would get through the vetting (which they will) and that it would be a child of yours that would be their first victim, would you still have confidence in the vetting system know it's your child that dies if you're wrong? Again your logic is unexplainable. I seriously believe you will argue for your party no matter how wrong you know you are. There is no other explanation. Did you use to go by Roger35?

It has everything to do with Hillary and her people not protecting our cyber security. Her right hand man had his password as "password." Yes, it's Russia's fault that Trump won. :rolleyes1:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Seattle Husker

First, Omar Mateen can be defined as a 2nd generation and I thought the Tsarnaev brothers were born her after their parents immigrated. Not knowing that detail was my error.

In another thread I posted a visual of the process steps per INS. I no longer have the energy or interest to rehash the same arguments that you didn't previously address solely focusing on the singular issue of country of origin identity.

6. Seattle Husker

We are not talking about Skittles though. If you were told that one was poison and another was the cure to cancer would you throw out the bowl? I guess you'd say "yes". How 'bout if in that immigrant group is Albert Einstien, Madeleine Albright or some future impactful immigrant. Yes, I'll take my chances while looking for ways to improve the vetting process.

Jeezus...the "passw0rd" was the laptop password, not his email. You do know that right? We're not even talking about the same issue. You are arguing with yourself. Hillary was a crappy candidate. Podesta and DNC didn't focus enough on cyber security. Neither of those things matter when discussing Russia's attempt not just consume the intel they gleaned but rather stepping up the aggression in the form of a propaganda and influence campaign. It's the latter point that we are debating while you continue to conflate HRC as a candidate which nobody is denying.

7. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I can name the poison. That's the terrorist that get through the vetting process. What the hell are you talking about in regards to being the cure to Cancer? There isn't any equivalence to the cure cancer by letting unknown refugees come in. In other words there is poison skittles but there isn't any skittle that will cure cancel. You sure like trying to move the goal post don't you. There's that great logic you have again. :rolleyes1:

8. Seattle Husker

You don't know that one of those refugees or one of their kids could potentially change the world. The janitor at my wife's middle school is Filipino. He's a 1st generation immigrant. Right now, he has a daughter at MIT and a son that started in the Fall at Stanford. Those kids are extremely hard working like their dad who works during the day at the middle school then the HS 5 nights a week. From my experience, work ethic is a common trait among most immigrants with a few exceptions. Those kids are the "cure for cancer" in the skittles analogy. That's not moving the goalpost but rather a recognition that there are positive potential within these groups of immigrants too which isn't being acknowledged. Based on what I've read, education and skills are contributing factors in weighing where an an immigrant sits on the priority list.

9. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

SH ... the issue for me is that these refugees can have their needs attended in their own country. We have NO NEED to bring them here and give them "effective citizenship" ... and certainly not when we KNOW that medium will be/has been used to infiltrate our society with fundamental muslims.(Gold Star Khan?)

If you COULD tell me your panacea person lies within this group of refugees ... I'd STILL oppose it based upon our need.

Does this nation NEED the refugees for its function? NO ... Our moral standard is to help them in their need. Doing that doesn't require us to immigrate them here. I don't understand the difficulty in seeing the threat.

• Like Like x 1
  10. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Are you referring to the Boston Marathon bombers?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Seattle Husker

I subscribe to the Colin Powell "Pottery Barn" doctrine. If you break it you buy it. We really ****** up the ME with Gulf War 2. That started this mess. I also believe that it's in our best interest not to keep millions of Muslim individuals perpetually in refugee camps for decades. That would become more of a threat than indoctrinating a vetted subset in American culture.

12. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

yeah, except that the ME has been broken for a lot longer than our involvement. So we selectively self-loath and blame ourselves? Bringing 'em here is NOT the right answer.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Ask the good people of San Bernardino if it is worth it.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  14. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Some missives of the unbiased media on President Obama over the past several years:

Yeah, they are going to give President Trump a fair shake. Whatever Trump does to them (ie, moving the press out of the WH, etc) is well deserved IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This should be good

[​IMG]

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Complete lack of honesty and self-evaluation
    Lets hope they keep it up

17. Seattle Husker

Speaking of complete lack of honesty yet focusing on real issues, POTUS Trump spent his first day at Langley and had this to say:
    Either Trump was lying, using "alternative facts" (Kellyanne Conway Term), or inferring that the media hacked his twitter account. Here are DJT's tweets.

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Or, maybe you are?
    There is so much fake out there now, who ever knows?

In any event, listen to how CIA employees react to Trump calling out the media. I would not have guessed that this would be the proper audience for this take, but they ate it up.
    Which shows what? One thing it shows is that the media's characterization of Trump's incoming relationship with the Agency was not just wrong but, in all likelihood, probably intentionally so. Something I am willing to bet you they will not correct on their own.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Seattle Husker

21. Seattle Husker

Goalpost move.jpg

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I admit I did not even read what you wrote, I was just messing with you

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

LOL

• Like Like x 1
  25. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

There's no doubt that MANY of the refugees, immigrants, etc will be hard working, nose to the grindstone kind of folks. They risked a substantial amount to get here so it stands to reason, it is very important to them. However, I would wager that besides hard work, their status as immigrant children played a role in their admission to these liberal universities. I would also wager there are a few thousand existing American high school seniors with fabulous grades that worked hard and had outstanding bona fides to attend universities of this ilk, that were not admitted.

Immigrants are not a problem because they have a different skin color, they aren't a problem because they are lazy. They are a problem because we've adopted policies that allow immigrants to take positions in school and in the employment arena away from Americans.

Obviously, this janitor didn't make anywhere near enough to send his children to MIT and Stanford. Someone is footing the bill. That someone is the rest of the kids going to college and in some cases, taxpayers.

A large contributing factor to the rapid increase in college tuition is the idea that everyone needs to go to college(even the immigrant kids, of whom there are so many now). Increase demand leads to increased costs. So these two very hard working students have cost the rest of us in multiple ways. They are a very sympathetic story but ultimately I don't think these two success stories warrant all the rest of the problems that come with immigration.

Most of the immigrants aren't bringing education WITH THEM, they are obtaining education (on our dime) when they get here.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Steve Bannon does not give many interviews, but when he does he lets if fly
    Today he let everyone know what he thinks of the press, if there were any doubts.

“The media should be embarrassed and humiliated and keep its mouth shut and just listen for a while."

“I want you to quote this. The media here is the opposition party. They don’t understand this country. They still do not understand why Donald Trump is the president of the United States.”

“You’re the opposition party. Not the Democratic Party. You’re the opposition party. The media’s the opposition party.”

“The paper of record for our beloved republic, The New York Times, should be absolutely ashamed and humiliated. They got it 100 percent wrong.”

“That’s why you have no power. You were humiliated.”

“The mainstream media has not fired or terminated anyone associated with following our campaign. Look at the Twitter feeds of those people: they were outright activists of the Clinton campaign.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/business/media/stephen-bannon-trump-news-media.html

27. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Excellent post BrntOrng. I notice SH didn't respond and I don't blame him.

28. Seattle Husker

I won't disagree that their ethnicity or immigrant story likely played a role in their college admittance. As the father of a HS Senior (Georgetown interview was last week), I'm experiencing firsthand the desire for all colleges' search for diversity in their freshman class. Diversity of all stripes is sought: Ethnicity, Gender, Geography, socio-economic class and even interests are all prized. If you have the "outstanding bona fides" there is a university for you that will admit you.

Immigrant children who are citizen earning spots in college is waaayyyy down the list of things preventing other kids from getting into those schools. Look no further than International students for an example non-citizen students taking spots, particularly high ranking public institutions. Universities are literally leveraging the 3x cost of tuition that International students pay to subsidize budgets. In the employment arena, do you have any data to backup the assertion that immigrants are taking jobs from Americans? Here is an article that says it's not true with the exception of teenagers have been impacted. That P/T HS job our kids used to take at McDonald's is now taken by low wage immigrant willing to work more than 16hrs per week.

At private schools, this is being managed through endowments. Stanford now offers free tuition for any student with a family income less than $125k. Yes, their endowment is that large. Of course, that's the exception rather than the rule. I'm fortunate based on my income level to say that I'll likely be subsidizing other less fortunate kids by paying most of the tuition for my kids with little financial aid. Is that really an argument to hang our hat on for eliminating immigrants though?

To be clear, I do not support the "free education" movement. There is something to be said for sacrificing financially to earn that degree that builds character. My example was an anecdote that was relevant to my argument. Furthermore, the work ethic displayed by kids that weren't born with the benefit of starting from 2nd base is what much of our society is missing. These true American dream stories are what will complement the fortunate kids that expect more than they deserve. Without the hard workers pushing that majority of our kids, America as an economy will continue to wither.

That's not entirely true. Syria had an excellent education system before the war. It was one of the most developed in the Middle East. Some good family friends from Syria had their homes in Aleppo destroyed in the war. Their 2 sons attended U of Washington to get their bachelors and went on to gain masters degrees in Engineering fields from Princeton and NYU. Their father continues to be a high ranking official in UAE though they are Syrian by nationality. Again, an anecdote simply to show that there are well educated people in the refugee pool though our family friends gained citizenship long before the war.

29. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Husker
    Did you miss the word Most?

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts