The Media Industry

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by texas_ex2000, Jul 22, 2016.

1. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

1 out 8 people in US are immigrants (40MM). 1 out of 4 are immigrants and their children (80MM). No other country does this. Gulf countries who have vast foreign workers on limited work visas don't count.

2. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Doubtful that a single one of the CEO's would agree that Donald is setting them up for future success, despite the market rally.

Google alerted all employees holding passports or greencards from the 7 countries in question to not travel outside the US.

This reinforces my earlier point that immigrants have had a huge impact on our company. The tech sector in particular might be a shell of itself without 1st/2nd gen immigrants.

3. Seattle Husker

We want to aspire to be like the gulf countries? Trump's America is really different.

4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

You mean they stop exploiting immigrants?

5. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

hahahaha. That's cute.

I guess Trump was wrong...you can get tired of winning. It doesn't matter. You and all these other snowflake liberals will win and benefit whether you like it or not.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  6. Seattle Husker

Winning now or into the future? Most tech companies are thinking more than next month. Technical innovation doesn't happen in a month.

7. texas_ex2000

OMG...can you shut up?

All the expectations and information available to the market about a company's prospects and the future is already priced in.

You know what CEOs care about? Their stock price because that's the only thing the folks they work for (their investors) care about.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

9. texas_ex2000

That article was written in 2014. Those perspectives, assessments, and analysis were priced into the market in 2014, 2015, 2016, and the market's expectations about those issues are priced in 2017.

If it isn't obvious, the market strongly disagrees with SH.

10. Seattle Husker

Maybe you should tell Tim Cook to shut up oh wise one. At the very least, you may need to come up for some air as the future of our tech industry is more than spreadsheets.

11. texas_ex2000

Husker, you have no idea what you are talking about AT ALL. I can write something specious too like our future as a country and Americans are more then just lines of codes. You sound like a gender identity studies student spitting out nonsense in a corporate finance class. At Texas, Economics is in the College of Liberal Arts. It seems pretty obvious that you took too many coding classes and not enough economics and liberal arts classes.

If Trump was such a threat to Apple's business, why are they a getting a nearly 90% ROI since election day? Why are all these other companies the same? The market? Tim Cook IS a smart guy, why isn't the market listening to him? And winning now vs winning in the future...how do you ever win in the future if you never actually win in the present? Are they mutually exclusive? Do you know what it actually means when people and CEOs talk about short-term vs long-term investing and what they evaluate?

I know the answers..do you?

12. Seattle Husker

That Yale MBA has apparently inflated your head to the point that I'd suggest medical help. It's clouding you're thoughts to the point that you think you get to define what being American means for everyone and are the expert on the hi-tech industry which is heavily reliant on a limited global pool of technical skilled resources.

First, I'd suggest stepping away from the keyboard because you are clearly too emotional to be commenting now. We'll pick this up on Monday.

13. texas_ex2000

Husker, you're the one who's commenting on things you have no idea about. You provide no logic or evidence to any argument you throw out. If you come to West Mall commenting on stuff you know nothing about, you're gonna raked over the coals by everyone whether they have degrees from Sam Houston State or Yale. There are some people here who just stir the pot. And that's fine because they stay in their lane. You however, are actually trying to argue gibberish with all the depth of a Facebook thread.

Am I right that you never took an economics class? When I'm discussing something about the Law with lawyers on West Mall, I don't pretend to know more than the lawyers. I don't pretend my MBA or my knowledge of the Law supersedes their JDs, experiences, and knowledge. There are lawyers on this board of both ends of the political spectrum. I listen to what they say. LISTENING SKILLS...very important Husker.

If you demonstrated a modicum of knowledge of economics or finance, I wouldn't be so harsh - but then again, there wouldn't be anything to be harsh over.

And for your information, which is very public, for the past 3 years I have been a corporate banker in the not-for-profit sector. I take pride in helping and advising these organizations of all varieties and political leanings in achieving their missions. It's not spreadsheets, it's not lines of code, it's not apps or technology that matter. It's people. That's why I became a banker.

Take your time...take as long as you want to research...maybe youtube it. Maybe you can ask Siri for help on those questions. And you can come back and tell us what you found, and I'll point out again why you're posting nonsense.

Or you can try working on listening skills.

14. Seattle Husker

I have minor in Econ with my Bachelors and do hold an MBA from the U of Washington. Unlike you, it's not something I flaunt to claim some superiority. What you think really doesn't matter to me as all of your comments are loaded with condescension, including the ones about those you tutor. So, the high perch you now claim looks like a training stool when coupled with your previous comments. The only pride you exhibit is for your own viewpoints so maybe you should listen a little more, specifically to this next paragraph.

While you spout stock valuations I'm talking from 20+ years of work experience in the high-tech sector. Outside of "cashing in", the valuations have nothing to do with our daily work or strategy. NPV calculations are a means to a business case to fund our projects. Still, the ideas and delivery are driven by people, not the money. We are solely focused on products and stock valuations and budgets don't build products, people do. People that often require immigration because our colleges aren't spitting out enough talent to fill our needs. This is why my current team consists of 35 people that span the US, Philippines, India and will soon spread into Eastern Europe. Immigration constraints, especially travel constraints offer a direct challenge to product delivery success for nearly all technology companies irrespective of whatever valuations you flaunt. Tim Cook knows this. Satya Nadella knows this. It's understandable why a banker wouldn't despite your alternate fact-like claims. If you understood this then you'd realize how arrogant this statement is.

15. texas_ex2000

It comes up sporadically because the Ivy League, like the military, as a social institution is regularly brought up as a political discussion.

I am VERY surprised by that. Shocked honestly. I have never read anything that you have ever typed that suggested you've studied economics or finance on an advanced level. Did you have a specific concentration in your MBA?

Are you talking about my PhD student who despite his intelligence lacked confidence, work ethic, and accountability and needed a taskmaster to be tough on him (Page 23 of this thread liked by 8 people)?

After his final, which he aced, his wife (a CPA) cooked us dinner and gave me a big bonus. The point of that post from like two weeks ago was the importance of parents holding students accountable and giving them confidence. Snowflakes have problems with that obviously. My student did not.

Impressive. So would you describe yourself more accurately as a business person or project manager/engineer? I'm not questioning you knowledge of technology or even technology development. But in those 20+ years experience, did you ever work with these tech sector CEOs or CFOs on the following: Board presentation? Quarterly earnings call/presentation? A merger or acquisition? An IPO or debt financing? Bank negotiations? An enterprise level budget and projection? Investor road shows? SEC filings?

You may discount the value of that work in a tech company, but finance is the movement of capital into your enterprise to produce an investment return and create economic value. And investors analyze a whole spectrum of data points from the company's R&D pipeline, markets, and liquidity to macroeconomic factors such as corporate tax rates, interest rates, government regulations, and yes - immigration policies.

What role do you play in your company? Are you in the C-suite? Because it absolutely haunts the time of the CEO, CFO, and COO. I assume as an MBA you understand that stock prices are derived by various cash flow models based on earnings expectations and the company's cost of capital. If you're some kind of project manager, you're a very small of part of that and are only concerning yourself with your little share of that enterprise.

NPV is a calculation to do lots of things. It's ridiculous to have to type this...but it's not just used in project case valuation and budgeting. Again, cash flow models such as dividend discount models are also used by investors, corporate financial planners, equity research analysts, investment bankers, CEOs/CFOs/COOs, etc. for corporate enterprise valuation every single day.

Good point there Husker. Would you also submit that the whole point of technology and coding and hardware is to serve people? Technology is not an end to itself.

This is just my very confrontational opinion, but the more technology pervades our lives, the more we lose our humanity. We lose the art of relationship building, the art of driving a vehicle to your destination, the art of cooking a good meal, the art of handwriting a thoughtful correspondence to a friend, the art of reading well thought out ideas, the art of talking with your family. Modern convinces have made our lives easier, mundane, and less romantic. It's diluted the repercussions of fundamentally unhealthy decisions and behavior. It's accelerated the extinction of charm, chivalry, etiquette, and empathy. Take this thread as an ironic example. The most disruptive technology in our lives in the past decade is social media. Frankly from my point of view, while keeping in touch is relatively easier, the net impact of social media is the dividing apart of family and friends.

Social media/technology, arguably may have been the deciding factor in Donald Trump's victory...think about it.

Why is that? Could it be because college is too expensive? Could it be because despite what some people think, the ROI on a STEM degree isn't economical compared to other fields? And why would that be the case? Why is combatting illegal immigration from countries with strong ties to terrorism material to that problem? Is your company hiring illegal immigrants? Is your company hiring terrorists?

Aaaawww...thank you for looking after my people. My mom, a nurse who owned and founded her own dialysis company caring for elderly patients thinks Trump is great.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  16. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Hmmm...note to self about the quality of education at UW....

17. texas_ex2000

Seattle, I'm still flabbergasted by some of your economic policy comments (moreso in other threads than this one), but knowing your background I'll be more civil here. I obviously have a lot of b-school classmates who also hate Trump. However, almost all of them focus their hate on stuff like feminist topics and his general persona rather than on business/economics, but I digress.

The reason why Tim Cook makes those statements and yet investors are extremely bullish on this sector and the economy in general, is because progressive values are part of today's corporate branding in many industries.

For example, that is why all these companies talk so much about diversity yet are hilariously dominated by white males. Do investors and the market really care about the diversity (and progressive values) of the c-suite of their company? No. They might care insomuch that Apple's consumers care that Tim Cook talks about it - the liberal m.o. But fundamentally, investors care about earnings, cash flow, and the stock price. What can we conclude from that? Just my opinion, but I submit that for many industries including tech, the corporate branding of diversity is much more material than ACTUAL diversity to earnings/cash flow/etc.

Count it. 15/18 white males in Apple senior executives. 5/8 white males (1 black male) Apple Board of Directors. 77% of Apple senior leaders are white males...which is actually MORE THAN the 75% in Trump's Cabinet and White House Staff according to Politico.

http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/donal.../2017/01/trumps-cabinet-by-the-numbers-234117

UW has a very good MBA program.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  18. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

19. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

So Trump put a ban on Filipinos, Indians and American citizens?

20. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

How many of those immigrants were Muslims?

21. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Answer: None of them practiced Islam.

• Like Like x 3
  22. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

23. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

I'll tell him to shut up. I'll also tell him he better start working on something new instead of recycling the past successes of Jobs because he seems more concerned with being a gay liberal than running a company that was hugely successful based on innovation.

• Like Like x 1
  24. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Amazing artwork that Christiane Amanpour has in her dining room
    The artist is Iranian

[​IMG]

26. Seattle Husker

I appreciate the note on UW. You're right...my emphasis wasn't finance but rather Technology Management. Though I don't currently sit in the C-suite I'm close enough to be within spitting distance. We could bore everyone here with a debate on why diversity is so critical to company cultures and would likely still fall on opposite sides of the argument. Let's spare everyone for now.

My wife is half-Filipino. My mother-in-law was the first minority woman to achieve her doctorate in Washington State. So, the draw to the Filipino culture is a little more than work related. I have noticed that Trump has a lot of support among Filipino's in the US. Of course, they also think Duterte is the bomb thus I'm starting to believe they have an affinity for autocrats.

27. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

Or a lot more American Citizens might be employed in the tech sector.

28. Seattle Husker

US colleges don't put out enough Computer Science and Computer Engineering grads. It's as simple as that.

29. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Is it that simple?

http://www.epi.org/publication/current-proposed-high-skilled-guestworker/

Current and proposed high-skilled guestworker policies discourage STEM students and grads from entering IT

Already U.S. colleges graduate 50 percent more computer science majors than are able to find a job in IT. If either the proposed SKILLS Visa Act from Representatives Issa (R-Calif.) and Goodlatte (R-Va.), or the current version of the proposed comprehensive immigration reform bill in the Senate is enacted (S.744), a conservative estimate is that there will be 180,000 new college-educated IT workers under 30 years old entering the labor market every year via guestworker visas or STEM green cards. If this occurs, each year the number of new IT guestworkers and STEM green card beneficiaries will be greater than the number of new hires of young IT college graduates in 2011. Such a policy will discourage U.S. students with STEM degrees from entering IT, the country’s largest high-tech field, comprising half of the entire STEM workforce.

According to the U.S. Government Accountability Office, the country’s largest skilled guestworker program (H-1B) is primarily used to fill “entry-level” positions. Thus, recent graduates in the science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) fields seeking an initial foothold in the IT job market are competing directly with young college-educated guestworkers for these entry-level positions. The large supply of young guestworkers not only provides competition to new U.S. graduates, but also provides a large supply of younger, lower-paid workers who can substitute for older workers. The effect of this large supply of guestworkers can be seen in wages in IT, which have remained flat, and are hovering around late 1990s levels in real terms. This lack of wage growth acts as a discouraging signal to STEM grads considering entering the IT job market.

30. texas_ex2000

http://www.msn.com/en-in/news/newsi...n-us-minimum-pay-more-than-doubled/ar-AAmrdMz