The Media Industry

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by texas_ex2000, Jul 22, 2016.

1. militaryhorn

militaryhorn I've Been Working on the Railroad...

I could watch these all day long.

Joe Fan, Clean and Brad Austin like this.
  2. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 1,000+ Posts

Clean likes this.
  3. Clean

Clean 2,500+ Posts

Waiting to see how the fake media will spin the story of the white, unarmed, pajama-clad Minneapolis woman shot to death by a Somali-born cop named Mohamed for no apparent reason - after she called 9-1-1 to report an assault, no less.

Reportedly, the cop who shot her was sitting on the passenger side of the car and fired across his partner's body to kill her on the driver's side! Cop has only been on the force for two years and already had three complaints lodged against him.

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

5. Phil Elliott

I wonder if Putin got 2 scoops of ice cream as well?

6. 4th_floor

4th_floor 500+ Posts

Trump and Putin were probably creating meme's making fun of Barry - those traitorous SOBs!

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Need a sign of hope for America?

Kids on DC tours are yelling at journalists, calling them "fake news"

[​IMG]

8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez 5,000+ Posts

Obviously nobody should even be joking about journalists being killed or physically threatened. However, if they wonder why they're not trusted by so many people, perhaps they need to look in the mirror.

9. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

That's what really bothers me about this whole thing. So far, the complains from journalists seem to be "If people don't trusts journalists, then our society is in big trouble. So you need to trust us! Because... we're journalists and if you don't trust journalists then...."

We don't use that argument with politicians or other public officials (well... we're not supposed to, anyway), so I'm not sure wjhy journalists believe they should be immune to that level of scrutiny.

4th_floor and Mr. Deez like this.
  10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez 5,000+ Posts

The guarantee of a free press gives them delusions that they are an indispensable element of the republic. That's true to a point, but the freedom of the press only protects them from government interference. It doesn't guarantee them a right of deference or credibility from anybody. If they blow that credibility (as they have), then they have no special right to deference.

They also don't have a right to print ********. Many Trump critics freaked out when he suggested loosening lawsuits against media outlets. I wasn't one of them (though I was hostile to him on numerous other things). If we overturned New York Times v. Sullivan law, we'd have the same press environment that we had from 1789 - 1964. Who thinks the political media has more credibility now than it had then? I'll bet nobody.

11. Phil Elliott

I don't agree. They are reaping what they have sown and rightly so, IMO.

12. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I agree, not so much in condoning harm to them. But their corrupt and purposely divisive behavior has directly caused much violence and death these recent years.

13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez 5,000+ Posts

You won't get an argument from me here.

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

15. mchammer

mchammer 2,500+ Posts

Journalists have been given a free ride for so long that any push back at all is considered nazi tactics.

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

US general somewhat politely lays missing out on killing al-Baghdadi at the feet of the NYT, and its determined penchant to leak. We are talking the blood of Americans + countless Iraqis

17. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

the reason they are purposefully divisive is because there is an audience for such a product and that is because there is no general agreement on much of anything. And hasn't been since time began.
    Dumping on the press because you don't like what they are saying is stupid. Stupid.

If you don't like what you see or hear from the media, go back to watching that stupid garbage peddled as entertainment in the theaters and on television. Or just make up your own facts

18. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 1,000+ Posts

How would acting in the same manner as the moronic media help the situation? They deserve every criticism aimed at them. It's called authentic feedback. If they, or you for that matter, don't like the criticism, I would suggest an attempt at honesty.