The Media Industry

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by texas_ex2000, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Adrianna is no longer with the HP. It is owned by AOL.

So does everyone think it is over for Kavanaugh?

2. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I think there are basically three people who need to be on board in the next couple of days. I haven't written those three off, particularly since Collins has seemed pretty put out by the entire approach by the Dems. Flake is just petty, spiteful, and self-centered enough to stand firm basically to say "Screw You" to Trump. That's the one that to me is the toughest bet.

3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

No, I think it is dishonest at best. Willfully partisan, unpatriotic, and yellow journalism.

4. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Tariffs are a tax on consumers. That is why we should be against them even if our trade partners aren't behaving properly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

You may be right
    so then how would you make things more equitable ?

6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Have to disagree. This is a consumption tax that many conservatives support. The downside is that exports get dinged with retribution tariffs. That’s the issue - not the tax per tax policy. Recall tariffs funded the federal government for over 100 years.

7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

No. There is no there there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mc
    I hope you are right.
    I have been watching and reading to much MSM

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Ask and ye shall receive

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Horns6721, Chinese tariffs hurt their own people. I would discuss this with them and hold their feet to the fire over things like IP, corporate espionage, etc. But the answer isn't to tax the American consumer because the Chinese consumer is being taxed.
    There are many more things that the US-China should negotiate but the US is misbehaving similarly to China on monetary policy and financial policy. We would have to stop inflating our own currency and end the Fed before we started discussing those issues. That is a big part of the problem with China. They centrally plan their economy to reduce unemployment. To do that they produce more than is really needed in a lot of industries. To get rid of the excess supply they "dump" it on the global market. That is actually a benefit to global consumers at the detriment to Chinese producers.

Mchammer, the US financed the government using tariffs when that is all they had was sales, duties, and tariffs. If the Federal government eliminated income, payroll, and corporate taxes all together, I would agree that tariffs aren't that big a deal. But under the current tax structure they are a HUGE deal. My company is being effected greatly because we export. Much of that is going away now.

The goal is always free trade. Less barriers. Less cost. Less regulation. Less rules. Even one side of free trade is better than no sides practicing free trade and that is where we are headed.

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Haley says the NYT knew the truth about the curtains before publication but chose to lie about it anyway

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I thought this was somewhat interesting
    I only tuned in Levin once and I thought he was much calmer than he seems to be on the radio. However, it was very slow paced and he spent a lot of time reading text out loud, which I always thought was a no-no on TV. Anyway, I may give him another try now.
    Also, Ben Shapiro has a Sunday Show now on Fox as well. His first effort was pretty good too.

13. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I watched a bit of Levin's show on youtube. It was good stuff. Very calm as you describe. We need more calm, intellectual discussions of things on TV. I will watch if I find it on. I watched a bit of Shapiro too. The most surprising thing I found on that show was that Jason Whitlock has become a voice of reason. It was refreshing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

My little city made the Drudge Report

15. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

JF
    this from tweet thread
    "Houston has more nudie bars per square mile than any city in America."

is this true?

16. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I don't get the demand for robots of this nature. Are people insane?

• Like Like x 1
  17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, why not f**k a hole in a tree?

18. Sangre Naranjada

Splinters... Not that I am speaking from experience, mind you. That's just the first obvious objection that came to mind.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  19. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I guess if Aggies will do that with sheep anything is possible.

20. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Yes.

21. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Robots cant testify.

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Ah, that's true. I hadn't thought of that. Also maybe a husband caught can use Clinton style logic that he hadn't really cheated against his wife.

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It used to be true, but the city has been cracking down the last 10 years or so, which chased most of them away. So I doubt it is still true

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Surprise?
    Really?
    Is there a single adult in our country who would be surprised by this?
    I guess we should just be thankful journalists finally found some liberal comedy to share.

[​IMG]

25. Sangre Naranjada

I never knew there was going to be a Murphy Brown reboot. Not that it matters to me. It's just another show I get to actively not watch.

• Like Like x 1
  26. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

It's about time they finally wrote a comedy where liberals could be free to express their feelings on political issues.

• Funny Funny x 3
  27. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

The Google news feed has apparently turned into a Vox and Huffpo surrogate as I get to read headlines of random people like Parkland parents and b list celebrities condemn Kavanaugh. Does that really deserve attention on a compendium of news feeds?

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Google and Facebook are going away someday.

29. Sangre Naranjada

The simple solution is to jettison your google news feed.

30. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Jettison all of it. There are alternatives to Google search, maps, cloud, gmail, etc. Many are free and are as good as the Google apps. Confession - I still use my gmail account. It's a bit of a pain to ensure all of your contacts know your new address. I think switching emails is worse in some ways than physically moving.