The Media Industry

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by texas_ex2000, Jul 22, 2016.

1. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

The bias and frivolity doesn’t bother me. UT educated me well in that regard. Just making a point that a large number of people likely pull up Google News as some sort of responsible sampling of neutral news sources.

2. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I'm using DuckDuckGo search. It isn't as good but I still use it. What are the alternatives to Docs, Drive, and Maps?

3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Is MapQuest still a thing?

5. Sangre Naranjada

It was more useful to me while driving through Italy than googlemaps was.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I laughed

• Like Like x 1
  7. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

What is Bill Maher exactly? He looks like an android like Data from Star Trek Next Generation. He is about as funny. But he has a very popular TV show about politics.

Progressives have done a very good job of turning comedian like people into political commentators. I credit that with the culture shifting so much over the last 10 years and Conservatives are just now catching on. Of course Conservative attempts to counter this only exist on internet sites and the like. T

8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I've driven through Italy. It's hell. So many streets are unsigned or so poorly signed that you can't tell where the hell you are. Futhermore, buildings frequently don't have numbers on them. If Italians weren't drunk all the time, their mailmen would be suicidal. If MapQuest worked pretty well, I'll have to check that out.

9. Sangre Naranjada

Let me be more precise. Mapquest worked in advance for me. I put GPS coordinates into the TomTom that were derived from Mapquest, and the TomTom took us where we needed to go, down to the parking lot in, for instance, Verona, where we wanted to park while we walked the town.

I found Mapquest to have more recently updated maps and location functionality than google did.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

I don't know if it's true, but there are a lot of them. And no, I haven't gone to one since I was in my 20s.

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• poop poop x 1
  12. Sangre Naranjada

Or more precisely, what "boofing" meant to a bunch of high school boys in the early 80s.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

It's encouraging that Yahoo is getting ratio'ed on this, but still. It's going to get visibility, liberals are going to be offended and shocked, and it will be one more "mistake" that Yahoo will either justify or quietly walk back where no one will notice the correction.

14. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Ever notice how all the media "mistakes" only go one way?

• Like Like x 1
  15. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

And it’s also coincidence that only ugly liberal women get sexually assaulted that comes out right before an election. SMH!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

So I was listening to Meet the Press while my car was having maintenance done on it, and I was reminded of how much that show had gone down the hill.

They had Chris Coons as a guest. I heard Coons repeat the Democratic talking point that the FBI investigation was bogus because they didn't interview corroborating witnesses that Ford had identified. Of course, any remotely fair reporter would have asked the following:

1. What are these witnesses' names?
    2. Have you talked to them?
    3. Did you press the Judiciary Committee to subpoena them?

But instead of doing that, Chuck Todd just let a completely uncorroborated narrative go unchallenged. That's how you credibly get called "fake news."

I also notice that these "news" shows virtually never have both the Republican and Democratic guests on at the same time. The used to be very common, and it worked well, because if the host didn't challenge something, the adversarial guest would. It's almost as if the hosts don't want that to happen now.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

He is a flaming liberal that fills his audience with the same. Not sure what measure you are using to say he is popular . Apparently he is a major shareholder of HBO. Otherwise his show would have been cancelled long ago.

18. Phil Elliott

Bill Maher is a flaming liberal, of course, but I do respect him standing up for free speech, against the preferences of his guest and his audience:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Bill Maher has been good on free speech and the danger of radical Islam. I give him credit on those issues, but otherwise he is a scumbag.

I didn't know he was in a leadership position in HBO. But even to become a major shareholder means somewhere down the line he was popular enough to make enough money to do that. Or maybe he is enjoying some form of nepotism. Who knows.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

I agree but to be fair, he has a personal axe to grind on both of those issues. He actually was kicked off ABC years ago because of some inane comments about 9/11. And he also happens to be aggressively anti-religion regardless of which religion.

I doubt he would be so Libertarian about the 2nd Amendment.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

22. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

23. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Which is why the traditional media industry needs to die. We don't need them anymore. As long as we can maintain a free internet you will be able to find all the perspectives and the competition will lead to vetting and more careful reporting. Monopolies do as they do unfortunately.

24. ProdigalHorn

We actually need them desperately... even more now in an era when you get "news" from anyone, any time, regardless of their background or level of expertise. The problem is that the media has completely abdicated their role and taken on the job of advocacy, which means that we simply don't have that neutral, facts-based place we can see as our "home base" for making political and social decisions.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

A good Tucker Carlson segment on the crazies

26. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

If having a journalism degree, going through a job interview, and working for a media company which is supposed to have certain ethics isn't enough to ensure reliable news reporting, then why are they so critical.

The problem is they are monolithic and able to act like a monopoly. So now they report not what is true necessarily but what brings about the effect they most want.

First, even individual bloggers can be honest and demonstrate reporting ethics. Second, they will be held accountable by each other. News decentralization is the way to go. At this point in time anyone with eyes and a smartphone can communicate reliable information.

27. Phil Elliott

Cuz yeah the established media is soooo trustworthy and always gets it right:

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  28. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I am guessing Rice would have to move to Maine so she could run
    edit
    her family has a house in Maine but she does not live there

yet

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  29. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

See! If we had unbiased internet media platforms the journalists would hold themselves accountable. Even with biased Twitter some of that still happens.

30. ProdigalHorn

You're taking a different approach from what I'm saying. My point is that we need people who are trained in journalism, who understand how to interview, how to research, how to understand multiple viewpoints and how to articulate those things clearly in a way that's fair. I can tell you, that does not describe the blogging community on any level. You can probably count on two hands the number of political amateur bloggers who are trying to do that.

The fact that journalists have in many cases failed to live up to that doesn't negate the need for good journalists, and it doesn't make bloggers any better or more reliable at what they do. They might actually be right in what they're reporting. That doesn't make them journalists.

• Like Like x 1