The Media Industry

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by texas_ex2000, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Can any of the lawyers in the room explain why, if the Chicago PD wants to talk to Smollett for further questioning, they don't just go and arrest him? Would I be afforded the luxury of deciding if or when I would submit to further questioning by the police?

Is it a simple matter of the CPD walking on pins and needles and being fearful of bad press , etc., if they arrest an apparently famous gay black man?

3. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I think you answered your question. Jussie's situation has become highly politicized and when you have Booker citing his case as justification for the anti-lynching law then you probably have cause to be ultra careful because they know they will be ripped to shreds by the media and Liberal politicians if they don't get this one right. Jussie has apparently doubled-down on his accusation. He is electing to go down in flames if he is lying and if he is lying then he needs serious treatment from the law and a psychiatrist. The by any means necessary mentality of these activists is over the top. They are OCD and fame as an activist is an addicting drug. They want to go viral.

4. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It is unbelievable to me that we now have this clear trend of media compliance with false flag narratives: Kids in MAGA hats; Trump instructing his lawyer to lie; Jussie... but if you bring it up online (as I do on Yahoo) you get ripped to shreds. I mean absolute destruction of your own character. They just move on, bull-dozing anyone and anything in their path. It's truly sick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. horninchicago

I'm just wondering if it is within the law for this guy to refuse to go the PD and answer questions. My tongue in cheek post aside, it's BS. You and I would not get away with this when it is becoming clear this whole thing was faked.

6. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I think it is your right to invoke the 5th amendment but then you're the guy who invoked the 5th amendment. I think he has been trying to act like a normal victim who core dumps about the crime he endured. Typically they'd be down there showing them every shred of evidence they have.

One thing about phones though. I am becoming slightly more sympathetic to those who do not wish to turn them over. We all probably have at least one text unrelated to the situation we'd rather not see floating around. Sexting and the like is fine with your willing partner. But do you want it out there? What about other aspects of your personal life?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

He can refuse, but if he is not cooperating during the investigation phase, the local prosecutor can subpoena him to appear in front of a grand jury. I believe he goes to jail if he doesn't cooperate with the grand jury.

Once he is arrested, however, he can lawyer up and shut up.

8. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

The police can subpoena phone records from the phone company and Smollett can't do a damn thing about it. I'm sure that is underway now. It just takes some time.

9. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Refusing to talk to the cops is your right as you say. But then you are letting them investigate and make decisions without your input. It would be an interesting tactic if the allegations were true. I'm trying to figure out the advantage to Jussie to be evasive.

10. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Q: Why would you ever refuse to cooperate when you are the victim?

A: You wouldn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. horninchicago

This is the point. He was quick to be vocal when he was the victim. Now, not so much.

And, when will Booker et al walk back their statements? I won't hold my breath.

12. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

The first thing the Bolsheviks did when they took over in 1917 was declare freedom of the press, no more censorship from the Czar. The second thing they did was send armed men to all the printing presses to control what was and was not printed.

Same thing here, but much more subtley.

13. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Check this:

Lawmakers launch new probe into 'complex web' of alleged ties between NRA, Russians

"A complex web of alleged ties." That's it. It's been proven. This is our media. This is why they are being attacked. Trump did not collude. There is no proof. Now we go after the NRA so we can take the guns away from law-abiding Americans. The coup is on by the radical Left. There are no Democrats left; they have been indoctrinated or intimidated. But the CLEAR evidence of Obama mocking Mitt Romney for engaging in "cold war thinking," telling the Russians he would have more flexibility after the election and the fact that the hacks occurred on his watch are to be ignored.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

The left/media also ignores that the Steele dossier was Russian propaganda that came from Hillary's camp yet Trump was the one that colluded. As I've said before the American media is extremely dangerous because of their constant disinformation and I don't know of a way of changing it. I feel your frustration.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

by
    " I'm trying to figure out the advantage to Jussie to be evasive."
    Being evasive and uncooperative gave the Dems time to get that bill passed.
    Jussie has shown himself to hate Trump enough I think he would be willing to plan and participate in this.
    The downside for him will be minimal. He will be considered a hero by the haters.

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I disagree with that. Our system is pretty good, but it isn't always that good.

18. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

So you're going to report a crime and then be uncooperative? Why report it at all?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  19. horninchicago

20. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

It's very possible that Jesse Smollett may not be very bright.

21. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

But he's an actor. They're smarter than all of us aren't they?

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. horninchicago

23. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  24. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Ia
    A CBS chicago report said the police found magazines with pages cut out at the Nigerians place.

WAIT WHAT??
    Russians and the NRA?
    I have to go back and read more.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  25. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Cool, I could use a sawbuck.

26. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

This is better than some movies out lately
    So the Nigerians are American?
    "“We are not racist. We are not homophobic, and we are not anti-Trump. We were born and raised in Chicago and are American citizens,” the two said in a statement quoted by CNN.
    It was all about the Benjamins Baby

27. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

I’d beat his *** for $8,000!

28. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

ia
    You are way too cheap :beertoast:

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

You can bet the Cook County DA has been involved from early on

There is a blog by the wife of a Chicago Cop where she alleges the police did not believe him from the outset, and were invested in giving him every chance to come clean and be honest

• Like Like x 1