The Media Industry

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by texas_ex2000, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

I've always supported enforcing the law at the borders, including the deportations by the Obama Admin.

That assume Trump used a speech writer. His rhetoric in that initial speech were closely aligned to his myriad of off the cuff remarks which have strong racist undertones.

He paid for a full page ad to arguing guilt fo 5 black boys who were later exonerated.

2. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

25 Years Later, The Central Park Five Are Finally Getting Paid

"Naturally, the Central Park Five pursued legal action, only to be rebuffed by Michael Bloomberg, Gotham's recently departed billionaire mayor, who staunchly resisted a deal for more than a decade."

Does Bloomberg get a pass for this? An ad versus vigorously fighting the compensation for the wrong?

3. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

There is little truth seeking in science and economics too. All these guys are there to support those in power and what they want people to hear.

If Trump is proven to NOT have colluded, then the lie will get more complicated and those in power will require the people to have more and more faith in them despite the truth.

4. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Bill Kristol too. He doesn't identify as a Democrat but his comments come from the same place.

5. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

With your constant cries of racism, you’re the Jussie Smollett of this board.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Not the Onion

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

CNN actually calls this attack "alleged" despite their own foto

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

The Guardian, where fast is slow, night is day, and lies are truth.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Hundreds of ISIS fighters surrendered yesterday in Syria -- anyone see this in the US media?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

That's because Trump isn't backing them like Obama did and the current NSA wants to do.

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I tend to agree with this perspective. The US media is a big, out of control bully that needs to get punched (financially) in the nose. Maybe a few times. And maybe 1st Amendment needs a couple tweaks as well.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It's still news and should be covered. I would even go so far as to call it reasonably significant world news.

14. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Yeah. I agree.

Also, think about this. ISIS is surrendering to Assad. They wouldn't do that if they thought Assad would kill them or torture them in prison. They would fight to the death if that was the case. Now, the ISIS guys routinely raped and decapitated people that they were in control of.

Shows you who the real villains were. It wasn't the group the US military was fighting against.

15. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The First Amendment is fine. A stupid court decision (New York Times v. Sullivan) is what needs to be tweaked, and by "tweaked," I mean that the current court needs to wipe its *** with it. The whole purpose of it was to protect liberal journalists who wanted to distort and inject their politics into their coverage of civil rights incidents without fear of getting sued in southern state courts. It was a stupid and meritless case at the time, and it's a stupid and meritless case now. Media coverage has only gone down since.

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Did mean "1st Amendment Law." I think thats how i had it but then somehow erased the one word. But whatever

17. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

And I concur with your broader point. I just don't want to give legitimacy to the decision by calling for a constitutional amendment. It's a ******** decision. The First Amendment is just fine and always was.

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Everyone?

More like "all 10 of the people you know in the part of New York City you hang out"

[​IMG]

19. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Another one to watch for - in 2016, the Republican presidential primary season was frequently referred to as a "clown car" because it had a ton of candidates fighting hard and sometimes messy for the nomination. We're likely to have a similar situation on the Democratic side in 2020. I can guarantee you that process will be shown a hell of a lot more respect.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I have been thinking about that Deez. Haven't heard it called a 'comedy' show like we did with the number of Repubs back in 2016. If the GOP was smart (and they are not) they would show some comparisons in ads, but they won't.

22. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

If you have an opportunity to listen and you have three hours, Joe Rogan did an three-hour interview with Jack Dorsey of Twitter along with one of his people in charge of trust and safety, along with conservative journalist Tim Pool. Regardless of your stance, it's a really good discussion, and while there's clearly some blind spots still there with Twitter, it was good to see that there seems to be a genuine desire to try and be balanced and keep people engaged and not censored. It's also a very clear eye-opener that while it may not be intentional, Twitter is very clearly not enforcing its rules evenly.

BTW you may see some short clips that are basically posted to bash Twitter, and I'd definitely encourage you to watch the entire thing.

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I google image searched "Democrats clown car" and it only came back with pics of the 2016 Republican Primary clown car. About 30 of them on the first page. Not a Dem clown car in sight. But there were a couple of Hillary as a sad clown.

They way google altered its search algos to favor libs should probably be a crime.

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It appears Tucker Carlson has become so effective that he has now scared liberals into targeting him with a smear campaign aimed at removal.
    They have done this before and will, no doubt, do it again.
    [​IMG]

25. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

He mainly disagrees with Liberals on Trump and war. He isn't that far removed from them on economics. Shows me the Washington Post has plenty of exCIA working there. Media companies are a part of the revolving door with the NSA.

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  27. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Carlson. He is basically telling Media Matters to screw off, and that isn't the usual routine, which is to issue a phony apology and hope the story dies.

What I think is somewhat absurd is the hypocrisy. They think Fox News should fire Carlson for stuff he said 8+ years ago, but MSNBC was ok with keeping him on the air when he was making them.

28. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

It's the right strategy. Trump proved that. You apologize and you tell them they have something that matters. You apologize and they will never be satisfied until you are fired or resign.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I think there is a time to apologize, but this isn't it. It's utterly pointless, and those who are accusing him are hypocritical and are doing so entirely in bad faith.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Does anyone want to address what Tucker actually said?

6 posts and all the critiques are of the criticism. One might almost get the impression that y'all find Tucker's quotes acceptable, maybe even agree with them.