The Media Industry

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by texas_ex2000, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Monahorns

Monahorns 1,000+ Posts

I don't care what Tucker said 8 years ago and I don't think he should be fired for it. It is up to his employer to check that upfront and determine if he is employable or not. But it is much more important for them to monitor what he is saying as an employee. If Tucker is being unjustly accused, his employer needs to show some loyalty.

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 3:24 PM
  3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez 10,000+ Posts

SPLC is like a lot of other civil rights organizations. It did some good in the past, but it is a victim of its own success. At this point, it simply doesn't have that much notable work to do - at least not very much that comports with its political agenda. However, guys like Morris Dees still need to make money and frankly, still need a reason to get out of bed in the morning. Accordingly, they have to embellish and over-dramatize in order to justify their usefulness.

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Dees is accused of, among other things, molesting or attempting to molest his step-daughter. My post about this from back in the summer, which went otherwise unnoticed, is below. The charges are old. So it seems like everyone there was cool with it as long as the money kept flowing.

5. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez 10,000+ Posts

I knew nothing about that. It's amazing how little media attention that is getting. What happened to believing women?

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Politically connected Democrats are playing by a different set of rules from the rest of us
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

There is a reason CNN owns the basement

Cable News Rankings Thu Mar 14
    [​IMG]

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Go get them Lin Wood

9. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez 10,000+ Posts

It's going to depend on whether he's a limited purpose public figure or a private individual. I think the case that he's a public figure is absurd. All the guy did was show up at a political rally, and then the media went on a full-blown character assassination because they didn't like his hat and his facial expression. He has sought attention himself, but that was since and in response to the defamation. If the media hadn't gone on an unhinged shitstorm, we'd have no idea who Nick Sandmann was.

Nevertheless, if he's held to be a public figure, he'll probably lose, because the Washington Post will be able to raise the "I'm stupid" defense. They'll win on that point. However, that would set up an appeal that could end with the NYT v. Sullivan bring overturned (though that's a long shot), which would be a wonderful thing. It would fundamentally change the way media outlets and commentators function overnight.

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It cannot be said that he thrust himself into the vortex of the public eye

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Would be nice if, in light of the recent arrests/indictments in the academic admissions arena, some independent journalist would ask how Chelsea Clinton got into Stanford

And how and why does she have a faculty position at NYU?

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

USA Today Poll
    Only 8% trust MSNBC
    [​IMG]