The Mighty Maryland Terrapins

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by El Torito, Sep 10, 2017.

1. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

. . .are now 2-0 after blowing out Towson 63-17. They rumbled to 630 years of rushing, with Ty Johnson racking up 256 yards. Solid game on both sides of the ball.

Granted, it was Towson, but the Terms are now 2-0. DJ Durkin is doing something in College Park.

If the Terps beat UCF and Minnesota (not a tall order), they could roll into the Ohio State game on Oct 7 4-0. Having seen Maryland play us and Ohio State play BlowU, the Buckeyes can't look at Maryland as an automatic win.

I post this because the conventional wisdom that we should have beat Maryland handily is, well, not so conventional. The Terrapins are a well coached football team with power run mentality. I think they are a good measuring stick for Texas as the season progresses. :hookem:

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

I hope Maryland wins out

Terps beating the Buckeyes would be delicious

• Like Like x 1
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Anybody beating Urban Myth and/or Ohio State is delicious. :hookem2:

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

El,

Maryland is indeed well coached, but not talented. Ohio State, Michigan, State Penn, Wisconsin are all much better, and I imagine so will be Nebraska, Michigan State. Iowa, and maybe Northwestern. Any of those teams UMd will beat will be accomplished by superior coaching and preparation.

5. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

Even, ugh, blowu.....

• Like Like x 1
  6. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

In Towson State's first game they beat Morgan State in "The battle for Baltimore," 10-0. The game was played before 6,500 fans.
    Maryland running over Towson State is like playing a junior college team. It means nothing in relation to how they will play against their B1G opponents.
    UCF should be a win. And Minnesota will be a tossup. But they certainly could be 4-0. I don't think Maryland will finish in the top 6 teams in the BiG.

Our game against them was, I hope, our worst performance of the season.

7. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

It's like playing Nicholls State or Liberty

• Like Like x 3
  8. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

We should have beat Maryland, but we should not have beat them handily. I still say we should have won, but I predicted a close win and never thought it was an automatic win. Our fans seemed to think they had 05 Texas playing San Jose State when in reality we have a maybe 8 win team with a new coaching staff in their first game against another maybe 8 win team with a good coaching staff in their second year.

I think we will be in for a close game with them again next year.

• Like Like x 1
  9. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

I just suggest that Maryland is a better team than people expected, including myself. I don't think they can swim into first place in a tough conference, but they sure have the potential to make things interesting.

After Week 2, Penn State looks like the real deal after the brawl with Pitt. Wisconsin is solid on both sides of the ball as usual. Michigan took care of business late in the game against Cincinnati. Ohio State is still Ohio State, but they are 1-1 after getting de-pantsed by BlowU. JT Barrett looked terrible.

I don't know what to make of the remaining teams, but Iowa State took Iowa into overtime, which should have never happened. Nebraska and Northwestern both lost ugly. I know nothing about Indiana, Purdue, Rutgers, or Illinois. I may have missed some other team.