The Moody Centre

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Feb 28, 2022.

1. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

2. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Those are some optimistic foundation price points.

3. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

BADASS.

Volleyball games at Gregory used to be a quiet affair, but ever since students began getting good seats, starting in 2004, Texas has had one of the best home court atmospheres (and advantages) in the sport. Perhaps not coincidentally, Texas almost immediately went from a middling Big 12 team to winning the conference nearly every year.

We could see the same thing happen at the Moody Center.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

We had 4 years of being a middling volleyball team, from 2000 to 2003. We finished 7th, 6th, 4th, and 7th in conference during that stretch. That was the final year of Jim Moore's tenure as coach and the first three seasons under Elliott. Prior to that we were under Mick Haley (and the first three years of Moore), and we battled Nebraska for the conference title, after dominating the SWC.

I don't think the 4 year dip correlated so much to student seating at Gregory as it did to coaching changes, because we were dominant both before and after. But I am interested to learn about the timelines relating to student seating changes at Gregory if you have that info at hand.

EDIT: I agree 100% that this seating arrangement for basketball is BADASS, and I fully support it. I just got sidetracked by the VB history you brought up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

Oh, I agree; I'm not assigning 100% of the program improvement to the seating changes. But it certainly didn't hurt.

My freshman year, in 2003, Gregory Gym was 75% empty at your average conference game. Students could sit in either the upper deck (non-chairbacks) or in the top half of the section behind one end of the court (under the clock). Either choice was basically as far away from the action as possible. Students didn't want to go, and since that made for a dead home atmosphere, neither did anyone else.
    2004 was when students started getting good seats, and only a few weeks after the season began (I imagine word-of-mouth had to spread), the student section was filled to capacity from then on, and Gregory was rockin' at nearly every game. 2004 was also when a handful of still-used chants began, like "WHOSE HOUSE?!?"
    As far as I know, student seating hasn't changed since 2004. There may have been some minor tweaks.

Don't laugh - some of the very best sporting events I've been to at UT were volleyball games, and the student-led atmosphere is a big reason why. The crowd is small, but passionate. It takes about a decade to get as many good crowds at DKR as you'll see in one season at Gregory.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
  6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I love the VB atmosphere too. I have not been to a home match in 5 years or so, but when my niece was playing HS and club ball (under Erik Sullivan) we would take her pretty regularly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bishophorn

bishophorn 500+ Posts

Let’s all hope this new arena brings with it better luck for both basketball teams. They could use a dose of serious positive mojo than the past few years have brought. Not since we had Jody as coach for the women and Penders for the men, have we had a consistent contender in those 2 sports.

8. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

It's interesting to hear there was a dip for VB. When I was there, they played in the Rec Sports Center (it was pretty new then and Gregory hadn't been renovated) and the crowd was foaming at the mouth. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to the years in between, but love watching it now.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

I dunno man, when I went to volleyball games at Gregory in the late 90s the atmosphere was electric....

10. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

I can only speak from my experience, which began in 2003.

11. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I was going to use the word ambitious. We usually have a hard time getting 250 students to the games except for the big games this year. How many would it be to fill 75% of the lower bowl?

I know the capacity is significantly lower than the Erwin center, but for year's they've sold $100 season tickets with not much movement. Now its $500 plus donation to improve location.

They are banking hard on Beard drumming up excitement. I will say that if he produces results that $500 for the cheap seats will pay for itself in two or three games if you sell them then you get to go the rest of the season basically for free.

I'm interested in one of the asterisks. What does this mean?

*Season ticket holders who select seats in areas with a $0 seat gift will not be able to purchase seats in other areas.

12. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think it's written in the wrong subject order. They should have just said "Foundation members alone can purchase seats anywhere with the minimum donation level." Maybe it's to prevent "season ticket holders" from buying bonus seats for particular games and then using/selling them.

13. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Never, ever forget the Golden Rule - Money talks the loudest!

14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Golden rule: Whoever has the gold makes the rules.