The Movie Juno (yes I meant to post in WM not Cac.

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Wulaw Horn, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn 1,000+ Posts

Anyone see this flick yet?

I found the political sitaution to be interesting that it brought to mind. I think that in one movie you could potentially piss off both sides of the abortion equation- the christian fundamentalists and the militant feminists.

I thought that the movie was pretty good. They made the kid (Juno- 16 year old pregnant girl) very likable and the heroine of the movie. Didn't put any shame in pre marital sex or anything like that, and painted her as really likeable.

On the other hand- she had the baby and it really made the point (to my way of thinking) about how great and selfless a thing adoption is. Your heart had to really go out to the lady that ended up with the kid that was the result of the unwanted pregnancy.

Definately not the agenda that radical feminism has pushed.

Anyway, just interested to see if anyone else saw the flick, what they thought, and if anyone had heard any backlash from either of the kooks on either side.

2. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

I'm not up on radical feminist literature, but are you saying feminists are against adoption just because they favor choice? Does this stand come from feminists themselves or is it a creation of someone like Rush Limbaugh the noted liberal spokesperson?

I agree with you about the movie. It was interesting the way it handled an unwanted pregnancy. Juno's choice was very real, very human. But how is adoption more selfless than any type of parenthood?

SPOILER ALERT

I thought the selfless act was Juno making a decision and living with the consequences of being pregnant in high school and going through the pain of giving birth and then giving away the child. Thus her tears. She was not hard character just put out with inconvenience, she was a sensitive young woman now parting with the fingernailed creature she chose to save.

3. Texas_Curl

Texas_Curl 100+ Posts

there was a lot to like about the movie

i liked bleeker - good guy, kind of a dork

i don't know what the recurrig running guys was supposed to mean

i liked the chinese girl in front of the abortion clinic

juno was looking for a cool couple like the prospective father; she was not looking for a yuppie couple like the prospective mother...then look how it turned out.

i think feminists would have been happy with whom the baby ended up.

hook'em

4. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Completely agree with Texas Curl. Particularly about the running boys. Maybe that men move on from these kinds of situations because they are not stuck like the female? Not sure.

5. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

Juno-Good

Spears sister-bad

6. ajax

ajax 100+ Posts

I really hate to jump into this topic because although I'm technically pro-choice (because I don't believe in criminalizing abortion), there are hundreds of issues I care about more than this one.

However, it wasn't hard to dig up quotes like this:

7. Texas_Curl

Texas_Curl 100+ Posts

i had always assumed that an abortion clinic would be, i don't know, clean like a medical clinic or doctor's office. the one in the movie was seedy looking, off putting. like the men's restroon at a discount gas convenience store.

hook'em