The New BB Coach Shout Out

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by ronich, Mar 20, 2015.

1. ronich

ronich 100+ Posts

I think we all agree the Barnes' era is over...

The question is who makes the wish list?

I will start it off:

No. 1: Shaka Smart, VCU (Young, Smart, Successful, Dynamic...bonus points for cool name)
    No. 2: Billy Donovan, Florida (great coach, great recruiter, clean program, presents well)
    No. 3: Gregg Marshall, Wichita State (Smart, Successful, can recruit, and presents well)
    No. 4: Archie Miller, Dayton (Young, Talented, can recruit and motivate, tons of upside)

The Rest:

Tommy Amaker, Harvard (smart, young, talented)
    Thad Matta, Ohio State (good recruiter, x and o fundamentalist, like his offensive schemes)
    Jay Wright, Villanova (good recruiter, solid x's and o's guy, won in tough league, very good with media)
    Randy Bennett, Saint Mary's (Done more with less, a proven winner, very good fundaments coach)
    Tony Bennett, Virginia

Honorable Mention:
    Bo Ryan, Wisconsin (too old at 68, but love what he has done)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

1. Archie Miller
    2. Gregg Marshall
    3. Chris Holtmann

3. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

Brad Underwood - Stephen F. Austin. Wouldn't be a splashy hire but he seems to get it done.

4. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Brad Underwood hasn't been there long enough. He's still riding the success of their previous coach now at Tx State @Desperado

5. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Yes to Smart or Amaker. I think either could bring new life to the UT basketball program. We'd probably only be renting Smart until a top job came open. Maybe Amaker would be a better long-term choice.

I would vote yes for Donovan, Matta, or R. Bennett but all are unrealistic. The UT job would be a step down for them.

Marshall, Miller, T. Bennett, Wright -- don't know anything about them so I'll refrain from commenting.

Ryan -- too old.

6. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I replied on a different threat that Smart seemed like a quality candidate earlier this week. However he has now managed to lose in the first round of two consecutive tournaments to lower seeds. He went to the final four his second year, then went to the round of 32 two consecutive years, and now has been upset in the first round two consecutive years (one year he lost to SFA, a team rick barnes beat that year by 10 points!).

We are looking for an upgrade. I am not ready to write off Smart, but wish I had one more year of data on him.

I have not looked into the other candidates proposed in this thread but am eager to see what else is out there and am happy fans are proposing serious candidates to look at for once!

7. utfannforlife

If Smart doesn't leave VCU for UCLA, I would have a hard time imagining he would leave for us. Marshall would be the most logical choice, Also Mark Few would be well received

8. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

J Wright
    G Marshall
    Bennett

9. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

I meet Amaker in SA when SA hosted NCAA tournament several years ago. Very nice guy asked him if he was here for the UT job. I think Barnes had a bad season.

10. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Tony Bennett is the guy.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  11. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

I do not see Bennett leaving Virginia and the ACC for Texas. We got Barnes from Clemson, an ACC school, but a football school. Virginia is a Basketball school. He is not leaving Virginia for Texas.

12. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, just think how cool it would be to have your head coach performing the National Anthem!

• Like Like x 4
  13. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

I agree. No way he leaves.

14. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Lon Kruger just coached ou to the sweet 16. Kruger is the only coach to take teams from four different schools to the Sweet 16.

Would Kruger be an upgrade over Barnes? I think its a tossup. An argument can be made either way. I think its clear he's done a better job this year than Rick. But that doesn't mean Kruger is an upgrade. I think Kruger would get us back to the Sweet 16 or further sooner than Rick, at this point. But Kruger is not on my list of coaches I'd like to see come here.

15. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Kruger might be a slight upgrade. I think Bob Huggins might be an upgrade. I'd give Huggy a look.

16. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Tubby Smith is an upgrade

17. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Please, not the "Huggy Bear".

18. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

I like Marshall. He beat Kansas, enough said.

19. ronich

ronich 100+ Posts

After watching the tournament this year, delving deeply into the coaches records, histories and comments.

I am set on this order:

1. Gregg Marshall
    2. Shaka Smart
    3. Billy Donovan (Pipe Dream, but the best of the best IMO).

20. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Marshall of Wichita State fame has beaten Kansas this year and many good teams over the last few years. He has somehow managed to bring players into a s--t town and develop them into a very competitive team that plays above expectations on most nights.

I would be thrilled to see him coach the Horns. Our program would gain immediate increased cred. The best players in the state (and many outside the state) will look here long and hard, imho. But the good news is, Marshall can win big even without a cast of McDonald's All Americans. Even so, I think he would get his share if he were recruiting to the University of Texas in Austin, baby! :hookem2:

21. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

We NEED Gregg Marshall.

22. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

So, if we hire Shaka Smart we will have:

Smart Basketball and Strong Football..........nice! Where do I order the T-shirt? :texasflag::hookem:

• Like Like x 8
  23. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

[​IMG]

24. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Plus, we have Auggieably the best baseball.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  25. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

26. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

We can probably stack a taller pile of money, in addition to offering arguably a better recruiting pool and unequivocally a better quality of life (Austin vs. Tuscaloosa). But I don't see Texas getting into any bidding wars with anyone over a coach.

27. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

If Marshall takes UT to the sweet 16 every 3 or 4 years he'll make the 3 million back in no time.

28. utfannforlife

I wouldnt get into a bidding war with Bama over Marshall. Not because we cant win, but because its not worth it. There are too many other qualified candidates that can come and get the job done here. No need to pay more than 3 mill a year for a guy without a ring.

• Like Like x 1
  29. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

How about Hoibee Sendek from ASU?

30. utfannforlife

@mchammer you can't be serious. I almost reported that as spam lol