The Pillars of the Earth

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by PFD, Aug 11, 2010.

1. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

Anybody else watching this Starz original miniseries, based on the Ken Follett novel? I was drawn in by the presence of Ian McShane and Rufus Sewell in starring roles.

2. goosehorn

goosehorn 500+ Posts

As long as he book was I still was sad when it ended. I just wanted it to go on forever. This series is like football season... about halfway through I think, "Dang. Football season is half over!"

I love this freaking show... I don't care that the fight scenes are terrible. They really are though.

By chance did you see Spartacus? It is on demand with Starz, and if you didn't see it, you might like it.

3. overmaars

overmaars 1,000+ Posts

good stuff. Sad Donald Sutherland was killed off so early.

4. Big Ess Fro

Big Ess Fro 250+ Posts

absolutely hooked

My wife read the book; I did not. I might be a bit lost without her reminding me who is who , particularly early on when the esemble cast was thrown at you all at once.

5. trueut2003

trueut2003 250+ Posts

Maybe my favorite book, and since I read it about 10 years ago, I've forgotten enough to really enjoy the miniseries.

Anyone who hasn't read the book really should; it is phenomenal.

6. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

That's it, I will have to locate my wife's alleged copy and read it. Reading Robert Jordan's books, you get a very distinct impression his social patterns come from this period. So I find myself enjoying in the series one of the sources for Jordan's Universe.

7. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

Loved Pillars and the second book World Without End.

8. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

I loved the book-- Ken Follett is one of my favorite "airport authors" since I always pick up his latest whenever I'm flying. Jeffrey Archer is similar for me in that way.

I first read Pillars when it came out, it's been a long time so the series should seem pretty new to me. I was excited when I saw it on Netflix on demand.

9. Big Ess Fro

Big Ess Fro 250+ Posts

Hayley Atwell gets a little naked in the finale, and I had to rewind a few times...

Yummy

10. trueut2003

trueut2003 250+ Posts

So, the ending was WAY different.

11. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

The mini series does questionably change stuff.