The Pirate

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by stanhin, Sep 29, 2019.

1. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

He may be right but how will that play with the team who of course do not see themselves that way or recruits and parents?
    maybe he wants to get fired?

3. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

I know that a lot of folks here hold Leach in high regard. I have never seen him his anything other than a classless a$$hat. Sorry, but it's my opinion.
    Yep, throw 18-20 year old youngsters under the bus when you refuse to include defense or special teams when putting your team together.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

WSU has lost 2 conference games, a second half meltdown against UCLA and was taken to the woodshed by Utah. Both teams, especially UCLA, aren’t that good. Whatever the issue is, throwing the team under the bus, isn’t the answer. In post game interview, as coach he could have said that they were ill prepared, missed assignments, too many errors, improvements needed in some phases of the game, but not berate and demean the whole team as he did.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Did he recruit them? I agree, he’s a buffoon. Not sure why so many on here seem to hold him in high esteem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I’ll explain Leach’s appeal the best I can.

He does more with less than just about anyone. Places like WSU and Texas Tech have always been tough to get the blue chips to sign with. Leach takes the guys UT and OU, and now UW, Oregon, USC, etc didn’t want, or even bother talking to, and makes them contenders. Somehow he repeatedly can take a QB nobody else wanted and make him an all conference contender. On off years, his teams are still dangerous to even the top opponents. Also, his often irreverent and zany sense of humor is refreshing. This is one guy who definitely doesn’t take himself too seriously.

Oh yeah, the aggies absolutely hated this guy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. horninchicago

@Chop I just think he’s a boob who can’t win championships. But I agree with you normally. And maybe you agree with me but was just ‘splaining.

8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I like Leach and believe Tech never should have fired him.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Hot Hot x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I like Leach, but sometimes he gets off of the track. Still he's a good coach and his pressers at times are hilarious with his dry wit. One of my favorites was when a sideline reporter at the 2004 Holiday Bowl briefly spoke with Leach shortly before the kickoff. The reporter was standing with Leach and asked "Coach, what is it going to take for you to beat this California team today?"

Leach blinked, then dryly, and matter of factly, answered, "Well, if you score more points than your opponent, then you win the game. So, that's our plan." And then he walked away leaving a rather stunned reporter who didn't know what to say.

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  10. NorfolkVATiger

NorfolkVATiger 100+ Posts

You have to go back to 1940 to find a TT coach with a higher winning percentage than Leach.

You have to go back to 1942 to find a Washington State head coach that coached 3 or more seasons there with a higher winning percentage than Leach.

People like him because he wins and he speaks his mind, in an off-beat funny kind of way.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. horninchicago

I just don’t think he’s funny.

12. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

It is funny how many people like him. Part of his appeal is that he is kind of a dick

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Leach can be as weird and goofy as he wants to as long as he’s winning. Once he starts losing consistently, his detractors will come out of the woodwork and stir up the mobs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Leach's teams stink on the road, never play defense, and super suck in foul weather.

State Stinks!

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Texas Tech in three decades preceding Leach (1970-1999):
    3 bowl wins
    11 losing seasons
    6 seasons going 7-4 or better
    4 seasons finishing ranked in the AP Poll

In one decade with Leach (2000-2009):
    6 bowl wins (or 5 if you don't want to give him credit for the 2009 Alamo Bowl)
    0 losing seasons
    4 seasons going 7-4 or better
    5 seasons finishing ranked in the AP Poll

In the almost-decade since Leach (2010-2018):
    3 bowl wins
    5 losing seasons
    0 seasons going 7-4 or better
    0 seasons finishing ranked in the AP Poll

Pretty clear difference between him and everyone else.

Washington State in three decades preceding Leach (1982-2011):
    5 bowl wins
    19 losing seasons
    8 seasons going 7-4 or better
    7 seasons finishing ranked in the AP Poll

Washington State under Leach (2012-2018):
    2 bowl wins
    3 losing seasons
    3 seasons going 7-4 or better
    1 season finishing ranked in the AP Poll

Not as clear of a difference, but the long lead-up time I picked may be misleading there given that the 8 seasons preceding his arrival included no winning seasons and three seasons of 2-10 or worse. And 2/7 bowls and 3/7 seasons of 7-4 or better are still marginal improvements over 5/30 and 8/30; only the AP polls are worse.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Obviously a good (not great) coach. He's funny, but sometimes douchy. jmo

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  17. horninchicago

He was also 2-8 against Texas and essentially blamed the 2007 loss on the officials and the conference wanting Texas to win. He's a cry baby. He throws players under the bus.

Y'all can love him. I don't care. I said he's a good coach. Otherwise, I still don't get why any Texas fans would hold him in high esteem. But go ahead if you want to.

18. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I do realize some on here probably just bring up Leach because they think he is entertaining; but I have to agree, Rick.
    We elevate the wrong kinds of things/people. (Someone mentioned this in a Baker Mayfield vs Sam Ehlinger take)
    If you think something/someone is entertaining, funny, or interesting (or profitable), then "say" just that. To do any more is to ignore/celebrate obvious problems and lose sight of a higher or more important truth.
    I, honestly, have little problem with what Leach said....but he isnt some kind of wise, virtuous dude worthy to be praised or idolized. This problem is one reason people look to celebrities for advice or wisdom on child-rearing, marriage, politics or philosophy.
    If you want a laugh....Leach is your man. If you want more, well...

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

As per usual, Stat, you posted a GREAT set of numbers!

20. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I like him but I can see how some don’t.

I also give him some sympathy points because the TTU administration very clearly screwed him over in a very cheesy underhanded way . (Craig James and his son we’re just useful idiots-where are they now? Lol)

I also appreciate the way he has continued to march to his own drummer. A lot of people would have shrank in the face of that kind of conspiracy. Leach never felt sorry for himself and didn’t shrink and there is something admirable about that.

Also Aggy hate his guts because he owned them and the way he could push their great, big, dumb aggy buttons was just funny as hell.
    Then again, if he beat UT with any consistency I’d probably hate him too,

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  21. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I was at Tech for a couple of Spike Dykes first few years. He was more of a high quality character coach who won some but not always enough. Leach just had great offenses and press conferences. He was hilarious but sometimes would throw coaches and players under the bus. That is poor leadership and low class. But I guess he gets away with it due to his positives. If the wins slow down at WSU, his wheels will come off real quick!

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

AC, it sounds like you and I may have had the same education path. I went to TTU out of HS because my grades were not good enough. 94-95. Then I transferred to my dream school and it was not a moment too soon.

To be fair - I actually kind of enjoyed my time at Tech. Met my future wife there, and I have always pulled for them when they don't play my Longhorns.