The problem.

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornDave, Oct 10, 2020.

1. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

I am sorry. I cannot fix it. I love the horns but I am just a guy w limited means. Sorry.

But, the head coach should be fired right now. The rest of the team can either play for Texas or leave. that simply. Dont know much about the rest of the coaches. It needs to end tonight. Please God find a Longhorn with enough money and love to end this now. It cannot be fixed without immediate, decisive action. Fire CDC as. well if he cannot see this. we have a few players and no coaching. it must end now.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Won’t be fired till the end of the year under any circumstances. Charlie Strong was not fired after losing to Kansas.

Athletic dep is going to lose 100 mill this year plus lay off 100 employees. Can’t spend millions more to hire someone else.

The narrative will be lack of practice time plus 2020 man! Wait till next year when He-Man’s 100% his own recruits are seniors, blah blah blah.

Cheaper to keep her, as the movie title went.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

The department will likely lose $165-185 this year. If Herman returns, enough people are pissed off that next year will likely be another $150 million. Sit his *** in a small office in Bellmont for 8 hours a day and pay him his money.

You do the math, but in my world I will invest $5-6 million to bring in or save $150 million and possibly more the following year. Herman is wasted money and wasted space.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Duck Dodgers

Why are they losing that much money? I’d assume the revenue from TV is the same. Is the shortage from football ticket sales and parking / food / soda losses?

5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Seven home games bring in $12-14 million each according to department reports. That is exclusive of donations. There are a bunch of donations being rolled over to next year, but may ask for their money back. Herman's inability to properly handle the player revolt has pissed off a large percentage of the season ticket holders. Winning fixes a lot but Herman hasn't been able to win on a level acceptable at Texas.

Austin is no longer Austin

Texas isn't Texas

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  6. GV Longhorn

GV Longhorn 100+ Posts

7. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

I believe it is $15M for Herman, and $10M for the assistants. Can CDC round up $25M from big donors to go after Urban Meyer? I bet he can, but he will most likely have to raise beer prices next season, too!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

This sums up the last 5 months in a nutshell. Well said.

The very players Herman stood up for will ultimately cause him to lose his job. There is a sad irony to this. However, you reap what you sow.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

We don't owe Herman $15 million. is owed three years, Park his *** in one of those small Bellmont offices from 8-5, Monday thru Friday through the end of the contract. No secretary, no phone, no computer. Contract calls for two cars (those are donated). He is not allowed in Neuhaus Royal.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

If he can disguise his voice he can use that time to call donors and season ticket holders to get them to support the new coach. I’d pay to see that.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I don’t want that sorry son of a ***** anywhere near anyone that might ever give a penny to the program.

His arrogance could piss off the Pope.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Sabre
    Any idea what CDC is thinking?

13. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I bet we all know what he is thinking, but I'm betting he is virtually powerless unless the administration agrees Herman is wrong in supporting the destruction of the culture of the university. We also know they are nothing more than a bunch of feel good nut drainers so they will never change their minds.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Moskman1215

Moskman1215 25+ Posts

We are the Michigan of the Big12 - we have the highest paid coach, enter each year thinking we will beat our rival but end up losing to them, we finish with a few loses, and beat a team in our bowl game who cares less about being there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Keep the assistants

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

^NOT Ash

17. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

The answer is that CDC could get it done if he wanted. God knows the state of Texas and Austin could use a whole new makeover. Problem is that there are very few men that can get this coaching redux done and Margret Thatcher.

• Like Like x 1
  18. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I think that, a makeover’ is what the leftists are attempting (successfully I might add). What we need is a return to Texas values.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sam Fowler

Sam Fowler < 25 Posts

If what I heard this morning on radio is correct - UT has lost $25M in donations for south EZ project due to the Eyes issue, then CDC has pressure sooner rather than later to at least decide on the Eyes issue and if he's FOR this university and it's traditions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
  20. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

The guaranteed money is close to $25M

There are 10 games for regular season TV contract + post season.

There are 24K or less seats per home game. So a reduction of 70K tickets to sell.

Away games 12.5K TXOU not 50K add in 4 more away games with limited if any visitor tix.

$227M revenue in 2018 w Sugar Bowl vs reductions in every revenue line then under $160M reduction is very feasible.

Operating loss for UT Athletics in 2020 is real.

All before change in staff.

21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Pecos
    Good points
    If the Horns were winning and playing like they wanted to be there instead of as if they are entitled crybabies the waiting list for season tickets would be as long as the football field.

• Agree Agree x 4
  22. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yes and merchandise sales would be busting the roof.

23. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

My guess is that the troublemakers will portal themselves after the season. Nothing can be said now or the season will explode. With this much money at stake, what do you think is going to happen? My guess is the team will settle into a quasi-stable situation and start winning games. And then, the players split.

24. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

He doesn't want to upset the woke student athletes...He needs to go as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

I'm not happy with our performances this season although I think some leeway is warranted due to 2020 issues, mainly covid. The same list of contenders will be winning a title again this season. The Tech game told me all I needed to know where we are, so I knew we weren't on that list. I'm ok with giving Herman more time unless somebody like Saban, Urban, or Dabo were next. Aside from a lot of penalties and many small issues here and there, our main problem are the trenches on both sides of the ball. Not being able to run the ball is killing us. Hopefully we can win out and salvage the season.

26. Duck Dodgers

I'd questioned the running game before the season stared. On paper last year it looked good, but never seemed to be able to get a first down when it was needed - just lots of yards other times. This year it's even worse. 30 rushing yards by RB's against OU. And I think a big chunk of those were on a play where the RB fumbled at the end. How pitiful is that - biggest run of the day by an RB results in a turnover. ,

OL play is terrible. The right side tackle could double for a mob stool pigeon - both had feet stuck in cement. Defensive had 2 sacks during the OU game, compared to the OL giving us 6. Add in stupid penalties, bad special teams, and DB's who must practice flexing as good as they are at it. Either that or since they macho up after giving up first downs and TD's, they have lots of experience doing it.

Poor play, poor coaching, a head coach who insults the fans without reason or evidence, players who all but shoot the fans the bird while running off the field after the game. This team is a joke, and it's not 2020 man!!! It's their own actions and decisions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

This thing with the UT president and board is ridiculous. The governor appoints the board. He must start doing his job, vet the board members, and screen out any: (i) anti-UT, (ii) anti-free speech, (iii) pro-Marxist, (iv) woke types. It will take the board cycling out their staggered 6 year terms, but the governor can start with the student board member. Once the board is fixed, we need to get a good president in there. I just can't believe the governor approves of all the bs going on lately.

28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Do you want Ricky Perry's office number or cell?

I was just thankful he didn't appoint his best friend to our board. The Baylor guy from El Paso did enough damage for him. What would Nac have done?

29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

8 out of 9 of the non-student regents were appointed by Abbott.

Current Regents

Abbott is a Longhorn, and definitely not a far left type. If he cleans house at the regent level, the rest will follow, down to the football program, CDC, coach, etc.

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Is this the best hope for our football program?

• Hot Hot x 1