The Regular Season is a Playoff

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Aragorn, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn 250+ Posts

I don't know why everyone is complaining so much about a playoff. THE REGULAR SEASON IS A PLAYOFF. The consensus top-4 this year was some combination of Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, and Alabama. Fortunately, these four teams played during the regular season, de facto national championship semifinals if you will. The winner of the Florida-Alabama game will face the loser of the Texas-Oklahoma game to decide a national champion ON THE FIELD. What more do you people want? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The system is fine as it is.

2. kjgirl

kjgirl 500+ Posts

In what semi-final playoff system does the LOSER of a bracket advance to the championship game?

3. dxspaz

dxspaz 250+ Posts

don't stop him, he's on a roll...

4. Little Earl

Little Earl 100+ Posts

Only in NCAA Div 1A Football baby!

What a crock..........

5. Aragorn

Aragorn 250+ Posts

6. austintex

austintex 500+ Posts

7. crimsonlonghorn

crimsonlonghorn 100+ Posts

That's gold, Jerry! You hear me? GOLD!

8. jwig2020

jwig2020 25+ Posts

On the Sports Reporters this weekend, Saunders again defended the BCS by saying that a playoff would diminish the regular season. He actually asked the panel "if you had an 8 game playoff, would the Texas-OU game have had the same meaning this year". Nobody made the obvious response that it didn't mean anything this year.

9. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

John Saunders is a dogmatic hack with an amateur level of knowledge in sports, let alone college football. I can't reiterate this point enough: this is the man who, in 2005, argued that instead of Vince Young, Matt Leinart, or Reggie Bush; Marcus Vick should win the Heisman Trophy and that he was the best QB in college football that year. He's a moron with absolutely no credibility whatsoever. Fitting that such a moron of that caliber would be the poster boy for the pro-BCS/anti-playoff crowd in the mainstream sports media.

10. schnarkle

schnarkle 500+ Posts

11. Earl_Worshipper

Earl_Worshipper 100+ Posts

12. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

I assumed the OP was being sarcastic. It's the internet, but not that hard to pick up.

13. Earl_Worshipper

14. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

15. TX10sfan

TX10sfan 100+ Posts

To say the regular season is a playoff is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

16. Earl_Worshipper

Tex Pete... How can a sarcasm-impaired old fart respond to anything so clever? I tip my hat to your clevernessness.

17. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

You aren't the only one to take the bait. Don't feel bad.

18. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

It's a good idea to win all your games and control your own destiny

19. Earl_Worshipper

20. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

I didn't start the thread.

I was just cluing y'all in to Aragorn's bait.

21. Aragorn

Aragorn 250+ Posts

22. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

Now, you've turned it up to 11!

[​IMG]

23. GiantHorns

GiantHorns 250+ Posts

24. beauvine

beauvine 100+ Posts

25. Pericles

Pericles 1,000+ Posts

BCS: Botched and Crooked System

26. Aragorn

Aragorn 250+ Posts

Some of you still don't get it. The BCS did its job choosing between Texas and Oklahoma. How else would you decide who should play in the Big XII championship or BCS title game? [​IMG]