The 'rich' to pay for everyone's healthcare

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by zzzz, Jul 11, 2009.

1. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

2. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

It sounds like a big percentage increase. This might hurt the very rich or at least cause them to move their money out of the US. As wealthy germans fled german taxes, the same might happen here.

More importantly, I wonder if Democrats will lose support from the movers in the movie industry and other multi-millionaires who previously haven't been too bothered by higher taxes.

3. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

I think we should tax the poor instead.

Let them eat surgical gloves!

4. Texas_Rocks

Texas_Rocks 500+ Posts

I would prefer tax breaks for the rich. They're the one's that have been paying the bulk of American taxes for way too long.

5. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Life is a gift, and it offers us the privilege, opportunity, and responsibility to give something back by becoming more.

6. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

7. kgp

kgp 1,000+ Posts

This is a bad idea that helps shed light on how bad an idea the HC "reform" under consideration by Congress is, as I commented on this thread earlier.

8. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

9. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

10. groverat

groverat 2,500+ Posts

We should share the load (among those who can't carry it).

11. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Everyone should sacrifice if it is a sacrifice worth having. Of course, with socialized healthcare, why is sacrifice needed if it is saving money?

As I have stated many times, first we must define the problem and then design a solution to the problem. Instead the government simply provides solutions that benefit the government.

12. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

13. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

14. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

ridiculous [​IMG]

another "welfare" system.

I'd write your congressmen, I'm already in the process of writing the one up here in my district in Chicago

15. Octavian

Octavian 100+ Posts

Great. So what's going to be the incentive to actually succeed and be productive from now on? How many more Big Government programs can Obama and the Democrats create and fund by attacking the vile "rich" people?

And if they succeed, why will future generations of young Americans bother to even try if they know the price of success is to be penalized for their success?

We don't live in fantasy land -- this is the real world. Obama and the Democrats' policies won't end poverty....they'll stunt productivity. They won't terminate inequality....they'll undermine motivation.

I never thought someone could be worse than GWB -- it hasn't even been 6 months since inauguration and I can already see I was very, very wrong.

16. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

17. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

18. groverat

groverat 2,500+ Posts

Uninformed:

19. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

20. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

Not only will it cost, but it will cost a lot. The article quotes $550B over 10 years. However, we know what happened with Medicare & Medicaid. Their costs ballooned out of control within a few years. I wonder who gets taxed then?

21. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

The scary part is the fact that they think that we can "save" money through cuts. That means that they are almost certainly oblivious to the fact that private insurance subsidizes government sponsored health care. If HF.com had a larger font, I would use that. The government's current reimbursement rates are insufficient, and the people in charge believe that cuts can be made despite the fact that costs go up ~5% per year.

The model that they are suggesting has no meaningful relationship with reality. Everyone who can afford it will spend >$10k per year on health insurance while everyone else will be stuck with ****** government care because the government will never allocate enough money to match what we have now.

22. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

While I don't make $280K/year, I do know a handful of people that do and bust their *** at the job that they do.....why would they continue to do that when 50% of their income is going to the people that did not do **** to get their education and better their lives?

Why would these people continue to bust their ***?

There should be a law, a constitutional amendment, $1 earned or given is taxed at X% for every dollar no matter who earned it or received it.

A dollar is a dollar and we are all equal, no matter how much money you earn or are given, no matter gender or race.

Then we need to pass another constitutional amendment that says the government cannot spend more than it takes in or owes.

It will be tough for the rest of my lifetime and my kids and probably my grandkids, but these would be the generations that saved the United States of America!!! Maybe not the Greatest Generation that caused all of this crap.

23. groverat

groverat 2,500+ Posts

MaduroUTMB:

24. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

25. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

26. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

27. matt8209

matt8209 100+ Posts

Wealth Redistribution is a cool thing. I am glad the Dems are in control and are about to f**k up a la 1994. Cant wait for the day Pelosi is swept out of power. She will go down faster than the Titantic.

28. TaylorTRoom

TaylorTRoom 1,000+ Posts

29. PaPa Horn

PaPa Horn 100+ Posts

This is simply a way to help the rich become more patriotic by finally paying their share (and everyone else's) of taxes.

30. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts