The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Musburger1, Jan 11, 2022.

1. utahorn

utahorn 500+ Posts

Maybe Biden will get a Nobel Peace Prize. Take that Obama!

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Who cares what happens? We now have a presidential, polite adult in charge who doesn't mean tweet.

So there

3. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Still no invasion. If nothing by Tuesday we know Biden has yet again lied through his teeth to the American people.

4. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

Today the Russian foreign minister stated that Russia still views Donetsk and Lugansk as part of Ukraine. Last week the Duma voted overwhelmingly to recognize their independence. Putin still hasn’t acknowledged them. Some in Russia are accusing Putin of being weak (a Chamberlain). It’s hard to really know his thinking.

5. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I still think there will be no invasion.

6. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

Russia has formally recognized the breakaway provinces and will send troops in response to their invitation. This is already being called an invasion.

7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Ukraine's public reaction will be interesting

8. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

If the order is given by Ukraine to attack, I imagine there might be a mutiny. You have a very zealous anti-Russian faction willing to fight til the death, but also have conscripts that don't want anything to do with this. If Donetsk and Lugansk don't wish to be part of Ukraine, why should they die fighting to keep them in.

9. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Have Russian troops gone into Luhansk and Donestsk? I might be wrong!

10. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I don't know Did Hitler say the people of Sudetenland wanted to be part of or controlled by Germany?
    Is there confidence the people of Doneskt really want to be part of Russia?

11. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

W said he looked in Putin's eyes and it was good. Obama said to wait until after the election and he would have more flexibility. Mongo said Putin was his pal. Biden says all kinds of crazy zhit and so you can't believe even he believes anything he says. Maybe he has an ulterior motive for his various alarms? I dono. I didn't vote for any of these bozos.

12. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Is that an invasion?

13. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

An economy the size of California.

14. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

It’s all laid out for the world to hear. Very transparent.

15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

It’s starting to look like I may need to cancel our Summer vacation to St Petersburg.

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Lithuanian president looks at it differently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I read it on Twitter, so I don't know if it's true. However, supposedly the sanctions being imposed by the United States apply to the newly recognized regions and not to Russia broadly. If that's true, this might be the weakest foreign policy response in proportion to the rhetoric I've ever seen. Unless they involve a blockade or an embargo, economic sanctions in response to military force are somewhat of a ***** thing to do anyway. However, if you don't even apply them to the offending regime, that's astoundingly weak.

Maybe the strategy is to look so weak and unreliable that the pro-NATO elements of Ukraine no longer want to join. That's about the only strategy that makes sense.

18. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

He did and probably wasn't wrong about that. The Sudetenland was dominated by ethnic Germans, and there was a strong desire at the time to incorporate ethnic Germans throughout Europe under a unified German state. This is why nearly all ethnic Germans in Central and Eastern Europe were expelled by force to Germany after the war. In a way, they got what they wanted. It was just a lot smaller and a lot more painful than they had hoped.

I'm sure many of them do. However, is this the way to deal with that? Usually when a minority population of a nation wishes it was part of another nation against the will of the majority population, the minority population moves. The borders don't.

• Like Like x 1
  19. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

I wonder why it's being called an invasion? Oh, because it is.

It appears a large portion of the world's population is unhappy with their home country and wants to immigrate to the U.S. Maybe we should just declare those various parts of the world as independent and send our troops there as peace keeping forces. This may be the Democrat's next move to gain voters.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

Germany announced Nordstream II is off. That's a biggie. Problem is, it will damage Germany more than Russia. But yes, the other announced sanctions are practically meaningless.

21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It is interesting that the SPD chancellor of Germany is showing more balls than the United States is.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

So let me try and simplify this. Boise City, Guymon, Slapout, Beaver, and Hooker identify as "texan". They were part of Texas before Texas let go of them so they could keep their slaves in 1850. Many of them speak the language; pull for the Aggies, Sand Aggies, and Longhorns; and they have truck nuts on their trailer hitch. They make it known though their civil governments that they would like to be a part of Texas. Not all towns in the region take these steps but these do.

Texas amasses troops on the border. Texas creates false flag issues in the region in an effort to make it appear less stable than it is. The state government of Texas passes legislation accepting the panhandle as a part of mother texas. Texas moves troops into the region establishing control.

Please tell me what is different.

23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The difference is that someone would try to stop Texas instead of just saying, "if you send in troops we're going to say some mean things about you."

24. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Who's going to stop Texas? I mean if it were Durant and Thackerville it would be different. :)

And what's Alaska's role in this thing?

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Are the Russian speakers the majority or minority in Donbas? My understanding was they were the majority. If they are the minority, then they should try to move back to Russia, since it was Russia who sent their families there years ago to disrupt Ukrainian culture.

26. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

So there are some smart folks in Oklahoma! (But it's Texan not texan.)

• Like Like x 1
  27. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

Why don't you just talk about the 13 British colonies that later declared independence? That's what you are describing.

Or Texas 1836

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  28. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They are a minority in Ukraine. If a bunch of Latinos in South Texas wanted to be part of Mexico, we wouldn't move the border North even though they are a majority in South Texas. We would tell them to move to Mexico.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

No there aren't.

• poop poop x 1