The St. Anthony Hotel (San Antonio)

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by jimmyjazz, Jun 3, 2008.

1. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Have any of you stayed at The St. Anthony Hotel in San Antonio? The reviews are very mixed -- some say it's an elegant historic hotel, others say it's an outdated dump. Opinions?

2. MustangOrange

MustangOrange 100+ Posts

I stayed there last year for a wedding and it was horrible. I thought the room we stayed in was small and uncomfortable, none of the exercise equipment in their gym worked, and the service was unresponsive or tooke forever when we made requests/called for our car.

It certainly looks nice and the lobby is very nice, but that's about it in my opinion.

3. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Lovely. Hope things have improved . . .

4. BOSS

BOSS 100+ Posts

It isn't exactly a state of the art hotel if that's what you are looking for, but its a nice place.

They've got exposed plumbing in most if not all the rooms, which I thought was neat and made for a historic feel to it.

5. BOSS

BOSS 100+ Posts

Oh and John Wayne stayed there when he was playing Davey Crockett in some movie about the Alamo so that's got to count for something, right?

6. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

I've stayed there - it's a nice old hotel. Historic and a great location. Like most older hotels, the rooms are a bit smaller and amenities are quite as extravagant. Unless you're a real prima donna, I expect you'll like it.

7. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

See what I mean? Very mixed reviews.

We like older hotels, anyway, so it sounds like it will be OK. Thanks.

8. MustangOrange

MustangOrange 100+ Posts

For the record, we like old hotels as well. Maybe I got a crappy room, but I still thought the service was not good at all.

9. AlamoHeightsHorn

AlamoHeightsHorn 100+ Posts

PUNT!!!!!!

Move to the Westin and you will be happy.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Ralphie

Ralphie 500+ Posts

stay the Menger. Same old charm. Nicer hotel.

11. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

We are locked into the St. Anthony. It's a freebie. I'm not trying to find alternatives -- I'm trying to decide whether we should go or not.

12. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

We stayed at the St.Anthony once and got a large room that had two full baths. They apparently had opened up the wall between two smaller rooms.

It was very classic, vintage, & clean.

We were staying there at a state rate on the taxpayer's dollar.

On our personal trips to the Riverwalk, we prefer the Hilton, the Drury Inn, or the La Quinta. The Marriotts & other swanky places are too outrageous with the rates.

13. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

JimmyJazz
    Give us a report, if you please.
    Thanks in advance.

14. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

Don't sweat it another minute. There is nothing wrong with the St. Anthony.

15. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

16. hudsonhorn

hudsonhorn 500+ Posts

JJ. go take a look at the room you get assigned and if it's basically a large closet(and some are), just go back and ask for another room. My experience is that they will be accommodating, if at all possible.

17. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

I had little black ants in my bed at the Gunter this past weekend. They showed up out of nowhere both mornings after bringing coffee to bed. Otherwise, they weren't there. I'm crapping you negative.

18. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

19. trkhorn

trkhorn 25+ Posts

The St. Anthony is going thru a major redo as we speak. Charming old hotel, but desperately needs the remake IMO.

20. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

21. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

I see Wyndham has taken over the St. Anthony, so that's most likely the reason for the upgrading.

Just call the hotel & ask.

22. trkhorn

trkhorn 25+ Posts

I haven't seen anything but I've talked to a few of the guys doing the remodel recently. I work about a block from there, I'll try to remember to go by and take a look and post the results.

23. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Just got back . . . the St. Anthony wasn't bad at all. The lobby was quite beautiful, and the restaurant and pub were good, too. The rooftop pool was fine, although they didn't have any food or drinks available and were a bit low on chairs and tables. The fitness center was closed.

Our room was reasonable, but it wasn't up to the level of the lobby. It was pretty small for a king bed and the furniture had a little wear and tear. The bathroom had mostly original fixtures, which lent it a lot of character, although it needed new tile. Service was extremely friendly and attentive. The park across the street was a big turnoff, though -- it's basically bum central.

I noticed that the same room could be booked for $149 a night, which is really a pretty good price considering what you get. It's a grand old hotel in the middle of a renovation, and while it will never be the Driskill, it will probably turn out quite nice once it's all said and done. Given the location, I'd say it's a bargain.

San Antonio, however, seems to be pretty much a dump.