The Texas Defense is Mediocre

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by El Torito, Oct 11, 2021.

1. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

. . .at best. That is the reality.

The stark facts are that this defense is just plain thin in talent and thin in quality depth. It doesn't have the personnel to take control of a game against a formidable opponent. Offense and special teams have to compensate.

From last year's defense, Joseph Ossai was drafted by the Bengals. Ta'Quon Graham was drafted by the Falcons. Juwan Mitchell, our middle linebacker, transferred to Tennessee and the starting MLB for the Vols.

Mitchell was replaced by Luke Brockermeyer, a former preferred walk-on 3 * originally committed to Rice. We also picked up two graduate transfers to replace Ossai at the Jack position: Ovie Oghuofo from Notre Dame, a former 3 * recruit, and Ray Thornton from LSU, a former 4 * recruit. And let's not forget Brendon Schooler, who transferred from Oregon to Arizona, then to Texas. He was a low-3 * recruit brought in to play WR last year and then switched to defense, which he hadn't played in several years. All four were listed as starters against the Sooners: Brockermeyer at MIKE, Obhuofo at SLB, Thornton at Buck End, and Schooler as a co-starter with Jerrin Thompson at FS. Ben Davis transferred in from Bama, but has been a non-factor. I'm all for players who want to put on the Burnt Orange and proudly support them.

But figure this: one-third of our starters on defense consist of a former walk-on and Notre Dame's, LSU's, and Arizona's second-stringers/part-timers. The fact that these second-stringers/part-timers are starters says a lot about the our second-stringers. Let that sink in for a moment.

Against the Sooners, the defense had to play stingy, with discipline, and make no mistakes. And get a special teams break here or there. The special teams came up with a blocked punt and the defense came up with 1 fumble and 1 INT. The defense was done in by a lack of discipline on the OU counters and the offense forcing the defense back on the field too many times.

In the first quarter, the Texas offense scored swiftly and at will. With the help of a blocked punt, we scored three touchdowns in about a half-dozen plays. The flip side of Texas' lightning quick scores is that our defense was on the field for long stretches. By end of the first quarter, with temperatures in the '90s, the Texas defense was on the filed for almost 10 minutes. In the second half, when the Texas offense stalled series after series, it only got worse for the defense. In the fourth quarter, OU scored 25 points on an exhausted, beaten Texas defense that could not stop the counter or got burned on spectacular Sooner pass plays. OU racked up 662 total yards. The final box score shows the time of possession at OU 35:23 and Texas 24:37. OU ran 81 plays and Texas ran 61. In crunch time, our offense couldn't stay on the field and our defense couldn't get off the field.

In the OU game, up front in the trenches, we lost a key contributor on the D-line when Jacoby Jones went out with an injury early. I think Coburn and Collins got banged up too. Otherwise, the D-line was awful. First contact on Sooner RBs was usually 5 to 10 yards downfield with a missed tackle thrown in for good measure. Collins and Coburn combined for 2 tackles. Thornton had 1. Oghoufo had 2. Our D-line was quite simply a non-factor.

The majority of tackles were made by the linebackers and DBs. Brockermeyer, Foster, Overshown, Jamison, Thompson, and Cook = 28 tackles. Schooler had 0. It is not a good stat sheet when Texas linebackers and defensive backs are trying to tackle Caleb Williams and Kennedy Brooks deep in the backfield. . .those two accounted for over 300 yards on the ground.

What we have is the personnel to field a "serviceable" defense. It can hold its own against Louisiana, Rice, and TCU. The Texas Tech game, second half, was prophetic in that we gave up 520 total yards to the Red Raiders. When the offense scores 70 points, it can camouflage a weak defense. That was the Tech game. But we won't score 70 points every game. When the offense sputters and can't protect the defense, we get the Arkansas and Oklahoma games.

The truth of the matter is that our defense is a patchwork of underperforming D-linemen, overperforming walk-ons, second-tier transfers, former WRs, with some genuine ball hawks sprinkled in (Overshown, Jamison, and Cook). We are living on the edge between a serviceable defense and that one injury that creates a severe drop off in talent, that one transfer that creates a gaping position hole, or that one long gap in time of possession on a hot afternoon that leads to collapse. It is what it is. Tom Herman left us shell of a Texas defense and its up to Sark and Co. to "coach 'em up."

I'm not a hater calling for Coach K's head now and I'm not a blind sunshine pumper either. I do, however, expect Texas to leave blood and guts on the field for 4 quarters. OU scored the winning touchdown in the waning seconds of the game. On this point,Texas came up short but the team never quit in the Cotton Bowl. Sark and his staff are just six games into their tenure and is making the most with Casey, Bijan, Xavier, etc. on the offensive side of the ball. I have a feeling this was just Round 1 with the Sooners and that we will see them again in December. Sark and Coach K need to "coach up" the players on the current roster and recruit savages for the future roster.

:hookem2: :bevo::hookem2:

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 9
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MeatHeadHorn

MeatHeadHorn 1,000+ Posts

A rational take. Our floor is lower than our ceiling is high and so we have to play disciplined and fundamental ball to play as close to ceiling at all times. 100% agree on depth. If we continue to get off to hot starts on offense, it will be incumbent on Sark to lean on teams in second half, still being aggressive but having extended drives.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

If our defensive front cannot learn to be disciplined before Saturday. Mike Gundy may set a record for counters run in one game.

Tired? Yes!
    On the field too long? Yes!

Neither is a good excuse for abandoning your assignment and being out of position, particularly when it leaves a hole big enough to drive a 16 ton truck through.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. CoachMc

CoachMc 25+ Posts

Great take.. I appreciate the insight.. A lot to think about and marinate on. We’re gonna have to score a LOT of points.

The honeymoon for Sark is NOT over, for me. He’s got the best record for the first six games as our head coach, since Fred Akers. I gave Charlie Strong two years. I gave Tom Herman three, because we won that Sugar Bowl vs Georgia in year two. Sark’s got the benefit of my doubt for at least that long. I still think he’s head and shoulders above the last two..

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  5. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, but wouldn't you rather see a 21 point lead blown against anyone but OU?

<sarcasm> for the sarcasm challenged crowd.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

IMO the scheme is too cute. Or, as the kids say, "Feeling cute, might blow a 21 point lead against OU. IDK."

7. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

Spot on HIC. Just makes me nauseous losing that game to BlowU. I've read some of your posts and agree in principle with much of what you shared, sometimes in frustration. In fact, it inspired me to submit this post. With the talent/depth we have on defense, Coach K is going to have use bubble gum, duct tape, and super glue to keep this defense together against the better teams. We have a lot to fix if we want another shot at the Sooners. Focusness now is on Okie State . . .:hookem:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. horninchicago

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Too bad others couldn't see that.

:beertoast:

• Like Like x 1
  9. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

It's all good. Remember, we ALL bleed Burnt Orange. Now, let's beat the hell outta OSU! :hookem:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Damn Torito. This is a very accurate and well thought out assessment. Kudos to you. I think your takes are spot on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I’ll probably take incoming for this but I generally disagree with the take that we are not sufficiently talented on defense. Depth insufficient? Probably, but not talent.

Consider…and this is an incomplete list:

Ben Davis - 5 Star, #1 ILB of class
    Jacoby Jones - 4 Star
    Keondre Coburn - 4 Star
    Collins - High 4 Star
    Josh Thompson - 4 Star
    Jerrin Thompson - 4 Star
    Foster - 4 Star
    Cook - 4 Star
    Jamison - 4 Star
    Overshown - 4 Star

I will also go out on a limb and predict that many of the players listed above will be playing in the NFL, and about half will be starters, including IMHO Coburn, Collins, Cook and Overshown, and perhaps Ojomo (not listed, a 3 Star.)

This is not an untalented bunch. And as mentioned many times prior, while we can question the fact that Brockermeyer is starting, he is, and three players all 4 stars or higher, are not.

So what’s the problem? That’s basically the question I raised in the Kwiatkowski thread. If one goes by recruiting metrics — about the only measure we fans have — the talent we will put on the field defensively will exceed every team Texas will play, excluding (perhaps) OU.

A number of weeks ago many here were lamenting the fact that we had no offense because the OL was terrible. That seems to be almost a non-issue today even though no one will argue that the O-Line is very good.

So with regard to the defensive discussion, I do believe that it comes down to coaching and scheming, and I just hope that either the players start implementing what they are being taught, and stick to it, or that the coaches modify their schemes to better fit the players we have.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Two things:
    1. We are not deep at LB and DB. Starters have to play way too much.
    2. New coach, new scheme. Let's show a little patience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. horninchicago

Why do message board posters have to show patience vs. coaches and players showing more sense of urgency?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

HIC,

Because we are the PAYORS and they are the PAYEES. Therefore, it is time to step up and earn those seven figure salaries.

I am disappointed but not jumping ship on Sark, but some of the assistants may be close to taking a long walk off a short plank.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

That’s fair, but,

Very tough to have patience when the D has been completely gashed late in every game we have played against a quality opponent.

Are you seeing progress? Again, against a quality opponent, I haven’t yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

I just don't know if I agree with this or not. IMO we have depth, talented depth. Maybe, if your criteria is experienced depth, okay. I intentionally omitted the true Freshmen and walk-ons. Looking at this list, are we really untalented?
    LB: Overshown, Brockermeyer, Tillman, Hullaby, Richardson, Gbenda, Adeoye, Ford.
    DB: Adimora, Dunn, Jamison, Jo. Thompson, Cook, Schooler, Crawford, Barron, Caldwell, Foster, Coffey, Je. Thompson, Owens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

Another thing that bothers me and supports your point is this question: How many offensive and defensive players on the current Cincinnati team received a scholarship offer from Texas? How many were even on Texas' radar? I assume the number is really low. You can't tell me that every prior Texas recruiting class is simply pitiful.

Coaching matters.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. MeatHeadHorn

MeatHeadHorn 1,000+ Posts

Player development. It hasn’t been a thing here for a long time. Lots of people do more with less. Look no further then purple neighbors to the our north.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  20. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

What's the best team Sark has beaten so far, here?

• Like Like x 1
  21. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

OU for 55 minutes.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  22. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Exactly. Our D was gassed in the 2nd half, and the D line was ineffective as far as putting any pressure on the QB or making tackles for short on no gains. The stops were coming by the secondary and overall tackling technique was piss poor, as I recall. That leads me to believe that our bench is devoid of guys who can come in play to the level necessary to get the job done. Our O line was weak as well. I'm surprised Bijan had as many yards rushing as he did, and Thompson was running for his life on pass plays.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Kind of reminds me of a pitcher's comment about a gopher ball he threw

"For the first 55 feet it was the prettiest pitch you'll ever see"

• Like Like x 1
  24. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Yesterday on The Horn, Jeff Howe revealed something very telling about our defense and the OU game. He said OU ran (these numbers may not be exactly right but in the neighborhood) 81 plays. On 74 of those plays, OU made 320 yards. On the other 7, they made 340. The defense did pretty good for the vast majority of the plays, but they gave up WAY too many big plays that doomed us.

I also said I thought they were out of gas in the 2nd half, and they were, but it seems to me if you are giving up that many big plays, it's the scheme/execution more than you were just tired. Am I wrong on this?

25. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

You're not wrong, but I think the tiredness definitely affected the big plays in the 4th quarter.

26. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

27. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Please re-read what you wrote there and think it through. Seven big plays don't just happen by accident or luck. Thats almost a seasons worth of big plays. Also, giving up 4.3 yards per play on the other 74 plays sucks because that includes incomplete passes that gain zero. They didn't play well the whole game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. horninchicago

The refs caused it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  29. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

Duke,
    With so many highly touted recruits, I too wondered why the Texas defense got thoroughly flattened by both Arkansas and Oklahoma in the run game. As for the Texas pass defense, it has been more respectable but it was shaky against Tech in the second half (it got torched for almost 400 passing yards by some dudes named Henry Colombi and Tyler Though. Go figure). It gave up explosive plays against OU.

But let's drill down a bit here and focus on starters versus second-stringers and everyone else. All those recruiting stars don't count if the player can't crack the starting lineup. Of your incomplete list of ten players (nine 4 star and one 5 star), five started in the secondary (the Thompsons, Foster, Cook, and Jamison). Overshown started out LBer. Coburn and Jones started on the D-line. Neither Davis nor Collins started, although Collins replaced Jones and will probably be the starter here on out because of Jones' injury. Ben Davis, five stars and all, hasn't been able to secure a starting position. Most of these guys started for Herman in the Alamo Bowl.

The remaining starters against OU, as noted in my original post, are: Brockermeyer at LBer, Oghuofo and Thornton at Jack/Buck, and Schooler at Safety. We have transfers, former walk-ons, and former WRs starting in the trenches and at safety because the players Herman recruited can't beat them.

That being said, you are right that we have some talent. Enough to be decent, especially in the secondary. Sometimes even good against mid to low tier competition. But against well coached teams that run the ball hard, we will struggle. Which is why the secondary is making the lion's share of tackles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

Orange,
    You didn't list any players on the D-line. We have a budding star in Collins. Jones was a workhorse before his injury. Coburn has potential we haven't consistently seen. The rest - Ojomo, Thornton . . .eh.

Of the LBers you listed, Tillman, Hullaby, Richardson, Gbenda, Adeoye, and Ford are second-stringers. Oghoufo, Brockermeyer, and Overshown are the starters and haven't been beaten for their positions.

The secondary is in much better shape.

My point is that our starting eleven are decent, but struggle going mano a mano with well-coached and deep teams.