The Texas Historical Commission Website Rocks!

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Hornius Emeritus, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Hornius Emeritus

Hornius Emeritus 2,500+ Posts

How have I missed this?

I was trying to find out information about Texas historical markers (how many of them there are, where they all are etc...)

You can search the website for TONS of information about Texas. Here, for example, is the search page for all of the historical markers:

The Link

Here is the state historical atlas, viewable by county:

The Link

Here is the cemetaries page:

The Link

Just absolutely fabulous. Who knew that there was once a distellary in Salado, on the center square?

The Link

2. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

I applied for a job there right after graduating. They were documenting the various missile sites that had existed in Texas during the 50s and 60s. I really wish I had gotten the job.

3. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

The Texas State Historical Association has an interesting website called the Handbook of Texas, which is an encyclopedia of the state which you might find interesting.
    The Link

4. shorty

shorty 250+ Posts

Texas Land Grants

The above link has tons of info. I believe I spent a whole day there and I did find where my ggggrandfather served in the Republic of Texas army in 1836 and his land grant.

I still have not found a site that has the letters of recommendation that allowed his family into Texas prior to 1835. If anyone knows how to find these online, I would love to know the url.