They Hyundai v. Lexus Campaign is Pissing Me Off

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by suttree, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Traffic

Traffic 500+ Posts

Who actually watches commercials?

As for Mark's...it is overrated. Good food and mediocre service.

2. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

3. gsoda3

gsoda3 250+ Posts

4. homer

homer 500+ Posts

looks like someone almost went bankrupt buying that POS-looking lexus from a stipper/hooker.

now, he is telling what a valet (or some observing stranger) may think about an inexpensive car. well, f**k that.

i'd ******* ride a roadmaster bicycle to mark's or wherever i want. and i bet your *** i can get the valet to park it. and he'll be damn delighted to do his job.

man, o man.

5. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

I initially thought this thread was a good observation, and was annoyed with the commercial (but not nearly enough to give a **** and whine about it), but these comments about worrying about what a valet thinks are pretty worthless. Like someone else said, who cares? The valet? You care what a man who makes 10 bucks an hour thinks? I know it's human nature to care what other people think about you (anyone who says otherwise is either lying or has controlled it enough to be "normal", and thus doesn't care what MOST people think), but you're pretty insecure if you care what a damn valet thinks about your car.

Also, there are two types of people who buy cars: people who want a car to get them from A to B, and people who like taking the alternate ACB route, because they like driving. Buying superior or inferior cars can place people into EITHER group, but more often than not people who fall into the second category seem to buy a "superior" car (whether or not that equates to a price, performance or build-quality difference is somewhat subjective, but you get the picture). Of course, there are also a lot of people in that category who care too much about what other people think about themselves (read: non-functional ricers), but you can find the same people in the first category (read: people with lots of money who don't care what they're getting, as long as it costs a lot).

This may sound like a big rant, but I think these "I got over the whole 'having to impress other people with my car' phase" statements assume people who buy more expensive cars are doing so just to impress other people... In reality, some people just like well-built products and have different priorities than you. The concept is not alien, but some people are making too many assumptions.

[​IMG]

6. Pepper Brooks

Pepper Brooks 250+ Posts

7. suttree

suttree 500+ Posts

I thought the X3 was a dead giveaway that I am ******* with everyone, but apparently I have to spell it out.

Jesus H.

The funny thing is that everyone is so concerned about this subject, they take it seriously even when it is obviously sarcastic (I bought a pimped out Lexus IS from a Stripper?). Awfully sensitive for a bunch of people who say they don't care what others think.

Just FYI, any thread about luxury goods (especially watches, cars, or the size of engagement rings) is generally for no other purpose but to start a class warfare debate.

For the record, I don't even drive a Lexus, and the IS is a girl car if there ever was one. The X3 is a turd, and only a shiny-shirt $30k millionaire would buy one.

Good gravy.

8. Franco

Franco 250+ Posts

suttree = troll

9. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

10. DeadHorse

DeadHorse 1,000+ Posts

11. sawbonz

sawbonz 500+ Posts

I thought it was obvious when you were talking about eating at Marks.

12. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

What (and where) is "Mark's"?

13. huge

huge 250+ Posts

14. ajax

ajax 100+ Posts

This is a funny thread.

I know some very wealthy families that drive some really piece of **** cars. Like old, old American cars, models that I've never heard of. It's an old money thing I guess.

My wife's best friend (total hotness, btw) drives a station wagon from the early 80s, maybe even the 70s it looks like and she has a humongous trust fund. She's still very young so she looks ridiculous driving that thing. It has wood panels!

15. Franco

Franco 250+ Posts

Fake wood panels.

16. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

The question is, would you rather drop your kids off at day care in a Hyundai or a Lexus?

17. CutTheCrackJack

CutTheCrackJack 25+ Posts

18. VoodooChi|d

VoodooChi|d 500+ Posts

LOL this thread has gone from horrible to allsome since I last checked it.

Toyota = Lexus just like Honda = Acura. There's no such thing as Acura or Lexus in Japan. In fact, some of the Acura and Lexus models we get here are the Honda and Toyota models in other countries. Same thing with Nissan and Infiniti. Toyota's have long been the top quality cars although in recent years they are starting to slip some. The ironic thing is, as an earlier poster said, 20 years ago, Toyota's and Honda's were the "cheap POS's" and were never going to overtake the Taurus' and other American car companies cars. Well they did, and now the Korean manufacturers are doing the same thing to the Japanese car companies.

BTW, the IS is a sorry excuse for a car.

19. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

I don't think they are saying that a Hyundai is necessarily a better car. Simply that it has a few options that they're focusing on as being better than a Lexus.

If a Hyundai has 28 cup holders and a Lexus only has 27, it's a fair comparison.

20. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

WHY THE HATE FOR THE IS SERIES? This is the only place on the blagosphere I have seen that doesn't like the car or think it sucks (discounting suttree, who has apparent gender insecurities).

21. suttree

suttree 500+ Posts

The 2007 IS is an awesome little car. How many nice RWD sub-compacts are out there with that nice of an engine? I think it is about $5k too much, but just buy one that is 10 months old certified, and you are right where you need to be.

If Lexus makes a bad car, it is the RX. Ugly little turds on the road, IMO.

I was driving home last night, and an Azera tried to pass me. I ran it off the road and giggled.

The dumbest comments on this thread (other than mine) are the one's saying Mark's sucks, and the IS sucks.

22. ajax

ajax 100+ Posts

Back to the original topic - that one Hyundai/Lexus commercial where the car parallel parks itself makes me laugh out loud. The smug look on the guy's face is priceless.

23. S197HQQKEM

S197HQQKEM 500+ Posts

all y'all Lexusasites, don't be a coming to Miami or Orlando with y'all's Lexuses and be expectin to impress ANYBODY, in Miami Lexus is what the servants and other riff raff drive and in Orlando Lexus screams rent car as there are tons of them in the rental pool here.

As for valet parking here if you want to get snickered at by the valets, just drive up in a Lexus on Ocean Drive (Ocean Drive, hell they'll snicker at you at the Dolphin Mall valet park if you drive up in a Lexus, not to mention Bal Harbor Shops, or Merrick Park) and ask to have it valeted, tee hee hee. Lexus is what the rubes in the sticks and poor folks that can't afford anything better dirive, cool people don't drive Lexus here.

24. ajax

ajax 100+ Posts

Check this out. Someone put Hyundai badges on their Bentley. Dude's got a sense of humor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. suttree

suttree 500+ Posts

26. PipFunatUT

PipFunatUT 500+ Posts

27. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

f**k y'all, I drive a Daewoo.

28. Ankf00

Ankf00 250+ Posts

I pedal a Schwinn.