Things to smoke/ recipes for the smoker

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Smurfette, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

After years of begging, my dad finally made me one of his custom smokers.

We've broken it in with ribs and brisket, but I was wondering if anyone had some more creative ideas for things that can be made in a smoker? Things along the line of OrangeBlood's Boudain stuffed smoked pork loin...

2. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

Pork loin is the only thing.....................lots of ways to cook it.

3. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

bacon wrapped pork TENDERLOIN dusted with Texas Spice Rub, and Mandarin Habanero Pepper Jelly

4. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

I was going to try the habanero recipe above. How do you make it? Do you brush the jelly into the meat like a glaze and dust with the spice or is the jelly served separately? 1.5hrs per pound at 220F for the pork? Sorry if the questions are silly.

5. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

This is not "exotic," but i recently discovered tri-tip. I've tried it a couple of times, smoking it just like a brisket for a couple of hours, then finishing it on the grill (I like giving it a crust, since it is sort of in-between a brisket and a steak). Really, really good. Thinking of trying a full-on smoke (i.e. all on the smoker, no grilling) next to see how it turns out.

6. Son of a Son

I usually take the loin and rub it down with the rub, then I wrap it in the bacon and apply more rub. It usually doesn't take more than a couple of hours. I start brushing them with the pepper jelly after an hour and just continue to glaze it off and on until done. I usually cook to an internal temp of 140-145 and then rest them for 15-20 minutes before removing the toothpicks and slicing.

7. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Thanks. I made habanero jelly and it is too spicy to eat on a cracker. After its cooked, I am sure it would be fine. I split the habanero jelly 50/50 with mandarin orange marmalade which I think will be the mixture that I use as the glaze. I have another jar that is 25% habanero jelly and 75% mandarin orange marmalade that is great but spicy for use on crackers and toast.

8. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

I do straight pork tenderloins, dry rub of 1 part paprika, 1 part salt, 1 part pepper. Smoke at 200-225 for between 1-2 hours, internal temperature of 135-140 and let rest for 15 minutes. Slice on the bias and serve.

9. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

I made some smoked tomato soup this past weekend. I didn't care for it, but my boy's girlfriend was crazy for it. His review would not be trustworthy, but the wife, sister and niece claimed to like it also.

10. Son of a Son

Uninformed, you are far more motivated than I. I always just order online:
    The Link
    The Link

11. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

I was motivated to smoke something early in the week and your recipe sounded good. I didn't feel like waiting for the product and there wasn't anything available locally.

It isn't hard to make. However, I have to say it almost killed me. The recipe for the habanero jelly called for boiling for 10 min. while stirring constantly then adding pectin and stirring for another 1 min. at a high boil. There is little more irritating than habanero steam: Man that stuff was lethal and this was after cutting probably 20 peppers and deseeding and removing the spine and blending with vinegar.

The end product was great though. Thanks for the recipe. BTW, how spicy is the purchased jelly? Can you eat it on toast or is it only for basting?

12. Son of a Son

The apple habanero is allsome on top of cream cheese with crackers.

The jelly is usually warm enough to entice a touch of sweat on my forehead, but I am somewhat "weaker" than most Texans when it comes to spice. I have gotten better though! [​IMG]