Things you may not know about TX Basketball

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by ronich, Mar 20, 2015.

1. ronich

ronich 100+ Posts

Even though we are considered a football school Texas Basketball has a fairly elite heritage:

Consider there are 351 Teams in 32 Conferences:

Texas ranks #17 All-Time in wins with 1699

Texas Ranks #22 All-Time in win percentage with .628

Texas Ranks #11 All-Time in NCAA Bids with 32
    (Notre Dame is 10th with 34 Bids, we are the schools with the largest number of bids without a National Championship)

Texas Ranks 29th in number of Final Four appearances with 3

Texas has had 7 Elite 8 appearances and 10 Sweet 16 appearances

Texas has won 25 Conference Championships

Texas has a winning record against every Big 12 conference team, but KSU, KU, and UO

Texas has put 32 Players in the NBA ranking 15th historically

Why did I put these numbers together, yes Football is important, but we are widely considered to be a historic top 20 Basketball School as well.

We deserve better than a one and done great recruiter who cannot coach or make game-time adjustments.

I appreciate his contributions and value the way he represented the school, but is time for Rick to head back to North Carolina.

It is time to being the tradition of winning when it counts again.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Pretty impressive set of numbers for a football school.

3. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Rick Barnes gave us 402 wins and he did so in a Big 12 conference with Kansas that was better than the SWC ever was. That is 24% of our wins in only 17 years. We played 109 years of basketball. So that's 24% of our wins in 16% of our time as a program.

Rick Barnes win % at Texas is .693. So we had a lower winning % before Barnes showed up. We also played in an all Texas teams and the Arkansas Razorbacks conference prior to Barnes. No SWC member ever won a national title as member of the SWC. Arkansas won one in 1994 as a member of the SEC.

Rick Barnes accounts for 16 bids in 17 years. In the 60 years prior to Barnes, we went to the NCAA tournament as many times as Barnes did in 17 years.

Rick Barnes counts for 1/3rd our our appearances and our only appearance that was not in the 1940s.

Rick Barnes accounts for 3 of our Elite 8 appearances and 5 of our Sweet 16 appearances. Penders in the 10 years before Barnes managed 2 sweet 16s and one elite 8. 3 of our elite 8s are 1939, 1943 and 1947. We went to one elite 8 (1990) between 1947 and Rick Barnes.

We won our fair share of SWC titles. It was a bad basketball conference. Barnes has won the most Big 12 conferences titles (3) of any Big 12 coach or team that is not the Kansas Jayhawks.

Thank you Rick Barnes. We have a LOT of losses to OU in basketball prior to Rick Barnes. I do not know if we will gain the series lead in any of our lifetimes.

Texas all-time v. OU
    35-52 (40%)

Texas all-time v. OU before Barnes
    14-34 (29%)

Rick Barnes v. OU
    21-18 (54%)

Rick Barnes has produced 17 NBA players at UT in 16 seasons. The NBA was founded in 1946. In the 51 seasons prior to Rick Barnes, UT produced 12 NBA players. Of those 12, only 3 players (LaSalle Thompson, Johnny Moore, and Slater Martin) played 4 or more seasons. Rick Barnes has so far had 9 players (Aldridge, Augustin, Durant, Ford, Evans, Gibson, Ivey, Mihm, Tucker) play 4 or more seasons!

We were nowhere close to a top 20 basketball school (if we are one now) before Rick Barnes.

Kind of amazing for someone that cannot coach or make game-time adjustment to provide half of the all of our basketball accomplishments you just listed.

Your post indicates otherwise.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  4. The Horn Identity

The Horn Identity 500+ Posts

I appreciate Barnes contributions to our basketball program (just like Mack and football). But, I also think it is time for a change. Unless Barnes has a top-notch playmaking guard (TJ or DJ), his offenses struggle. Unfortunately, Kabango and Taylor has trouble staying on the court.

His teams have often been tough to watch. This year was down right ugly.

5. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

It may very well be time for a change. His offense and results are stagnant. My post was not directed at everyone (nor even everyone who thinks it is time for a change), just those that seem to think Texas had a decent program before Barnes. I guess I should say good before Barnes because we were decent under Lemons and Penders.

The OP just said the person responsible for half our basketball accomplishments he just listed could not coach.

6. shaggy refuge

shaggy refuge 500+ Posts

Barnes needs to retire. Nuff said!

7. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Barnes is goofy-good on the LHN football pre-games. It could be a new career for him. ;)

8. ronich

ronich 100+ Posts

If it came across that I didn't appreciate that half of our NCAA bids or ~25% of our wins were attributable to Coach Barnes, then I am remiss; but how many of our Conference (3/25 2 shared) or National Championships (0/0) did he win? Additionally, for a coach that has been with us 17 years or ~16% of the years we have fielded an NCAA team I would expect with that time and tenure he would contribute at the very minimum ~ 20% of our victories, but not a mere 12% of our Conference Championships.

You don't coach for almost 20 years at a major institution with the resources that Texas has and don't expect to win championships.

I have met Coach Barnes, Coach Brown, Coach Mackovic, Coach Gustafson, Coach Contadt, and they all won some, if not most, of the time and I liked them all.
    However, you can throw out all the stats you want about number of wins, it comes down to winning when it counts and doing it with some semblance of consistency.

If you are a police officer you don't arrest all the jaywalkers, but let murders and rapist go free, if you are a defense lawyer you don't prosecute everyone caught red handed and lose every tough case you have to work through to win.

This is his JOB, and candidly of all the names of the coaches listed above, Barnes has won about as much where it counts as Mackovic (percentagewise), but has had 3 times the time to do it.

I am sorry you feel he is worthy of defending, because I don't.

Although I really like him and believe him to be an amazing person, his job is to win, not skate through easy games, recruit well, and put one year players in the NBA.
    He is a poor coach on the fly, makes bad personnel decisions, and has won virtually of significance nothing with more talent than almost any other program outside of the traditional top 10.

This isn't 2015 Little League or Jr Soccer where everyone gets a trophy for showing up, this is The University of Texas, and good, bad, or indifferent we expect to win and compete in every sport every year.
    He does not get it done, and needs to go.

This conclusion is not nearly as hard for me as Mack Brown's was, who was arguably 5 plays from playing in 5 National Championship Games, and probably winning at least 3, but it was time for Mack to go, and now it is time for Rick to go too.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  9. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG]

10. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Actually, he said we deserve better than what we’ve been getting with Barnes. Hard to argue with that, imo.

If just making the tourney and getting bounced regularly in the first or second round is our idea of successful basketball then we have the right coach.

11. The Horn Identity

The Horn Identity 500+ Posts

Seriously, did you watch the games this year?

We didn't have a legitimate non-conference when. UConn turned out to be an mirage.
    We couldn't defend our home court. Got embarrassed by OU (who held us to 14 points in the first half).
    We didn't have a decent road victory in conference.
    I swear our first possession of a game resulted in a turnover, more than not.
    Rarely scored more than 4 minutes before the first TV time out.
    When we had a lead against a decent team, we would squander it in the last 4 minutes.
    When we were behind against a decent team, our only solution was to have our point guard drive with reckless abandon.
    Do I have to go on?

Oh and as a side note, can someone explain why we don't start the game with someone who can actually win the tip?

12. ronich

ronich 100+ Posts

Took this from dadrivr's excellent post on the Barnes thread:

"Barnes is a good recruiter but a mediocre bench coach who runs a very weak offense. He gets good players but either fails to keep or develop them. We had more talent than Kansas this year, but Barnes was out-coached by most of his colleagues in the Big 12. This year is not an aberration---it is a pattern.

Barnes was ranked the most overrated coach in college basketball by bleacher report in both 2013 and this year:
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...errated-coaches-in-college-basketball/page/12
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...errated-coaches-in-college-basketball/page/11

In 2012, *other college coaches* voted him the 2nd-most overrated coach in the country (behind Roy Williams):
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ho-is-the-most-overrated-coach-in-the-country

The problem with the argument that we should keep him is that there are so many coaches from lower-tiered schools (even in our own conference) who consistently have better teams. In the last 7 years, we haven’t made it to the Sweet 16 and we ended the regular season in the Top 25 only once.

Here are the end-of-season AP Top 25 rankings for UT since 2008:
    2014-2015: unranked
    2013-2014: unranked
    2012-2013: unranked
    2011-2012: unranked
    2010-2011: 10th
    2009-2010: unranked
    2008-2009: unranked

In that span, six Big 12 teams have ended the season in the Top 25 more times than Texas:
    Kansas
    Oklahoma
    Baylor
    Iowa State
    Kansas State
    West Virginia

In other words, we are in the bottom half of the Big 12. It’s time to give someone else a shot. \nn/"

-dadrivr's
    http://www.hornfans.com/threads/barnes.98545/
    Could not have said it better myself, anyone who wants Barnes to stay is delusional. I would rather risk the same type of record with a new coach, then continue with the futility of the current regime.

13. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

No one is arguing the higher level Barnes took this program to. His contributions and accomplishments are very respectable. Similar deal with Mack Brown resurrecting football. Doesn't mean Barnes recent results haven't been less than satisfactory. Over the last handful of years, we've been under the bar he set for the most part.

Sorry if Barnes was the one who set the higher standard of expectations, but that part is now immaterial. Mack set the same higher bar with his consistent football success. He failed to meet them any longer and had to go. Regardless of how the basketball standards came about, they are no longer being achieved by Barnes. Mack was canned for it, and now Barnes has proven it's his time to step aside or get the boot. It's that simple.

14. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I don't even believe it's a case of Barnes vs. himself and the bar that he set or anything like that. Heck, they'd be looking to fire Billy Donovan in Florida if it was on-court 2015 results compared to how well they've historically done.

I think it's that Barnes' style hasn't adapted to the AAU, one-and-done mentality of how to win and how to do it immediately. Barnes will NEVER field another team like the 2003 one, and it's not because he's incapable of getting those players to sign with Texas. It's because there will literally never be a way to win with a squad like that one in this new era. You need to have shooters who can play so-so defense, not defenders who are so-so shooters. You need length, speed, and ball awareness; not height and girth. You have to focus on offense first, because you need to be able to outscore teams when it matters, not outdefend them.

I actually thought we were turning a corner in the conference quarterfinals against ISU. The way we played in the first half of that game reminded me of teams like Arizona. Then, they went full "Barnes mode" in the second half, notably the last 12 minutes of the game. Barnes will never be as successful as the 2003 and 2008 versions of himself at Texas ever again, unless something strange happens like John Calipari bolts for the NBA and Kentucky's AD has a stroke and hires him to coach Calipari's players for a year.

Finally, as others have mentioned, I think Barnes' style has run its course with the kind of Top-100 HS recruit players. They're thinking big picture, he's thinking play-by-play. They do not and will not respond to his doghouse tactics, much like Turner as the season wore on. Whether or not that's good for society that 19-year-olds seem too entitled doesn't change that they're hella good basketball players and we need them on the team.