thinking about ISU

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jan 14, 2008.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Just wondering how the Horns will do against ISU and what they face. Traditionally, ISU is a 3pt shooting team. That remains the same this season. They have two players that have put up over 90 3s this season in 15 games.. Texas as a team has put up 219 3s in 16 games. The Cyclones are hitting 39.5% compared to the Horns' 32.4%.

In Big 12 play, the Horns have allowed 6 of 27 3s (22.2%, second in conference) while hitting 5-29 (17.2%), last in conference play. ISU has taken and made the most 3s in conference play (19-40). However, they rank second in % to MU (47.5% to 50%). The Cyclones are pretty good at defending the 3, allowing only 9-31 (29%), fourth in the Big 12.

The Horns don't seem to have the firepower to trade 3s with ISU. They will have to get fastbreak baskets, dominate the paint, and keep ISU from going wild BTA to have a chance to win. All that is doable, especially as Carla keeps getting more playing time as she recovers.

The Cyclones have tall guards, matching up well with Texas. They have two 6-4 posts (one starts) to work inside. Wieben is the second leading scorer for ISU, providing a nice one two punch for the Cyclones along with Lacey, probably their top 3pt threat.

This is gonna be another game that could go either way. A running team versus a long distance shooting team.

2. rosevilleblock

rosevilleblock 250+ Posts

I think the key will be how much Carla plays. Things seem to run much smoother when she is in. Iowa st. has always shot the 3 ball well and its no secret. Maybe Gail needs to start yanking players out the game for allowing the open three ball to be made. The defense against K-State was horribal in the second half.

3. L4UT

L4UT 100+ Posts

you mean yank them kind of like jody would do for not playing defense - then this board would light her up for doing that - i still say this is a hard group of young ladies to coach - they were all for the most part the "star" in high school and were very highly recruited - they have had a hard time adjusting to the changes needed for big time college ball - mainly defensively which in turn will affect your offense - unfortunately this group has had serious injuries and that doesn't help with development - things will get better

4. #1UTFAN

#1UTFAN 25+ Posts

" i still say this is a hard group of young ladies to coach - they were all for the most part the "star" in high school and were very highly recruited - "

To quote Donna Lopino on women collegiate athletes, " Before they came here they were BIG FISH in a LITTLE POND. Now they are LITTLE FISHES in a BIG POND, along with a bunch of other little fishes."

5. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

LETS SUPPORT THE LADY TONIGHT, LETS BE READY TO FIGHT LADYS. BRING YOUR A GAME

6. Iguana

Iguana 25+ Posts

" i still say this is a hard group of young ladies to coach - they were all for the most part the "star" in high school and were very highly recruited - "

I think Duke might have had some highly recruited players.

7. hornfan56

hornfan56 25+ Posts

Well said Iguana.

8. L4UT

L4UT 100+ Posts

of course duke had highly recruited players - what does that have to do with our highly recruited players having a hard time adjusting to big time college ball - i didn't make that post to compare, just to give another side on why we are struggling - and by the way coach g will get it done and if these players want to be a part of it, they will change and improve in all areas - which i think they will - staying healthy will help tremendously - so all can get a full season of playing together

9. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Well, the Horns poured on the BTA defense and offense, holding ISU to 5-22 3s while making 6-17 themselves. Guess they did have the firepower to play BTA with ISU. ISU had ten more points in the paint (28-18) but the Horns had more second chance pts even though rebounds were tied at 41. Looks like having Carla back playing at around 70% makes a huge differenct. She should be even closer to 100% by Sunday. Kat had trouble getting open as they were all over her when she got the ball but she was able to cash in on a few open looks (3-5 from BTA).

Tech is up next and no one on the Tech boards seems very happy with their play just now. Kat and Ebay may have a field day from BTA if Tech doesn't improve their perimeter defense.