This Oscar telecast sucks

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by HornHawk, Feb 27, 2011.

1. HornHawk

HornHawk 250+ Posts

There is nothing remotely redeeming to it so far. Anne Hathaway may be hot, but she is not up for hosting the show and James Franco just seems lost. Even the opening, where they insert themselves into the movies, was unfunny.

Makes you wish Ricky Gervais was hosting.

2. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Amen. Since when did "young and hip" mean "boring and unfunny?"

3. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

I actually thought the opening deal with the two of them appearing in each movie was pretty good. The rest of it -- not so much.

4. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

5. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

Anne Hathaway should have hosted by herself.

6. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

hosts aside, does anyone know what song that was that played during the little montage they did during clips of the 10 Best Picture films, right near the end of the broadcast? It's driving me nuts, I've heard that score before but can't remember where and no luck so far on the google...

7. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

One of them was Lawrence of Arabia, but there were several others, I recognized some, not others.

8. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

Accurate, I think the one I was trying to remember was from one of Beethoven's Opus. It must've been used in a movie not too long ago. Hauntingly powerful.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Trent Reznor win an award last night. Kudos to him. I thought Jonny Greenwood got shafted a few years ago for There Will be Blood, so seeing Reznor get the praise due for years of creative sound was nice for the genre that these musicians inhabit.

And Christian Bale winning his award was all I really cared about. He's become a power-hitter for his generation of actors, and even though he doesn't typically take roles that are sure-fire Best Picture nominees, he's surely had his fair share of outstanding performances.

9. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I was tempted to watch just because Ann Hathaway was on, but since she's not returning my calls, I figured why should I give her the satisfaction?

10. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Beethoven Symphony #7 Second movement.

I thought the best movie montage was very well put together. At first, I thought it unbalanced to use voice over from a single nominee, but it worked when all was said and done.

Love this piece of music. I think I remember hearing it first at the end of Zardoz.

Overall, the broadcast lacked wit. Anne Hathaway had a lot of gollee! charm, but the ceremony goes better with laughs. James Franco had no presence at all.

11. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

The only two awards I really cared about were original score and original song. And I was happy with the outcomes of Trent Reznor and Randy Newman.

I didn't see any of the movies that were nominated.

12. freyguy

freyguy 250+ Posts

Wait, I'm not the only person to have seen Zardoz? Wow.

13. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

Saw Zardoz at the old River Oaks in Houston when I was in high school. Didn't know quite what to make of it, but it has a special place in my heart as one of the movies you see when you're a teenager and actually have to think a little about it.

Charlotte Rampling was very easy on the eyes.

14. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

15. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

The worst part of the show - or at least the most uncomfortable - was Kirk Douglas. It was easier watching Colin Firth's performance of a stammering George V than it was Kirk Douglas trying to tell a joke or hit on Melissa Leo.