This years team

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Vol Horn 4 Life, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

2. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

They sure do walk around campus in a very cocky way. You'd think getting your *** handed to you and struggling the way they are there would be a little bit of humility. They could give a **** from the looks of it. Meh, just a game, no big deal.

Many football players had the same attitude after being gang raped by OU. Business as usual, whatever, no big deal. What needs to happen is a moratorium on them getting any tail after defeats like that. But as long as the wimins flock to them no matter what, where's the penalty?

3. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

Loop, Barnes should put a lockdown on Facebook priveleges and lock up their oversized headphones for three days after a loss. Hit 'em where it hurts. [​IMG]

That's a shame to hear that they don't act fazed after getting pantsed week in/week out. Apathy is hard to wash off.

4. mojo17

mojo17 1,000+ Posts

RIDLEY equal not so good

5. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

6. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Yet another wasted opportunity tonight. Can't shoot for ****.

7. Branyon

Branyon 500+ Posts

McClellan has had some pitiful shooting efforts this season. His FG % before tonight was 37.2%. That is terrible.

8. Third Coast

It wouldn't surprise me if TCU and Tech were the only conference wins this season.

9. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

10. arieshorn

arieshorn 1,000+ Posts

I wish we had a coach that brings a new offense to Texas and at least someone who teaches FT shooting. We've had consistently bad FT % during the Barnes error.

11. Vol Horn 4 Life

12. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

It doesn't take championships to fill the Drum. I remember the sold-out game against OK State in Barnes' first year. It was a madhouse. Desmond Mason went off for like 29 points and the fans ripped in to Doug Gottlieb. We pulled it out in the end with FTs. We sure as hell didn't play well in the NCAAs that year. It takes a team that is actually competitive and doesn't sit around smiling on the bench whenever we lose to yet another unranked team.

You'd still be able to find tickets if we were 20-2 right now. But it'd be mostly full.

13. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

I had season tickets for Texas' first year in the drum (nee Special Events Center, now The Erwin Center) and went to every game.

Moved some years/decades ago from Austin about 1.5 hour drive, so attend not so much now.

But....a few years ago bought ticket pairs for home games against TTech, OkieState and aggy. The aggy tickets were literally on the highest row of seating and I stood the whole game. That was the KD vs. AcieLawIII game that went IIRC 2 or 3 OTs, nationally televised, two top-5 teams, very, very loud arena. It rocked.

I don't apologize one second for posting that with the pathetic excuse for the state of the men's BB program right now, I'm just not motivated to buy tix and do a 3-hour round trip to see this current product.

Some people call that sad; I call it sad that some will put on a cut-up basketball on their head, go shirtless with body paint, jump and down and ape for the TV cameras, and demand that you're just not a real fan if you don't ---- even in the team sucks.

Improve the product a bit, instead of literally being at the bottom of a 10-team league, and I'll go to a few games.

Until then, well, there's always the LHN.

Hook 'em

14. Third Coast

I've been watching the Horns play basketball a long time and can't recall a worse shooting team at Texas. Not to say that there hasn't been one statistically speaking, but I don't remember it.

15. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

16. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

17. Third Coast

I've been watching since Leon Black was coach and the worst Texas team that I've seen was Kaiser Bob's first season in 1982-83 that finished 6-22.

After the mass exodus of players following Abe Lemons firing, that team was so short handed they had to play cheerleader Lance Wilson.

18. Vol Horn 4 Life

Well folks here we go with the Horns going down the back stretch of the last eight games. At 10-13 there are only two games that are almost guaranteed wins against TCU and Tech. TCU had a miraculous win against Kansas at home, but they quickly returned to their sub midocre ways losing to OU tonight by 27 points. Both games should be a win.

The schedule plays out like this:

vs Iowa St
    at #14 Kansas
    at TCU
    vs #10 Kansas St
    vs Oklahoma
    at #17 Oklahoma St
    vs Baylor
    @ Texas Tech

Here's my take. With Kabongo coming back on Wednesday they should be competitive against ISU, but it takes time to get some type of cohesiveness. Even though the game is at home I'll pick ISU in a close one.

Next up is Kansas who has been reeling as of late. I'm at the cusp of picking the upset here being at home combined witht their recent reeling ways, but Kansas almost always comes up big against Texas no matter the talent and trends so I'll go with Kansas here too although I think it'll be closer than most may think.

Then comes the game at TCU. This will be the confidence builder the team needs with Texas winning big.....really big.

Next up: KSU! Nope, no bag. They own us and nothing will change here. They have a really good team and we will be strutting around after a couple close games and a big win and will get beat by 15+ at home.

Then comes OU. Yeah, they're ok, but nothing special. After the beat down by KSU I'll predict the team feels the need to step up with Kabongo now having time to get comfortable in the game plan plus its OU. I predict an upset win at home.

Next up OSU. They'll again have great confidence after beating OU as they travel to Stoolwater. However, they'll not have learned their lesson, lose their focus thinking they are better than they are and lose the game probably by 10+.

They come back home to play Baylor humbled. I think they rebound with another win with no other reason than to believe it's our time to beat Baylor in a close one.

Finally the Horns travle to Tech to close the season with a blowout of the Faders.

So I promised earlier in the year not to predict anymore games, but optistimically think we close the season 4-4 to end the season 14-17 whiffing on the post season.

Here's to next year!

19. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I agree that 4-4 seems likely, although my wins would have been ISU, TCU, BU, and Tech. btw, Penders was fired for 14-17.

20. Third Coast

Penders' losing record in his final season was no doubt a contributing factor, but it wasn't the primary reason he was forced to resign. That would be the Luke Axtell fiasco.

21. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Iowa State is shooting 30% from the field but we're still losing. The biggest differences are FT shooting and turnovers.

22. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Well that was quite a turn of events several times, a really
    good win.

23. Vol Horn 4 Life

I should have kept my prognosticating hat off. Loss to ISU was a win and a close loss to Kansas turned into an embarrassment.

Oh well.

24. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Win 4 of the last 5 and win three games in the Big XII tournament and we are a bubble team that is heating up.......

25. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Unfortunately 2 of those 5 games are against KSU and Okla St. at their house. Combined conference record of 19-6, and only 1 loss at home in conference play between the two of them. Each has lost 1 game all year at home.

Squeezing out 3 of 5 is very possible with OU and Baylor at home, and awful Texas Tech on the road. Doubt that would be enough even with 3 conference tourney wins, but who knows.

26. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

K-States at home and yes we will need to upset somebody or a couple of teams.

Winning 9/12 games to close the year would be a strong case, again just to make the bubble, end up being an 11 seed. The team showed some good defense in the first half against KU, was inconsistent but showed some flashes against TCU.

I enjoyed watching the last three games with Kabongo in the lineup....this team will continue to improve..... [​IMG]

27. Vol Horn 4 Life

Win 4 of 5 and three in the tourney and we have a whopping 19-16 team. That's not a bubble record unless you mean bubble for the NIT. More likely we end 3-2 and 1-1 in the tourney to end 16-17 for the year.

28. Third Coast

I have to agree with Vol. Avoiding a non-losing overall record appears to be a monumental task for this team.

29. Vol Horn 4 Life

The KSU game went about how I expected with a 12 point loss.

I still think the Horns will take OU out on Wednesday in the upset.

30. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

OU game looks similar to the KSU game so far. Sheldon McClellan has regressed past the point of no return. I'd be shocked if he was still on the roster next season. Permanent doghouse.