Thoughts about the 1969 Texas-Arkansas Game.

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by WYhornfan, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Doughbroz

Doughbroz 250+ Posts

I still remember DKR referring to Halsell as "a rolling ball of butcher knives".

2. m/

m/ 100+ Posts

Arkansas didn't have lights at that time.

Street to Peschel happened in the southeast corner of the field.

The television broadcast got a 50 share, which means that half of all American television sets were tuned to the game.

The highway patrol told Coach Royal that during the game that Saturday, there were hardly any cars on the roads in Texas.

The Longhorns were favored by 10 points.

Oh yeah, and the No. 1 song in the country that day was "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye." ;-)

3. borna_horn

borna_horn 1,000+ Posts

Notice at the very end of the clip of Nixon's entrance there is a very young George Bush Sr. following right behind him. He looks like a kid!

I would not trade 1969 or 2005 for any other football seasons in college football history. We've been spoiled as fans.

4. celis

celis 250+ Posts

My dad bought a color tv to watch the game.

5. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Two other tidbits:

The 1969 season was the 100th year of college football, attested to by the Horns having the orange decal with 100 in white prominant on their helmets.

Also, the game was referred to as "The Game of the Century" even before it was played, for all the reasons stated on this thread.

6. IB ROC N

IB ROC N 100+ Posts

About twelve of the guys (all teenagers) in our neighborhood watched the game at the house on our street that had a color TV.

On Tuesday night of that week, I remember tuning in to an AM radio station in Arkansas (this was before the days of FM radio) and every ten minutes to fifteen minutes, the station ran a recorded promo of a group of people screaming "Beat Texas!". I listened every night through Friday to that station and they never let up.

How good was the 1969 team? aggy coach Gene Stallings said, "They're as great as I've ever seen. I know they're the best I've ever played against".

7. skyranger43

skyranger43 100+ Posts

This is a great thread! For the old guys to try to remember their thoughts and what made it great for them. In my posts it was to eventually with your help get things right and for the young guys to learn some great things about your Longhorns. It was a magic year just like 2005 and I am greatful to have lived through both. Thanks from me to all the posters. I really enjoyed it even though I wasn't the original poster.

8. Skip

Skip 25+ Posts

I watched the game on TV after attending all the games in Austin and sitting next to Joe Jamail and his wife (I didn't have a clue who he was but he most have gotten his tickets from the same former Texas basketball player that felt sorry for me and helped me out with season tickets). All the comments about the emotional intensity are accurate and I wasn't sure my heart would keep going in the 4th quarter.

I went back to grad school in '70 and was at the game in Austin the next year. I was in the NEZ and there was a guy behind me from UA who kept hollering how lucky we had been the year before. He left some time during the 3rd quarter when we were up by 28.
    I have never been more depressed than when I drove home after the CB game against ND. It was a grey, cold, cloudy, day and the 30 game streak was over and I was looking at nothing but being an impoverished grad student for the next nine months [​IMG].

Being at the 2006 RB brought a lot of those memories back (fortunately no longer impoverished [​IMG] ). I'm not sure how to rank them but since I was at the RB, it will always be my favorite.

9. hamhorn

hamhorn 100+ Posts

I was a fifth year senior on December 6, 1969.

The people I've talked to and the reports I've read said that Glen Halsell said "it don't make a ****" at the coin toss of the 1969 A&M game in College Station, which game I attended.

I've heard a couple of people say that Bradley said it at the coin toss of the Aggie game in Memorial Stadium in 1968.

I wish someone who really knows would post the correct version.

10. Humble Glenn

Humble Glenn < 25 Posts

I was there,also, and stood on the Texas sideline. Cold, misty, nasty day. Broyles could have put the game out of reach with a field goal before the Lester int but got greedy. The great darrell Royal and his gutsy call made the difference. Tom's int came within a few feet of me on the sideline. He turned to the intended receiver and said "This beats you a--". I remember the plane ride back with team when James grabbed the plane mike and did some funny remarks to the team. Huge crowd at the airport in austin and we had problems getting off and to our families. I'll always remember it and be grateful that I was there.

11. Dave C

Dave C < 25 Posts

Glenn, was this when you were doing the Texas radio broadcasts? I remember listening to you.

12. Humble Glenn

Humble Glenn < 25 Posts

Yes, thanks for remembering. I did SWC games from 1950 to 1987 but was not assigned to do that game. That is why Coach Royal named me honorary coach so could go along.I have great memories but it was a worrisome game...but a wonderful ending.

13. MiketheWOP

MiketheWOP < 25 Posts

Another thing that stands out in my mind is the sporstmanship on both sides. Obviously it was a time before trash-talking, taunting etc. but there was a lot on the line that day and both sides handled themselves admirably, IMO. Can't say the same for the hog fans. I met a guy who was in the LHB and he told me he had to block a flying whiskey bottle with his tuba. DeNino did'nt bring the band back to arkysaw for a long time. I believe it was the late 70's before the band returned.
    Piggy will disagree but the best team won without a doubt.....we gave up 6 turnovers in a hostile stadium and still came away with a victory.......I watched the whole thing on our 24 in. Zenith tv and will never forget it. Went up to Austin after the game and partied on the Drag till the wee hours.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. kyler

kyler 100+ Posts

Glenn, good to see you still lurk here. How did you happen to be on the sidelines and team plane? Surely those ark jerks didn't make ya'll do the radio broadcast from the sidelines? I know I've told you this before but guys like you, Jack Dale, Frank Fallon are sorta heroes to me. Those old SWC football radio broadcasts are some mighty fond memories from my younger days. Because of ya'll, I still catch the radio play-by play whenever possible (even with TV)
    THANK YOU!

15. borna_horn

borna_horn 1,000+ Posts

Its funny to think how in 30+ years some of us may be on here recalling the '06 Rose Bowl. [​IMG]

One thing I've always wished is that I could hear the radio broadcast of that '69 game. The radio usually tells the story much better than the TV does. With the noise of the crowd and the excitement in the announcer's voice, you feel like you are there. I have fond memories of the Ron Franklin UT game broadcasts from '83 to '88.

16. Humble Glenn

Humble Glenn < 25 Posts

Thank you,Kyler, for those very kind words. I was honored to be Honorary Coach by Darrell and got to be with the team on the plane, sidelines,the dressing room after the game watching the President proclaim us Number One,etc. Nice memories for an ole has-been. Thanks again. Glenn

17. DeadHorse

DeadHorse 1,000+ Posts

Again, read the book. That game had a lot more going on than football but the book does a very good job of covering the football angle.

18. 78horn

78horn < 25 Posts

Borna_Horn:

I agree whole heartily about the old radio broadcasts back in the days....they were outstanding. Connie Alexander & Stan MacKenzie worked this game and I was able to get a tape of the game a few years ago. I have sinced dubbed their calls towards the end of the game over the ABC footage. It is outstanding! I can tell you that as Texas is running out the clock at the end, Connie Alexander refers to the "noose tighting around the necks of the Razorbacks".

One thing I haven't seen mentioned on this thread is that the game was originally scheduled for its usual spot following the OU game. In anticipation of a big showdown, ABC TV approached the two schools before the season began and asked them to move the game. The tickets had already been printed by then. Those with tickets can see that the date has been modified to reflect the new date.

Lastly, I think the cold weather Texas faced in this game helped prepare them for a very cold date with Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl about a month later.

19. Franco

Franco 250+ Posts

20. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

Man I can't add much to what has been posted. I am very fortunate to have got to enjoy the 1963, 1969, 1970 and 2005 NCs. In 1963 not all the games were televised and many afternoon I would go into the garage and turn on the radio and hear the games.
    The 1969 team was great but one of our best players defensive lineman Leo Brooks was injured during the SMU game and didn't get to play against Arkansas and Notre Dame. His replacement did good but it wasn't like having probably the best defensive linemen in the country playing. If he had played there is no telling what those scores would have been because he was great and on his way to having a great season.

21. MiketheWOP

MiketheWOP < 25 Posts

My old VHS tape of this game is worn out and was of poor quality to begin with......anyone know where I can get a good copy? [​IMG]

22. skyranger43

skyranger43 100+ Posts

Bill in Sinton you talk like you might be old enough to remember on radio, Kern Tips. He did the SWC game of the week for Humble Oil and Refining (now EXXON) back in Darrell's early years. He was the best, most professional radio announcer I ever heard. All those that were listed were great, but I think any old timers will tell you Kern Tips was "King". You literally could just see a play happening in your mind as he described it. There is some old stuff of his out there, if you get a chance to buy a game or a year it is well worth it. Those were the glory years of the SWC!

23. borna_horn

borna_horn 1,000+ Posts

I was born in '74 and even I've heard of Kern Tips! Must've been a really good announcer.

One thing people probably forget about is the year Brad Sham called UT football - 1989. His call of the OU game still resonates in my memory. That was the year we finally broke through after five straight years without a win against the Land Thieves.

24. Humble Glenn

Humble Glenn < 25 Posts

Some of you have mentioned Kern Tips He was the finest football announcer ever. He hired me on the SWC broadcasts in 1950. Nationalets tried to hire him but he wasd a partner in Wilkinson Schiwetz and Tips ad agency and Kern had control of the business of a company called

humble Oil,later Exxon, and would not go to New York. hwas my boss until his death, assigned games and crews and always did the "game of the week" on the SWC network. In my opinion, no one will ever be better He coined many phrases thatn you still hear today...a FB waterfalled over the middle", tertiary. malfunction at the junction, etc. I always wanted to be as good but never was, of course. I wanted, like Kern, to paint a sound picture so that listeners could virtually see the game. Sorry to be so wordy..Kern Tips was thr best who ever lived at his job.Alex Chesser was his "color announcer" always. Guys like Ves Box, Eddie Barker and, later, Connie Alexander, Jack Dale, Stan McKenzie, Dave Smith and others carried on.Thanks for letting me drone on about something I love. Glenn

25. SL_Horn

SL_Horn 25+ Posts

Glenn - I assume this game ranks right up there with the most memorable you attended. Can you tell us the most memorable game(s) you announced? It would be interesting for us long-time followers of the old SWC...

26. HornMafia

HornMafia 100+ Posts

I just finished the book last night. Great stuff and highly recommended.

27. hamhorn

hamhorn 100+ Posts

My dad, a Longhorn grad, took me to see the Longhorns get beaten badly by USC in Austin in 1956, and what he wanted to see happen, happened: I fell in love with UT, The Horns and Austin.

Next year Dad was lying down on our living room floor with a pillow under his head listening to Kern Tips do the Texas-Rice game, courtesy of the Humble Oil and Refining Company.

I heard Mr. Tips say "the boys in blue give it a go tonight against the 'Steahs' (Steers)", and "Waltuh (Walter) Fondren skips across the daisies into Royal soil" and "Maurice Doke clicks his heels together and says 'that's all, brotha'" and "Texas puts the bits and pieces together for another first down".

There has never been anyone behind a microphone like him before or since.

With about a minute to play, the Horns fell behind but Rene Ramirez took the kickoff back 70 or so yards for the winner. Dad jumped and ran down the hall screaming. Scared my baby sister.

I got the message then that Longhorn football was serious stuff. Yep, I've seen all the National Championship wins, though not in person. No, I saw in person TCU in 1959, '61, and '65, the '71 Notre Dame game and a few other bad ones, but I did see the 1962 Arkansas game, which is the best football game I've seen at Memorial Stadium, and I've seen all but five games there since 1968.

Before January 4, 2006, the most exciting day of football I've ever had was December 6, 1969.

28. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

sky I sure do remember Kern Tips as do some of the others. I remember he broadcast many a game and in fact I think he did all of UT's games in 1963 even though he usually perferred to do the game of the week. He was great. He would say things like when a pass was overthrown it was "Too Tall for All." Another one was when a QB was sacked he would say "He has to peel it and eat it."

Very great indeed!

29. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

I watched this game at a friend's house one block from Lanier High School. My brother and this friend both played football in the same class as Rodney Peschel who was Randy's younger brother. We all knew Randy too.

When he caught that pass I thought I was going to jump through the roof. What a day.

One thing I remember was it was already cold but an Arctic front blew through Austin after the game. It got real cold.

I was only 14 and did not drive but I convinced my mom to take me to the airport to greet the team.
    Talk about a madhouse.
    It was unbelievable.
    There were so many people out on the tarmac they had to hold the plane out on the runway so they could move enough people to get the plane to the gate.

And after that madness I got my mom to drive me down to the Drag. Another unbelievable site.
    Bumper to bumper as far as you could see and the sidewalks and the street were packed with happy fans. I sat up on the door hanging out of the window high-fiving and soaking up the moment.

It was 1969 and I was on the Drag.......Hmmmmmm.......

A few weeks later for Christmas I received one of the greatest presents ever.

A ticket to the Cotton Bowl game to see Texas beat Notre Dame for the national championship.

It has been almost 40 years now.........
    Where did the time go ?

30. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

I can't say that I was around to see that game but I do remember that Jose Pena was knocked unconscious for a good portion of the game after being hit by an errant "Hook 'em Horns" hand sign. I also know that Jose can be seen for a few seconds in a sideline shot on the ESPN Classic re-broadcast of the game. [​IMG]