Thoughts on the debate in general?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by DigglerontheHoof, Feb 22, 2008.

1. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts

This was the first debate of this election, Rep or Dem, that I've watched from end to end.

My random thoughts:

Obama came off very well and I was extremely impressed by his presence.

HDTV is not a friend of Hillary. She looked like a corpse w/ pancake makup. I couldn't help but think of the JFK/Nixon debate of 1960 where Jack was looking tan and confident and Dick looked pale an sweaty. I'd also like someone to slap that stupid smirk off her face.

I don't have a problem w/ either's stance on immigration. I will say I was pleasantly surprised to hear their views on getting immigrants to learn english. Pretty much mirrors mine...we should all try to be bilingual but english should be our unifiying language.

Neither addressed the earmarks or pork questions other than to point the finger at Bush's tax policy. This is one area where I really like McCain over either of these candidates. Term limits, term limits, term limits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not a fan of universal healthcare so the differnces in their plans means little to me...I think it's a mistake either way. I will say, however, that I think Obama would have a much better chance of getting his plan through that Hillary simply b/c she's so divisive and ****** it up so badly before.

Leadership impression. Obama wins this and it's not even ******* close. I could see Obama, even as left as he is, reaching across the isle in a much more effective way than Hillary. She's a lightening rod and I think many of her initiatives would be fought simply b/c of who she is. Also (and I have nothing to back this up other than "gut") I believe Obama would be the better statesperson for international relations.

I'll probably have more later but I will say Obama took a major step forward in my decision for 08. For ME it's clearly a two person race: Obama and McCain.

I'm not sure who I'll vote for yet but at least I've narrowed it down.

An other "undecideds" have thoughts?

2. Fried JJ Pickles

Fried JJ Pickles 1,000+ Posts

3. kevwun

kevwun 1,000+ Posts

The smirking was bad. Has no one told her to stop doing it? It's not helping her image.

4. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

I thought Hillary did very well, overall it was a draw, but she knocked it out of the park at the end.

Obama is not good with the attack, his body language said it all.

Just because she is a woman, it troubles me that her appearance is judged so much, that has nothing to do with running the country.

Overall, he is the rockstar, she is the leader.

I can only hope if she does not pull it out, he as the sense to pull her in as VP or cabinet member.

5. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

6. kevwun

kevwun 1,000+ Posts

7. Sii

Sii 1,000+ Posts

Obama came off last night as a leader WAY more than Hillary did. I agree he of anyone has the best chance to reach across to the other side.

I think Hillary needed a huge performance last night and she sure didnt get it. She didnt blow up but it was nothing special. She needed a home run type deal and it never happened

Obama came off as very presidential IMO. I think he gave his best answers to some of the questions of these 10,000 debates

8. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

9. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

See, the word "*****" comes up again.

Great political discourse and debate.

Give me a ******* break.

10. kevwun

kevwun 1,000+ Posts

I didn't call her a *****. I said a lot of people think she is one. Smirking whenever Obama speaks hurts her. I don't understand why she stills does it. How difficult is it to sit solemnly and jot down some notes? It would help her image.

11. DigglerontheHoof

One thing I forgot.

Obama has a certain "Reagan" quality to him (sorry I know many Obama supporters hate Reagan almost as much as Bush). I say this b/c even though I know I disagree w/ a good deal of his platform, I'm willing to give him a listen and I think that will translate to his governing style.

I remember that Reagan and Tip O'Neal (House Speaker) had little in common politically but were actually close personally and socialized quite a bit. I don't think Hillary could pull that off in a million years but for some reason I think Obama could....maybe it's wishful thinking.

12. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

The only thing I get from these debates is how each of the candidates holds-up under pressure. As far as their programs and their policies. Most of what they are saying is just a pipe dream to secure votes. More than likely, and if they are elected, 90% of their ideas will die in congress. Thank goodness for checks and balances.

13. The Dog

The Dog 250+ Posts

I was surprised nobody asked about the mob attack on the US Embassy. I wanted to hear what Obama had to say about it. he talks a lot about 'talking with our enemies' and I would want to hear his take on the situation and the decision to recognize Kosovo.

Hillary's would be pretty hawkish I would think considering her husband bombed them. [​IMG]

14. kevwun

kevwun 1,000+ Posts

Hillary talked about holding the Serbian government responsible for providing security for the embassy. I didn't watch the whole debate, but I caught that part.

15. The Dog

The Dog 250+ Posts

okay that doesn't surprise me. I watched most of the debate but the first hour got pretty boring and I changed channels for a bit.

16. WhitmanSampler

WhitmanSampler 250+ Posts

17. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

The Cuba question, as mentioned in a previous thread, was great.

I think Hillary would be very hawkish on national security.

One never wants to hold dialogue with one who murders, imprisons, and silences their government's critics.

You open that door, it shows you blink and are weak.

18. doylehargraves

doylehargraves 500+ Posts

No real differences in policy stances. Clinton simply comes off in a dictatorial fashion emphasizing ' I " in how she is going to change things. Obama brings "we" into the equation. It gives a sense of empowerment to people, has resulted in a ground swell, and he has and will continue to mop up the floor with her.

19. WhitmanSampler

WhitmanSampler 250+ Posts

How about a dialog that includes "stop murdering, inprisoning, and silencing your government's critics"?

I think we have "dialogged" , and even done deals with many such governments in the past. Is that really your standard? I guess you were opposed to our supporting or dialogging with the Shah, Saudi Arabia, just about hald the South American governments, the Societ Union, Russia, China (can we play ping pong with those who murder, imprison and silience?) ad infinitem et nauseam. I guess we are abunch of blinking weak guys.

20. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

Cuba trade v/s China trade, ahem.

21. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

For Democrats: the debate solidified leans, but didn't cause anyone to switch.

For Republicans: Hillary is still the one they want out of the race and they will vote for Obama to make that happen.

In other news, Nader is scheduled for Meet the Press and some think he will announce his Presidency run because both parties and their candidates, including Barack, are captive to corporate America.

22. Fightin' Horn II

Fightin' Horn II 500+ Posts

23. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

24. DigglerontheHoof

25. MTF

MTF 1,000+ Posts

26. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

27. Sii

Sii 1,000+ Posts

28. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

He has really improved over the last seven-plus months. He appears confident and he does not seem to shy away from addressing difficult decisions and bringing a rational reason why his ideas should be enacted.

If he advances, McCain is going to have his hands full. You could see how he was positioning for debate on Iraq with McCain. He draws very clear contrasts regarding foreign policy which allows the voter to easily decide – “I agree with that, I disagree with that.” If he is reading the mood of the country correctly, those are persuasive arguments.

I saw Hillary’s ending (which was the best she has looked since NH) as a commitment to reconcile and maybe an admission that this was the beginning of the end for her.

29. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

That xerox deal seemed so scripted and she abandoned it right away and finished as herself.

That is why she knocked it out of the park at the end of the debate.

Some overpaid adviser feed her the line, it sucked, she moved on and became human at the end.

I thought it was a great moment.

30. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts