Thread to discuss teams and games not involving Texas in 2021-2022

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by racerx5908, Nov 15, 2021.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

No way they're a #2 seed in the NCAA tournament... Not after getting hammered in Austin by 25, then again by 25 on their home court tonight vs. Baylor.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

ISU has no resume. They swept Oklahoma and that’s about it. What signature out of conference win do they have? They are riding Big 12 coattails thanks to a team that swept them fairly easily in my opinion.

I went back and looked. They beat Iowa

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

We messed ourselves up losing three conference games that we shouldn't have. But that was bound to happen with our lack of maturity earlier in the season. I love the way we've been playing lately as we have matured, and that's what matters the most. Here's hoping we keep this up for the rest of the season.
    :hookem2:

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I don’t think the committee can overlook the last few beatdowns that IS took. If we win our two conference games and do well in the tournament, the Horns will be a 2 seed.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I definitely agree. For some reason, the committee just seems to love them (and nothing seems to change that, including blowout losses). I don't get it at all. Lost to LSU; lost to Baylor twice; lost to Texas twice. Beat Iowa and one of the South Dakota schools.

All I can think of is that they have blown out a lot of their opponents; perhaps that's a factor somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Iowa State seems to do really well against teams who don't play good defense, or any kind of defense for that matter. If you leave them wide open, they will hit a lot of 3's while their opponents are only making 2's; hardly any of their players can create their own shots. Once they get ahead and in rhythm, it just snow-balls and the opponents can't catch up.

And, teams who are stronger than them in the post and rebound really well (like Texas and Baylor) give them a lot of trouble.

So, the above reasons are pretty much why ISU is undefeated against the rest of the Big 12, and o-fer against Texas and Baylor.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

The thing is, the committee has continued to overlook their 3 previous blowout losses to Texas (twice) and Baylor in each of the most recent bracket reveals prior to last night's blowout loss to Baylor at home.

Perhaps it has to do with the timing of those losses; other teams in Top 5-10 haven been losing games here and there, as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Last night’s beat-down at HOME by Baylor I think will be a difference maker. Joens struggled. I still think in my fair and biased opinion that Texas will jump to a 2 seed at the end. IF we look ok against KU AND do good in B12 tournament. It would be good to be in opposite bracket from Baylor. Baylor is a bad matchup for us. I’m feeling positive on Tuesday. Wednesday game is HUGE. I will back track a little. If UCONN looks great with their point guard Bueckers back, they will be the first team to move up into a 2 seed. So we “may” need another 2 seed to get knocked off in their tournaments. Fun times.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

In all honesty, our #10 national seed in last night's reveal looked good getting placed with #2 Stanford and #7 LSU in the Spokane regional. I'd rather not move up to the #8/9 seed and be placed in #1 South Carolina's regional in Greensboro, NC.

Last night's reveal (if it came to fruition) would mean #8 Michigan would have to go through #9 UConn and then #1 South Carolina to get to the Final Four; that is a tough row to hoe.

• Agree Agree x 7
  10. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I liked that placement as well. Would love to see how Schaefer goes up against Mulkey and her transition team. And beating Stanford once is comforting. Wonder if Stanford would shoot the 3 like in first game? I guarantee Texas is one of the teams no one wants to play. Their style is something that is difficult to play against if you haven’t seen it before. Matchups are so critical. If the opponent doesn’t have a quick ball handling guard or two….they are behind the eight ball. I know Stanford didn’t early. And would love to see if Mulkey’s transfer guards could handle it.

11. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

A&M down 18 points to Vanderbilt at Halftime. Outscored 29-10 in Qtr 1.

This might be it for Blair and the replacement clock officially starts

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

A&M beat Vandy by 18 at College station the last time they played. This team has given up on the season since they know they will not make the NCAA tourney! SAD!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

They fought to get it down to six points but not closer.

Gary Blair in his postgame interview is pushing (in general) to give assistant coaches around the country a chance as HC. Hope their AD is listening lol

• Like Like x 2
  14. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

:)

15. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Precious Johnson starting in the 11/14 matchup with Alabama today. Got the first two points of the game at the free throw line. Announcers noted she’s coming off a double-double against Kentucky with 18 pts and 10 rebounds. She’s developed quite nicely I’d say.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I heard that as well. He stated a couple of times that assistant coaches should be given the chance to be hired as head coaches as they have put in their time (just like he did as an assistant coach), and that ADs shouldn't hire someone to simply "win the press conference" (I'm not really sure what that means).

He never singled out Kelly Bond-White to replace him; but, if he's having to lobby for assistant coaches immediately after the final game of his career, it makes me think that KBW is not the frontrunner to replace Blair at A&M.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I wasn’t quite sure about the “press conference” reference but took it as a “splash hire” which we all know Vic would be. It wouldn’t surprise me if Blair advised Vic he would do well to stay at Texas honestly.

18. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

It’s a power struggle right now in CS. Gary wants KBW to be head coach and stayed an extra year to guide her. The $$ people want Vic. Even if Vic stays here I don’t see KBW getting it after the way Aggie finished the season. Kim going to LSU reshaped the hiring process for SEC teams. Mississippi State supposedly going in hard on Smesko from FGCU.

• Like Like x 1
  19. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

A&Ms coaching hire is going to get interesting. I thought for sure the assistant was a lock but now I'm wondering. I'm hoping they don't throw everything plus the kitchen sink at Vic. I know I would.

I'm still shocked he came to TX especially since he's an Aggie. I wonder if he was running from something at MSST so he took the TX job as a holding place until the A&M job became available. I'm just speculating. I know nothing and I'm a conspiracy theorist, always looking for something behind something.

Well if they want to make a splash hire...Vic, Dawn, Jeff, Aida, Mulkey (lol, I still can't believe she left BU), NCST coach, Oregon coach. You know they have to one up TX. Man. I wonder who it is.

20. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Yep, that's definitely the breakout performance of the year for her. Where there's one, there's another!

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Whatever kitchen sink TAMU has, UT has one AT LEAST as deep plus the new facilities that will be matched by very few (if any). We'll see what happens. As I said before, the good thing is we won't have to wait long to find out.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  22. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

For those who are curious, IMO we should be rooting for either/both ISU and OU to lose this weekend. That would bump Texas from 4th to that 2/3 seed line which helps us avoid BU until the championship game. Our depth vs their "lack of" makes it more ideal for us to face them after what would be a really tough matchup for BU vs the winner of OU and KU. I would like our chances vs ISU in the semi's at the bottom of the bracket

• Agree Agree x 4
  23. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

ISU 2, Texas 3 and OU 4 is the perfect match-up in my opinion with hopes that OU could deliver another blow to BU in the semi game setting up a chance for a Texas 3-peat of OU.

:idk:It could happen.

• Like Like x 1
  24. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I hate the tie-breaker that puts OU in front of us... IMO point differential between two teams should be the FIRST thing considered when they are tied. But at the end of the day, we have to own the body of work that has placed us in this position. It has been an unfortunate lesson for the young kids but a valuable one.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Colorado beat Arizona by 2 today

If you want to see Celeste Taylor play, Duke vs Miami is on Bally Sports currently. Tied at 32 and Celeste was the only player in double digits with 12 at halftime

• Like Like x 1
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I'm not really sure what that means. Miss. State fought hard to keep Vic, even counteroffering with more $$$ than what Texas was offering him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Duke loses to Miami. Celeste scored 10 points in the first quarter. Then 6 more until late in the 4th quarter when she added a 3-pointer. Think she ended up with 19 points.

As the clock ticked down, they showed her on the bench in tears. Duke might be on the wrong side of the bubble come selection Monday . . .

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Even if Baylor blows out their quarter-final opponent, they only play 2 players off their short bench. So, they don't have the numbers to "rest" their starters like most teams.

But, yeah, whichever team could potentially face them in a championship game would be at an advantage in the third consecutive game in three days.

29. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I am admittedly naive with regard to the inner workings of athletic departments. Having said that I think Vic came here because he saw the opportunity to build a national champion. Also, Austin. His media opportunities are now back on campus so it sounds like he has the ear of the AD. And it appears that again his team is coming together at the right time. I think he's here for the long run.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  30. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Re: Vic

I gotta believe all of this was taken into account when a $7 million plus dollar contract was negotiated and signed. Gary Blair was 75 years old when Vic signed that contract. How could it not have been a consideration?

I certainly have no insider information, but I think Vic stays.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2