Thread to discuss teams and games not involving Texas in 2021-2022

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by racerx5908, Nov 15, 2021.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I do the same thing (switch back and forth from ESPN+ to TV). My Roku streaming device makes it very simple however.

2. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I feel your pain. Same here. I honestly thought they used to air games on both SEC channels simultaneously. Its probably ESPN steering this ship.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  3. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

This is frustrating. LSU, a football school, had 6000+ at a Women's basketball game. UT, with the (then) #9 team in the nation got what looked like <2000? Sheesh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Wonder if Vic would be willing to wear a silver shiny jacket to help with attendance?

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

As someone pointed out earlier, take at gander at LSU’s home games compared to Texas. And we all know Vic wants top competition for his team because he’s well aware it’s good for attendance and good for his team’s progress. He’s not shied away from tough road games

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Okie State beats tech 57-55 at Lubbock. Tech was down 10 at half time and 9 going into the 4th. Vivian Gray had 0 points in the first half. Tech’s strategy in Q4 was feed Vivian Gray. Again, again and again. Tech got within 2 but okie state responded. It ended on a blocked shot by okie state under their basket to give them the win. Sad we looked so terrible against tech! :deadhorse:

• Like Like x 2
  7. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

For anyone who may have missed watching our game against Tech, let the result of this OSU/Tech game be an indicator of just how SH!TTY we played Wednesday night.
    :soapbox:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Let it be an indicator of just how much Tech played out of their minds too. They won't duplicate that level of performance again this season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Wow just flipped over to the Duke @ Syracuse game just as Celeste Taylor was being taken off the court and to the locker room. She took a REALLY hard hit to her left shoulder at the mid court line as she and a Syracuse player were going for the ball.
    Hopefully she’ll be ok. The announcers were assuming Celeste has family there since they are so close to her hometown.

• Like Like x 2
  10. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Precious Johnson finally cleared to play yesterday just entered the game for Auburn against LSU late 1st Qtr

• Like Like x 5
  11. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Other Big 12 games scheduled for tonight and tomorrow:

Tonight #9 Iowa State travels to#25 KSU. Game is @ 6:30 ESPN+

Wednesday:
    #14 BU takes on #23 OU in Norman. (This is Baylor's first game since losing to KSU)
    Tech travels to West Virginia
    OSU hosts TCU

• Like Like x 1
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Baylor @ OU will be aired at 6:00 PM Central on Bally Sports (formerly FSN).

• Like Like x 3
  13. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Iowa State beats k-state 73-70. K-state led the whole game until the last minute of the game. Bill Fennelly does more with less but his players all fit his style of play! Ashley Joens had 27 pts for Iowa state and Ayoka Lee had 32 pts and 11 rebounds for k-state. A great game by two very disciplined teams! Texas will have a tough time beating either of these teams!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  14. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Agreed. Bill Fennelly and Jeff Mittie are both super good coaches.

• Like Like x 1
  15. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

K-State had that one until the silly turnovers at the very end of the game. Both teams are very well-coached and both executed well. I really enjoyed watching that game, especially Lee as we don't see a whole lot of great old-school post play anymore. I kept thinking while watching how much better they looked than we have over the past several games, but wondered if the K-State guards would be able to get the ball into Lee so routinely with pressure defense under their chins. Whatever the case, I agree both teams are going to be very tough outs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sangre Naranjada

Our defense against Lee will be most effective if we hyper-focus on denying her the ball in the first place. Once she gets it I doubt anybody on our squad will be able to stop her with any regularity.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. LutherIsMyDog

Agree. Iowa State slowed Lee down (a little) with the double team in the 2nd half. We also need to play fast and make Lee uncomfortable running up/down the court as she is typically one of the last players down the court. Easier said than done.

When she's not playing Texas, I love watching Joens from Iowa State. She's mature and seldom gets flustered when her shot isn't falling. Although ISU kept it within 10 points throughout the game, I thought KSU was in control the majority of the game. ISU kept their composure hit critical three's in the 4Q.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Oklahoma is beating Baylor! Perhaps Baylor was about Mulkey after all.:rolleyes1:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  19. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

OU defeats Baylor 83-77.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Baylor is finding out they really didn't have a great program... they had a great coach. Like her or not KM is one of the best. She's not my type of coach, but I give her credit where it's due.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Sangre Naranjada

Given Baylor's fall from grace and the rapid rise of LSU I don't think you could reach any other conclusion.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I was wondering why so many Baylor fans were acting as if Collen was on par with Mulkey. She was, at best, a mediocre WNBA head coach and has been out of the college coaching ranks for 7 years where she was a career assistant.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. LutherIsMyDog

Baylor's losses would be a lot more enjoyable if we would have beaten Tech and Kansas. I've long waited for the tide to turn, and I thought we would be leading the conference when Baylor's dominance came to an end. There are several teams in the Big 12 that will be fighting for the lead position, and we've dug ourselves a hole in the contest for Big 12 champs. From a fan's perspective, the Big 12 is highly entertaining and competitive so it's fun to watch the teams battle each other. Any team can win depending upon the night.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Virginia Tech at Duke with Celeste Taylor out of this game on the bench with her arm in a sling for that left shoulder injury. So far they haven’t said how many games she’s projected to miss. Sure do miss her defense and offensive game

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I wish I had seen the whole interview with Mulkey after LSU just eeked out an OT win over Missouri but I think I flipped over at the most interesting part. She was saying she hates to even say the word and then she purposely stuttered the word Zone. Said her bigs were not fast enough to stop the 3-point barrage or off the dribble so she was forced to run a 3/2 Zone of which she said they have never practiced but that she was lucky to have a bunch of Seniors that were able to do what she told them to do and it worked for them. I wish I knew more details of what was going on and what personnel was available. It was fascinating to hear because she also loathes a zone but had to resort to it on the fly. Say what you will about her (and I absolutely cannot stand her) but kudos for making THAT kind of adjustment during a game. I was looking for Rod Serling to pop into the screen

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  26. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Texas Tech took down Kansas State today in Lubbock by 19. Interesting that the commentators were very complimentary of Gerlich and her staff on their abilities to teach the game. Most notably to me was that they praised them for the vatiety of defenses they teach and use for different game plans and situations.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  27. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Did you see the game? How did they handle Ayoka?

28. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Tech just made it very hard for KSU to run their offense. Speed/Quickness was a factor. Some no calls on what I thought were obvious fouls by Tech post Taylah Thomas.

• Like Like x 1
  29. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

They fronted her.

• Like Like x 1
  30. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

That’s what call snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. KS had a 4 point lead over Baylor with 24 seconds to go. A 3, a turnover, a foul and Baylor wins by 1.

• Dislike Dislike x 4