three in first round

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by caryhorn, Jun 23, 2011.

1. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Has this ever happened when UT had three players picked in the first round? If so who and when?

2. Branyon

Branyon 500+ Posts

Not in basketball.

3. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

4. addicted to Horn

addicted to Horn 1,000+ Posts

5. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

I'm so proud.

Stop recruiting these guys, they don't help us.

Think about it this way, 3 first rounders, didn't win conference and didn't even make the round of 16.

Give me the Johnsons and the James any day.

6. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I want RB to recruit the best players he can. But you have to wonder how three first rounders, with Johnson and the guys we had at the other guard spot couldn't get us two wins in the March tourney.

7. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

When a ref cant count to five, good teams get shafted.

That said looks like all three made the right decision and good luck to them. [​IMG]

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Very nice showing for Barnes' program.

Congrats to our guys!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

From a player's perspective, this was definitely a good year to enter a relatively weak draft.

Very happy for the guys, but sorry to see Hamilton fall. He could be the most prepared of all three to contribute immediately at the next level.

10. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

11. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

First, these guys DID help us. Can you imagine what this last season would have looked like without them?

Second, the "underperformance" of the team last year is old news now, but this draft is a nice feather in our cap going forward. Even though it's a frustrating or unpleasant aspect of college basketball, going after the best guys is still the only reasonable way to go forward into the future. Our guys getting highly drafted and going on to good and great NBA careers is an incremental step in building our program long-term.

So, I say, congratulations. [​IMG]

12. busterbrown16

busterbrown16 1,000+ Posts

So, it is a feather in our cap to have 3 guys drafted in the 1st round with a team that lost in the 2nd round of the tournament?

So, this is supposed to attract more talent that will come use our program for a year and get their teams ousted in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament each year?

Count me as unimpressed. I would rather have other feathers.

13. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin 25+ Posts

Could not care less. Had little to no emotional investment. Particularly with players that leave after the first year. Durant may be the exception. This really kills college b-ball in my opinion. We seem to get players that leave after one year or players that eat a roster spot for years.

14. Dirty Martin

Dirty Martin 500+ Posts

While I'm as disappointed as anyone in our early exit from the tourney, let's not overlook the fact that the NBA drafts on potential, not current productivity.

None of those 3 are NBA ready. Hamilton is the closest but as we all saw he has definite flaws in his game. Tristan has a ton of raw skills but disappeared at times down the stretch (Arizona, for instance). Corey? Well I don't think any of us thought he was NBA ready, and certainly not first-round material. For that matter neither did most scouts and draft analysts.

Being drafted high doesn't necessarily mean that you were a great college player or had a great year.

I'm really happy for all these guys. Clearly they made the right decision.

15. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

I agree that the NBA drafts on potential. Other than Durant what Longhorn from the Barnes era has been a starter in the league for two years?

Most have been ordinary to poor.

16. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

LaMarcus Aldridge comes to mind.

17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thompson and Hamilton I can see, but for Joseph to go in the first round is unbelievable. I don't know what it says to have three first rounders that played on a team that folded at the end of the season.If the choice is this or middle of the pack Big XII - II, I guess this is better, but being competitive at the end of the season would be nice.

18. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

19. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

20. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

When your season ends up being better than most people predicted it to be, that's not underachieving, even if you didn't perform as well at the end of the season as you did at the beginning.