'Three Little Pigs' ruled offensive to Muslims

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by ctrl+alt+del, Jan 26, 2008.

1. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

The Link

Huh? I agree with one of the comments: If it's offensive to Muslims why is it not offensive to Jews?

2. whickums

whickums 250+ Posts

I don't get why it's offensive at all [​IMG]

3. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

4. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

No where in the article is it found that a Muslim states that the book is offensive.

At first, the judges' ruling appeared to me to be PC run amok, but we get in the last paragraph that part of the criteria was that the book should incorporate "inclusive and accessible designs." There is a huge gap between a book which offends a group of people and a book that a group of people might not care to read. Personally, I do think the panel was a bit off on their assumptions...I'll ask my resident Muslim expert later today what she thinks.

The publisher seems to have an agenda to get back at the panel for not selecting the book, and the writer of the article seems to have an agenda to stir up ill feelings toward Muslims.

5. theropods

theropods 250+ Posts

This will do wonders for my Four Tiny Cows series.

6. theropods

theropods 250+ Posts

Crap, just realized that that will offend Hindus. Can't use buffalo because that will offend Native Americans. Do you think Canadians would be offended if I used Moose? Otherwise I am looking into the possibility of a Five Miniscule Tapirs story. This may be offensive to South American Rain Forest Indians, but they probably can't access the interwebs.

7. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

8. wolfman

wolfman 1,000+ Posts

I think that Frosty the Snowman should be banned because it may be offensive to Eskimos.

9. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

Have the jokers made any rulings on:

Charlotte's Web?
    Animal Farm?
    Babe?

10. Bookman

Bookman 1,000+ Posts

11. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

I don't think I want to live on this planet anymore.

12. SINCE73

SINCE73 250+ Posts

People who cry about stuff like this need to be rounded up in a group & have a bunch of rednecks whip on them to see just how offended they really are about stuff like this.

13. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

Osama Bin-Wolfen

14. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

15. SINCE73

SINCE73 250+ Posts

16. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

Woland is correct; not one of you actually read the article, or even one paragraph of the article, let alone exercised even the tiniest bit of critical thought when confronted with the original post.

You deserve what you get.

17. theropods

theropods 250+ Posts

I read it and thought it was assine. Muslims and Jews don't eat pork. Last time I checked, it wasn't against the Torah or the Koran to have them building houses that Muslims and Jews won't live in. Plus this story is only based on the Three Little Pigs story and is actually called Three Little Cowboy Builders. The board that rejected it claimed it had all sorts of other faults, but the PC ******** does appear to have played a role.

18. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

So I quizzed my Muslim "expert", who happens to be a 16 year old girl from a conservative gulf country. Her response was:

1. This is stupid.
    2. Just because Muslims don't eat pork doesn't mean they are offended by stories about pigs.
    3. Muslims don't eat humans either and Muslims like to read stories about people.
    4. This is really, really stupid.

19. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay 500+ Posts

20. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

21. HornsOverIthaca

HornsOverIthaca 250+ Posts

22. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

I liked the Belgian farting pig link.

23. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

Wooland, pmg, did you read the article?

24. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

The most amazing thing about the article is how everyone who reads it seems to discover a different subtext depending upon their preconceived notions of what the article should be about.

25. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

The most amazing thing about the article is how everyone who reads it seems to discover a different subtext depending upon their preconceived notions of what the article should be about.

Lol.

So this now replaces the blind men and the elephant story.

But what religious reason is there to prohibit pork? I mean, really. Bacon, ham, and sausage coming from the same animal? It's a miracle.