Ticket prices falling ... fast

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by Barton Hills, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Barton Hills

Barton Hills 1,000+ Posts

Last week ... $1K per.

Today ... tons on Craigslist for $800-900, no bites.

After 14,000 ship this week ... I'm guessing around $700 or so.

Those students trying to sell singles for $850 better get rid of theirs before pairs start hitting the market at the same price.

2. joebevo

joebevo 25+ Posts

An $800 post on craigslist lowered to $700 and still can't get a buyer. All the $1,000 post are going ignored or getting calls to sell for 600-650.

Tickets have gone from $1000 on monday to $700 or less in 3 days!!! Why does ticket city charge $150 or more for a service charge? per ticket!

3. Barton Hills

I'm glad nobody is paying those ridiculous prices ($900-$1K).

I got a pair for $1400, but there was zero effort on my end.

4. HornInWville

HornInWville 25+ Posts

Yeah it's becoming pretty obvious that only a few people will pay over $800, and with all of the LHF tickets being sent out right now, it should only go down.

I need 2 btw. [​IMG]

5. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Barton, finally people are coming to their senses v. people selling or scalping tickets. They know in the end they have the final say and force them to lower the price by waiting.

For 1k you can buy a nice tv, lots of beer and munchies for family and friends. 600 makes it less of a sting to go to the game and afford hotel and meals.

6. chitwood

chitwood 250+ Posts

not going to go down much farther I bet. Maybe on craigslist, but you have the risk premium built in on there that you're not getting counterfeits.

7. Hooked

Hooked 25+ Posts

I noticed earlier today that a ton of auctions, mostly by ticket brokers, were ending without a sale. I fully expect endzone seats to end up at the $500-600 range at the most.....perhaps lower. LOTS - and I mean literally THOUSANDS - of tickets are going to be sold on the open market.

8. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

I agree, there are a bunch of tix in 700 dollar range that were not to be seen before. Patience is a valuable virtue

9. joebevo

joebevo 25+ Posts

8,186 tickets on stubhub and growing. With foundation tickets this weekend, that number should grow. Even ticketcity is having a sale. Hmmm.

Also, people don't have $3,000 to spend in '09. In '05, everyone was doing well and credit was flowing. Money wasn't a big concern with the economy rolling. It's hard to put that much on credit these days.

On the other end, how great would it be to sale those extra tickets. Would make great xmas money and it's too costly to make the trip anyway! That would be like putting $3000 in your pocket!

10. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Hehe I may just get to go to this thing after all! [​IMG]

11. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

The panic will set in for those who cannot or won't go to LA to try to sell their tickets if they don't sell on Craigslist or elsewhere. They will feel the pressure approaching a reasonable time frame to mail them. There is always FedEx but they will have to find ways to prove their tickets are legit, etc... Too much in too little time. There should be another drop in a couple of weeks.

12. Barton Hills

Agree about the risk of fakes. That's why I was willing to pull the trigger at 700 per (when most were asking $1K) ... I know the guy who sold them to me very well.

Zero effort and peace of mind were worth spending that amount.

13. Hooked

Hooked 25+ Posts

It's always worth a bit of a premium to either deal with a highly rated ebay seller or somebody local so you can examine the tickets before you hand the cash over, but I can't see that premium being more than $50-75/ticket over the cheapest available. That's what a recall about the ticket prices through the auction process 4 years ago, as well.

14. joebevo

joebevo 25+ Posts

just noticed a ticket for $675 now on craigslist that was originally priced at $800 yesterday.

15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

16. HornInWville

HornInWville 25+ Posts

There are over 8,000 tickets available on stubhub. [​IMG]

17. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Is know the economy is down everywhere, but I wonder if Alabama's is especially down.
    This could be a reason for so many tickets still out there.
    Anybody know?

18. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

If each school only got 19,000 tickets, you do the math. there are a lot of seats held by speculators or locals who do not have a huge vested interest in attending the game.
    I am holding out, and unless the price comes down a lot more, I won't be going. But I think it will come down quite a bit more.

19. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

In the meantime, air options are disappearing and hotel rates are moving up quickly in the LA area (Hollywood especially). Those who made air/hotel reservations early on spec will be fine, of course, but those who are just now investigating options are in for a rude awakening.

20. 4Horns

4Horns 100+ Posts

Where are the "expect ticket prices 25-35% higher" investment gurus now? Probably staring at $1300 tickets. Congrats!! [​IMG]

21. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

Again --- At about this point in 2005, end-zone tickets were selling for $500.

Now until next week is the time to buy, IMO. I sure as hell would not wait any longer than that.

22. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

End zone tickets for the last Rose Bowl were never $500. Maybe a single in the top row. Tickets started high and stayed high for months.

I keep telling everyone ticket prices will be lower this time. I know I am right, the question is how right.

And with no local market, those guys are going to be eating tickets if they dont find buyers by next weekend. Half the damn tickets are out in California.

23. goosehorn

goosehorn 500+ Posts

Dude, no way. This is so awesome it is freaking me out hardcore. If I go to this game, we win... hands down. I am GL (good luck).

24. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

I sold 4 in the corner endzone for $2550 at auction on eBay a week after we received them from the foundation. So yes, they were cheaper.

Mine also sold higher than the current market value. Most were going for $550.

25. hornfan13

hornfan13 25+ Posts

Benson32... Just curious, what was your cost for Ebay and Paypal for selling your tickets for that price? Just trying to get an idea...

26. txgrad87

txgrad87 25+ Posts

In the high 600's and FALLING on Stubhub. MANY tickets coming up for sale. C'mon $550. I am holding out until Dec 30. [​IMG]

27. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

do not wait until you get out there to buy tickets. buy them now for the best price you can get.

28. 4Horns

4Horns 100+ Posts

This happened faster than I thought. The prices are down where I thought they would be next week. Sellers are nervous. About 1/3 of the ebay listings aren't receiving minimum bids.

29. ProdigyDub

ProdigyDub 500+ Posts

What do you suppose the demand is going to be like at the game? Would it be unreasonable to expect to get ~750 each ($1500 total) for a pair of two tickets on gameday? I'll have an extra pair out there, and I'm not even trying to make a profit, just want to recoup what I paid for them (especially if it's to a fellow Texas fan).

30. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

If you think you can get tickets for less than $500 by waiting, good luck. You are certainly not going to get anything decent for that price. And judging by past experience, you are dreaming if you think you are going to get a bargain by waiting. You are more likely to be sold counterfeit tickets. It is possible you might be able to buy tickets at a discount if you are willing to wait until after kickoff. I did that for the 2005 Rose Bowl against Michigan. (But I also had the tickets verified at the gate before I paid for them.) But then, this is a national championship game, not a standard Rose Bowl game.