Ticket prices falling ... fast

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by Barton Hills, Dec 16, 2009.

1. txgrad87

txgrad87 25+ Posts

santafe, which broker do you work for?

Different market, economy, teams than in 2005. Will see $500's soon enough on ebay and stubhub. Tickets there are guaranteed, so no worries on that front. We shall see. I just like the sport of it.....If it goes the other way, will not be the first time I was wrong. Just ask my stockbroker.. [​IMG]

2. Bonafide

Bonafide 100+ Posts

At the Michigan Rose Bowl, my girlfriend at the time showed up 5 minutes before kickoff and got a ticket for 10 bucks.

3. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

at the Michigan game, i had four extra tickets i could not GIVE away, i being 100% serious. i tried to give them away and no one would take them. for the USC game, i got very very lucky and found 2 tickets from a broker outside the stadium for $1200 each. i traveled there with about 50 people in our group (not all together but we met there). about 25 had tickets already and 25 of us did not. i was the only one that got tickets and it is because i stood in the same spot for about four hours at an intersection near the stadium where the cops were letting people drive up and drop of passengers and then leave. i'm telling you, do NOT wait to buy tickets there. the prices may stay low for a while but the prices are only going to go up.

4. ProdigyDub

ProdigyDub 500+ Posts

5. Bonafide

Bonafide 100+ Posts

Wasn't trying to compare this year to that year. I was just adding to santafe's post. She didn't have to wait til after kickoff.
    I believe there will be plenty of tickets to be had at the gate. Now, am I willing to wait and take the chance? No way.

6. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

Yes, I can verify that I also was able to purchase two tickets to the UT/Michigan Rose Bowl game at kickoff at a ridiculously low price.

But I also do not believe for one minute you will be able to buy a ticket to this year's BCS national championship game at anything close to a bargain price. Forget about it.

7. txgrad87

txgrad87 25+ Posts

santafe, how do you define a bargain?

Certainly, noone thinks this is Michigan rose bowl prices...but..

This is not 2005 USC prices either,

Me thinks you can get in the house for under $500. $700 for good seats....$1000 for great seats.

Capitalism rocks....

8. overmaars

overmaars 1,000+ Posts

9. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

txgrad; i seriously would not bet on that. i think the tix are going to be hard to get there. no, i'm not a scalper, but an alum who has been forturnate enough to travel a lot of venues for a lot of sporting and musical events. i have friends who moved from Texas to Alabama and there a lot of people from Alabama who are making the trip.

10. danthehorn

danthehorn 250+ Posts

I had a counter offer for $550.00 yesterday. I stuck to my guns at $500.00. In the end I did not get the ticket but that is where the market is right now. Once the student market dries up I think it will go back up slightly. I already have a ticket at face from ticketmaster (one of the lucky ones) and was looking to buy one as a gift.

11. Whiterock Horn

Whiterock Horn 1,000+ Posts

Got 4 @ $550 each over the weekend. I'm wondering where the bottom is. Maybe this is it.

12. coryomfs

coryomfs 25+ Posts

I am still looking for that deal.

13. Pericles

Pericles 1,000+ Posts

Like StubHub, with RazorGator (the outfit that does the Fan2Fan Ticket Exchange) the seller pays 15% and the buyer pays 10%:

The Link

If the seller increases his price to include the 15% fee, then the total fees are 26.5% of the ticket price (do the math). That is an amazing premium to pay, IMO.

Instead, go to Craigslist and see if you can find people who live in your area who have tickets you want. No fees at all, and you can deal face to face with them for the exchange.

Or failing that, find a 100% positive feedback seller with at least a year's worth of history on eBay and buy tickets through him/her.

Use your credit card, not your bank account to pay through Paypal on eBay. And buy soon enough so that the seller has ample time to ship the tickets to you. Give yourself a few days margin, just in case.

Or a poor third, find a reputable broker in your area (not one like the one mentioned that charges an outrageous 22% fee), and buy your tickets from them.

I would NEVER buy tickets through StubHub or RazorGator.

14. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

How low is a bargain? Well, the face value for the 2010 BCS National Championship game is $275 per ticket. Because this is a national championship game in the ROSE BOWL, that's the floor price, but I don't see that happening in this game. So a bargain for end zone tickets would be at least $400-$500.

You think I'm crazy? Watch the price rise for the good seats as the game nears and the hysteria mounts.

15. Pulpwood Horn

Pulpwood Horn 25+ Posts

I wouldn't mind finding that deal, either.

16. ProdigyDub

ProdigyDub 500+ Posts

17. theredbarron

theredbarron 25+ Posts

Santafe -

I don't know who you're working for, but $500 for a football game ticket is still an astronomical price to most people in the real world. I don't expect ticket prices to reach face value, but this is not 2006. We are not 35 years removed from a championship, and we are not playing "the greatest team of all time" 20 miles from their home stadium. Alabama has a loyal fan base: but they do not have the resources to afford $1000/ticket, and a little research on ebay will show you that seats in their section are going for consistently less than tickets in the Texas section. Once again, they are not USC.

There are 7700 tickets listed on StubHub alone: this is virtually identical to the number of tickets listed one week ago, when the average startring price was $200 higher. Until that inventory starts going down, prices aren't going up. Let the scalpers sweat a few more days - I will not feel the least bit sorry for profiteers to make a little less profit.

18. ProdigyDub

ProdigyDub 500+ Posts

19. theredbarron

theredbarron 25+ Posts

Yes, the majority of tickets are listed in multiple places - but there's a hell of a lot of places to trade tickets out there. 40k tickets went to the 2 universities - less than half. Maybe half of the tickets out there are in the hands of legitimate fans right now. How many Cali residents that got tickets in 2006 care as much about the game in 2010?

$500 for a nosebleed ticket is not a bargain, especially when you add in the travel expenses - in fact it's almost insulting to the average fan. Obviously, there's plenty of people who will pay it - but obviously, there's not that many people willing to pay much more than that, given the 25% drop in ticket prices in 5 days. Spin it.

20. ProdigyDub

ProdigyDub 500+ Posts

I understand that it's pricey. I'm not saying it isn't. I'm not even saying it's fair. But I am saying that you are incredibly unlikely to get a ticket for less than $500, and if you do, itll probably be like $450 or something--not monumentally less.

This is probably the valley of the ticket prices right now. Maybe they go down a bit more, but people predicting that they will continue to go down like this are in for a rude awakening. The demand at the game may not be as high as 2006, but it will certainly be higher than it is right now.

21. 4Horns

4Horns 100+ Posts

I also think $500 is probably the floor. There might be a few exceptions out there, but the market has already dropped significantly. Now is the time, if you don't have tickets, to find the ideal offer. There are no doubt enough late buyers to give the market a little bump as Jan 7 nears.

22. theredbarron

theredbarron 25+ Posts

I'd agree that $500 would probably be the floor, if only for psychological reasons. But ticket prices haven't bottomed yet - and they're not going to bottom out until the inventory starts dropping.

23. 4Horns

4Horns 100+ Posts

I hope you're right. Good luck with your hunting. [​IMG]

24. txgrad87

txgrad87 25+ Posts

redbarron:

the brokers incognito on this site (santafe, etc.) just trying to pump their product. Just like a day trader on a stock board. In the end the market will adjust to what is is and I think we continue to go lower. I could certainly be wrong. Supply/Demand: Simple as that. We shall see. C'mon 480!

25. White Castle

White Castle 100+ Posts

26. 4Horns

4Horns 100+ Posts

Four on ebay in Sec 6 just went off the board without a single bid. Seller's starting number was $5000. So 30 yd line seats drew no interest at $1250 a ticket. Wow

27. overmaars

overmaars 1,000+ Posts

28. TheContractor

TheContractor 250+ Posts

I know there are fake tix out there, so buying online makes me nervous. Dont want to spend half the tix cost on fees from stubhub and tixmaster. Is ebay or craigslist a good option? I know craigslist has had fake tix in past.
    Thanks for the replies!

29. ShatyUT

ShatyUT 100+ Posts

30. JohnnyYuma

JohnnyYuma 500+ Posts

Shaty..I believe the face value of the ticket is $275 and the agreement with the BCS limited the price to $200 on the tickets allotted to the schools.