Tiffany Jackson Steps Down as Assistant Coach

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Aug 1, 2019.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

2. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Interesting on the timing. The other thread pointed out the job opening recently discovered and then Tiffany steps down. Obviously, Karen already has a coach in mind and has probably been in talks over the summer. I wonder how this affects recruiting, if at all?

3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

If it's the job opening I found earlier - that was the video coordinator position that Kelby Jones was promoted out of. Was there another?

4. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

First departure from the program of an assistant coach other than to become a head coach. That is pretty remarkable. Most coaching staffs have some turnover.

The job description and candidate requirements appear vague to me. A LOT of people could fit themselves into that box. I thought when I read the description earlier that the job appeared aimed at a more junior or entry level coach. The job asks for elite level competition experience but I saw no mention of previous coaching experience?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Wouldn't you know it...I stopped checking the postings after the video coordinator posting was removed - this was posted 3 days ago:

Job Posting Title:
    Assistant Coach, Women's Basketball
    ----
    Earliest Start Date:
    Aug 12, 2019
    ----
    Job Description:
    To assist the Head Coach in the leadership and management of the women's basketball program and to achieve successful outcomes, including: recruiting elite student-athletes, training and coaching with the goal of contending for national and conference championships.
    ----

Job Details:
    General Notes
    This position may be required to work non-traditional hours, including early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays. Travel required.

Responsibilities
    • Assist the Head Coach in recruiting, training, motivating and developing elite student-athletes in the sport of basketball. Proactively promote the academic, personal and social development of student-athletes. Recruit and coach with the objective of attaining the highest possible outcomes in NCAA competition while maintaining integrity of the program.

• Assist the Head Coach in the design of a competitive schedule to maximize team and individual player development and performance. Assist the Head Coach in leading and managing administration, logistics, support staff and business functions, including budgeting of the women's basketball program.

• Employ high professional standards, ethical behaviors and adherence to UT Athletics, University, Big 12 Conference, and NCAA rules. Provide high profile and positive public relations and communication with a wide variety of institutional and sport constituencies, including basketball professionals and coaches at all levels (club, high school), alumni, letter winners, media, students, student families, fans, Texas Athletics colleagues and others.

• Drive a UT or rental vehicle on and off campus.

• Your position may be designated as a Responsible Employee, pursuant to Title IX and University policy. Responsible Employees have a duty to promptly report incidents of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual misconduct, interpersonal violence, and stalking to the University Title IX Coordinator or Deputy Title IX Coordinators. Responsible Employees are not confidential reporting resources. You may find more information and resources about Title IX and your responsibilities online at Mandatory Reporters (Responsible Employees) | Title IX Office | The University of Texas at Austin.

• Other related functions as assigned.
    Required Qualifications
    Bachelor's Degree. Minimum four years combined experience competing at the elite level. Excellent interpersonal and communications skills; ability to project the image of Texas Athletics with dignity and grace regardless of circumstances and environments; ability to demonstrate competence in the Texas Athletics Core Values: Integrity, Excellence, Teamwork, Diversity, Creativity, Accountability and Loyalty. Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.

6. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

If you think about it, George Washington, Tina Thompson, and Tiffany Jackson had very junior level (or none in the case of Tiffany) of experience when they were hired.

My wife used to work at UT in non-sports area. They know who they want to hire when they place these postings, but legally they have to put it out there. Once, they wanted to hire this manager and they told him to wait until 11:50 pm for the posting and then apply on that link. They were going to pull it at midnight so the window of applicants would be small. But still in that 10 minute window, they had a bunch of applications come through. And legally, they had to read through the resumes before settling on the guy they already agreed to terms with.

The moment someone brought up the job posting, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop (Tiffany's announcement)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Job posting is no longer online.

• Like Like x 1