Tim Tebow in pro-life ad during Super Bowl

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Wild Bill, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

Link
    Personally, I don't waste a lot of energy on this issue, but what the Hell is Tebow doing? Doesn't he need to be working on his football skills, especially his throwing motion? This will put him smack in the middle of a major controversy. I don't get it. [​IMG]

2. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

In reply to:

3. TexasRx

TexasRx 500+ Posts

Only if Jeebus loses his virginity and gets someone pregnant will his opinion on abortion matter to anyone... and that would just be the poor girl he knocked up.

4. UTPhil2006

UTPhil2006 25+ Posts

I thought they said CBS pulled this ad?

5. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

CBS pulled the ad on a gay dating site- not this one. You know- CBS just proving its right wing creds this year.. [​IMG]

6. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

7. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts

He should use the time to also come out of the closet, that way he could please the left and the right. [​IMG]

8. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Quite frankly I believe it has a great deal to do with how ads are done.

A recent poll commissioned by the Knights of Columbus found that 56% of Americans believe abortion is morally wrong, 58% of those aged 18-29. (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/60293)

That would be Tebow's age group and much of his 'audience.' I believe it is a powerful message for he and his mom to tell his story and about how life was a good choice for them. I believe that is a positive appropriate message. If there were an ad that said OVER TURN ROE V. WADE NOW... and showed aborted fetuses, I believe that ad should be rejected. That is inappropriate for CBS or any other network to show. I would actually find such offensive, and I am about as pro life as you find on WM.

Also, while a bit of a separate issue, I looked more into why CBS rejected the gay dating site ad. Evidently, it was 2 men who's hands brush in a snack bowl (potato chips or such) and they look into each other's eyes and start making out. I don't care if it is girl/girl, guy/guy or guy/girl making out on tv in an ad. I would find that inappropriate as well for network tv.

It does matter not JUST the message, but the way in which the message is conveyed. I think a gay dating website should be allowed to show an ad during the superbowl, if it were done where people talk about meeting a guy who is like them, and how they found love etc....

9. ProdigalHorn

Sally Jenkins, a pro-choice sportswriter, actually gets it:The Link
    In reply to:

10. MTF

MTF 1,000+ Posts

I'm pro-choice and have no problem with Tebow doing this. In fact, if he feels as strongly as he seems to that abortion is morally wrong, I can see how it would be hard to pass up the opportunity to use his fame, while at its height, to push this serious message.

That being said, I generally don't have a problem with celebrities using their fame to push a political agenda, whether I agree with it or not. I'd imagine that many who normally complain about such things are totally on board with Tebow's commercial.

11. ProdigalHorn

12. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

13. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

14. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

I don't want to have to explain this to my kids while trying to watch a friggin' football game.

Or at least this the would be excuse from the right if it was for an ad professing something they didn't support, be it a gay dating commercial or a nipple slip or some other really "scary" thing.

What do i tell my children?

15. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Roma,
    I agree with your comment, which is why I said what I said with regards to Tebow. My understanding is that the commercial he is in is about what was a great choice for his family. Choosing life is what a majority of Americans believe in per the polls. It seems that Tebow is in a commercial saying ban abortion, but saying choose life....

I think that link from the Wash Post is a very well written argument, and I agree with you Roma about the NRA... Why not REQUIRE a trigger lock be added to every gun purchase made in the US.... It would add no more than $5 to $10 bucks to each gun and is worth it!

16. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

He has the right to voice his opinion and appear in a political ad if he chooses. The group sponsoring the ad is a gay-hating bunch of zealots, though, so I don't why Tebow would want to ally himself with them. I support his right to make a choice just like I support women's rights to same.

17. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

18. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Yo,
    I haven't seen the ad, but the theme is being reported as 'Celebrate Family. Celebrate Life.' It seems that the message is what a beautiful choice life is.
    If you are familiar with Hope Pregnancy they are not a group that advocates directly for some legal change in law, but rather to support young women and help them to choose life.
    How much would this be a non political issue if we as a nation and individuals so supported pregnant women that no one ever felt they even needed to have an abortion? That seems much more better (yes I meant to say that) than overturning Roe v. Wade. I actually, think that many Americans could get much more behind that than any type of laws with regards to abortion.

19. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

20. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Yo,
    this is where we might disagree. I believe that abortion is primarily a moral issue, not a political or legal one. I do not support a woman killing her baby. I say it that way here explicitly to highlight my moral position. I do believe in supporting women recovering from that decision.
    I mean emotionally and monetarily and spiritually when I say we should support women who are pregnant. We should also support them medically.
    I agree with you on guns, as far as gun violence goes. I don't think all uses of guns is immoral so that is where the analogy breaks down for me.

21. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

22. Burnt Orange Bevo

Burnt Orange Bevo 1,000+ Posts

I'm a mild fan at best of Tebow as the college QB, but definitely respect him for being willing to do an ad (that takes advantage of his popularity) and taking a stand on an issue that is historically significant (certainly in his case) and morally important to him. As long as the ad is done tastefully, I commend Tebow for stepping up.