Time to arm

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by mojo17, Sep 27, 2014.

1. mojo17

mojo17 1,000+ Posts

Is it time to get a gun or is the Islamist threat overblown? I would hate to think a member of my family or a friend was slaughtered by some crazed lunatic and I did nothing to protect them.

2. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

You can't live your life in fear but you can pay more attention to your surroundings.

During WWI check this out: The Link

The German speaking pastor of my Grandfather was tarred/feathered causing his death. After that they changed the name of the town from Berlin to Otoe. The Link Changed his last name from Muellar to Miller. They were proud Americans but still of German heritage. People overreact which causes the people of the target group to alter their behavior.

Again, I hope the Muslims in this country don't turn into idiots who start murdering more innocents.

3. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

No offense, but your fear is irrational. There are about 1000 things you are more likely to die from if you live in the US. Worry about those first.

4. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

If you smoke, text or use a cell phone while driving, skip recommended colonoscopies, flirt with married women ... worrying about crazy Islamists is not a productive use of worrying resources..

5. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

I think you should arm it up and set up 24 hour/day sentry duty at your house....

6. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Chango's story checks out. I vetted it. You want something with real power and you also want to learn how to make your own rounds. You will save money in the long run.

7. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I think home defense is absolutely necessary these days for lots of reasons. Once the door leading to my garage popped open at 2AM for some reason, setting off the security alarm. I got up and looked downstrairs and saw door open. I locked bedroom door and called sherriff's office. It took over 45 minutes for them to show up. The deputy who came told me that I was the 7th false alarm they'd been to that night. But, if that had been a real intrusion of some kind, I'd have been screwed.

Now, I'll still call the sherriff, but I have taken steps to protect my home, if necessary.

8. Larry T. Spider

I know this is a small part of your post to pick at but "these days" the murder rate is about half of what it was in 1990. We have gone from 9.4 to 4.7 in that time period and it is still declining. Still not a bad idea to have protection if you know law enforcement wont show up for damn near an hour.

9. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

If you can use a gun properly and are comfortable doing so I applaud you for having them available to protect your homes.

Stupidly handled, your own weapons are more dangerous to your family than the highly unlikely ... at least where I live ... prospect of maliciously-intentioned folks breaking into your home.

So if you buy weapons and weren't previously properly trained in their use, plan to take a good firearms safety course, do some additional supervised weapons handling and be prepared to periodically practice your skills. Have a plan for how to use your weapons if you need them.

10. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

11. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

No, I personally don't not think the threat to Americans from small groups or lone wolf radical Islamic terrorists on US soil is overblown. Some of you may need to use your imagination a little more about the potential extent of this threat and what ISIS is doing to take this worldwide. Re: firearms, my family is and has been well armed - we are prepared to protect each other, our home and neighbors if need be.

12. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

I saw a Muslim at HEB today and he looked kind of suspicious. I have my CHL and was tempted to launch a preemptive strike against him. Should I have?

13. Larry T. Spider

Could some but inspired by isis blow me up with a car bomb? Sure. Will worrying about that help me? Will arming myself help me? The number/types/likelihood of terrorist attacks that a gun could help me with is minimal. I'm much more likely to be attacked or have my home broken into by somebody not related to isis. Y'all watch too much tv.

14. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

So now we are profiling people, lol!!!