Time to scare the old folks

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by NEWDOC2002, Jul 12, 2011.

1. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

How does anyone not see through this bull???

A play right out of the ol political play book. IMO, he's jumped the shark.

CBS News Link

2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

What a ******* crock of ****. Lying bastard ought to be impeached for that type of obscene demagoguery.

3. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

per usual

"teachers, police and firefighters"

4. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

It's the Chicago way.

5. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

6. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

If SS checks do not go out it will mean Obama made the decision to stop sending them.
    I hope media makes this point as they report what Obama said

7. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

i thought for sure after reading the thread title it was going to be about "death panels". [​IMG]

8. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

I hope media makes this point as they report what Obama said

They won't. They want to scare the folks as well since they are on his side. It is a flat out lie by obama. Basically, what he is saying is the government stole the money from the trust that these old people paid into. not that it wasnt a poorly held secret anyway. at least now its out in the open. perhaps the old folks will storm the WH in their wheel chairs. this probably wont happen either since the media will tell them its the republicans fault.

9. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

10. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

yes the SS fund was raided BUT there is enough revenue coming in every month to pay our debt obligations AND pay SS.
    So if it doesn't get paid Obama had to make the decision to withhold the funds

Obama is the lowest form of scum to scare our elderly by saying this.
    Is there anyone on the board who will support Obama threatening old people?

11. bronco

bronco Guest

Maybe this is what BI and Johnny were referring to about leadership.

12. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

13. Gone To Texas

Gone To Texas 500+ Posts

I'm no fan of Obama's policies or politics, but it's not entirely false to say that Social Security checks will be in jeopardy.

The feds take in about $180 billion in revenues each month. Of that, they have to pay the following:

Debt obligations $35 billion
    Social Security $70 billion
    HHS (Medicare/Medicaid) $75 billion

That's it. That adds up to $180 billion. There's nothing left for even the essential constitutional functions of government (defense, courts, veterans, foreign relations) to say nothing of the other stuff that contractors and corporations depend on (farm subsidies, highway spending, education grants) and other fun stuff (NASA, weather service, and on and on).

It's easy to play politics with Social Security (and Medicare) because tens of million of people depend directly on those checks and services. But it would be more accurate for Obama to point out all of those other things we'd have to do without, such as a military.

What I object to is his style and tone. It's very negative and even snarky, and to me it reflects his belief that making real and serious cuts is bad policy. Meanwhile the Republicans are in denial about how much cutting really needs to be made to put us on a course to fiscal sanity. They'd like to pretend we can balance the budget without affecting Medicare or Social Security but if you just look at the plain numbers above that is a FANTASY.

What I want is a proactive president and Congress who agree to start by making cuts across the board, including cuts to SS and Medicare, rather than having one side tell us that the Republicans want grandma to starve and other side tell us try to delude us into believing that we can balance the budget without touching entitlements or defense.

The Link

14. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I only want other people's grandmas to starve. [​IMG]

15. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

16. bronco

bronco Guest

17. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

18. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

GTT

Well looking at your numbers makes it seem more critical than many thought.
    Can you explain where you got your numbers. I can't go through your chart.

The numbers I have seen most frequently is our debt obligation is 20 billion a month and we take in nearly over 190 billion.
    I went to TreasuryDirect.com
    but perhaps I am reading it wrong.
    So if you can point out where you got your numbers it might clear things up

One interesting link at the TreasuryDirect site is this one
    "Read about how to make a contribution to reduce the debt."

Wonder if we need to send that link to Obama who yesterday said he had hundreds of thousands more than he needed. [​IMG]

19. Gone To Texas

Gone To Texas 500+ Posts

Horn

If you go to page 5 of the link at the bottom of my post, it shows the latest monthly report from the Treasury on receipts and outlays (May 2011) for each Department of the federal government. "Interest on Treasury Debt Securities" has a line of its own and it was about 31 billion in May. Treasury's estimate for the total amount for the current fiscal year is 430 billion, which is almost $36 billion per month. And with interest rates as low as they are, that number has nowhere to go but up. The cost to run the Treasury Dept. is called out separately and that comes to about $100 billion this year.

20. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Obama claiming this when the trust that is to pay SSI is to be separate from the general budget... WOW... just WOW... this is just going to be what Obama wants to do. and the political pundits who are claiming Obama has done a good job? Seriously?

This is getting bad, but I still believe worse is what Obama wants. The worse it gets the more plausible it is when he draws more and more power to himself out of 'necessity.'

21. bronco

bronco Guest

22. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

Edit: bronco - great post. completely agree. obviously the current system isn't working, so let's try something different. if that doesn't work we will try something else. that's what is great about this country - if things aren't working we get to change them...and that doesn't just mean the players, it means the rules of the game.

23. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

24. BrothaHorn

BrothaHorn 1,000+ Posts

Politics of fear..surprised it took this long.

25. Texas007

Texas007 1,000+ Posts

26. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

27. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

JohnnyM,
    The current system would work, if we followed it. Our mass of laws & rules & programs which go far beyond the enumerated powers of the US Constitution ARE the problem. Follow the true system & things work. Obama has shown nothing but contempt & desires to not follow the US Constitution. His oath of office is to uphold the US Constitution. It is the basis for our covenant of a government. Negate it & the country is negated. Obama is an enemy of the United States & should be dealt with accordingly. Try the man for treason. He does not hold office legally.

28. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

29. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Yo,
    I can help you out a bit. Find a post of me speaking that way about Pelosi, Clinton (either of them) or any Democrat. You wony find it. You will find me talk about all politicians in generally the same ligt. They are all well intentioned yet flawed people limited by the need to be elected & pay back those who got them into power.
    The only exception to that is Obama. So let me explain myself in a way I think you will understand. Not all on here will get what I mean, but I actually think you will.

1) It started with Obama's response to his Senatorial debates with Allen Keyes. I respect Keyes and find him the politician with the most cogent, internally consistent arguments in America. He know what he believes, will govern that way, & talks that way. Obama was asked about his Christian faith & was unable to articulate the most basic beliefs of Christianity or answer how he reconciled his political positions with his faith. He very clearly was unable. I believe these debates are still up on youtube.

2) I have been friends with a man who worked in the Clinton WH. He knew LBJ back in the day & visited him on his farm as a young man. Life long staunch Democrat & great friend. He told me of his great fear of Obama. HRC & Bill's people did a background search of Obama. What they found shocked them. They were unable to find anything. Now for those who don't know the Clintons have one of the most powerful, if not the most powerful political machine in existence today. They simply could find nothing on who Obama was or where he came from. When the bluest person I know tells me this & them campaigns for McCain.... Well, that scares me greatly.

3) Testing the spirits. Yo, I know this is where I will lose many, but hopefully not you. I am a man of faith. I have never seen someone that I believe is evil enough that I fear them. I honestly believe that of Obama. I can't rationally explain it. But it makes it no less real to me.

Yo, I am rationale & easy going & fairly passionate often. I think you see that. Obama is just one person about whom I will not remain silent. I believe him to be demonic & to have powers working through him that are greater than him & of which he may not even know.

30. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

Couldn't agree more, THEU.