Time to talk Oklahoma State

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Austin_Bill, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Okay so OSU is coming into Austin undefeated. However it hasn't really set the world on fire with it's competiton.

OSU schedule so far:

Oregon State - Beat the beaver 52-36. This is the same Beavers that also lost to Hawaii 31-28 and beat Cal Poly 45-7. Not exactly a statement win.

McNeese State - Beat the Cowboys 56-14. This is the Cowboys only loss, they have beaten Southern and Alcorn State. I think you are starting to see the picture.

Tulsa - Beat the baby hurricanes 40-21. This is a good win for Okie Lite, however for the baby canes, they have only one win on the season they beat San Jose State U 34-14, and they have lost to Michigan State Sparty 28-7.

OUS passing attack is averaging 261.7 - 49th in the Country
    OSU Running attack is averaging 285.3 - 9th in the country.
    OUS is scoring 50 pts a game for 9th in the country
    They are giving up 23.7 pts on defense for 61st in the country.

Starting QB Spencer Sanders QB rating 181.8 He has passed for 622 yards through 3 games 7 Tds to 1 Int. He has only been sacked twice.

Top RB is Chuba Hubbard who has rushed for 521 yards on only 66 attempts for a 7.9 avg. He has scored 7 Tds on the season so far.
    Should be noted the second leading rusher is the QB who has rushed for 219 yards on 34 carries and 1 TD.

Top target is Tylan Wallace with 15 catches for 390 yards and 6 TDs. No one else really comes close to him. Another receiver of note is C J Moore who has only caught 3 passes on the year, but 2 were for TDS one was for 59 yards.

One defense their top tackler is Safety Malcolm Rodriguez. Best pass rusher is LB Amen Ogbongbemiga who has 3.5 sacks on the season. No one else really stands out statistically.

My take is their defense is about on the same level as La Tech, which means we should put up between 40 and 50 pts on them. Their offense is good, passing game is about on the level of La Tech, but their running game is better than any we have played so far. Knowing how Orlando prides himself on playing a defense to take away the run, this will be a solid test of the run defense and a good tuneup for blOwU. I think they can score about 24 to 31 pts on the Texas defense. This is a good team, but I think Texas will be ready for them.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
    • Hot Hot x 1
  3. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I think their offense will be good enough to keep our TOP down. I don't think we'll have time to score 50. 40 is reasonable, as I am predicting 38.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Nice post Bill. No doubt the offense is very good. Their defense is not in the same ballpark as LSU.

We'll have to be patient, keep our heads up, and not hang our heads if osu breaks out into an early lead. Our offense is good enough to score 60 against them. i don't think we will, but its possible.
    I hope Orlando doesn't lean too heavily on those "bring the house" blitzes. Gundy won't have much problem defeating those most of the time. Bending and not breaking is the way in this game. And our O will take this one to the house. :hookem2:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Still think we are deep enough to control and win this game, but I've got one eye out for Shack and Ossai's injury news.
    IMHO...one of top 2-3 offensive and top 2-3 defensive key players for this squad.
    Tough to lose them in a blowout victory like that.
    You always go into those games and say the key is secure the W and get your key guys out healthy...
    Hope they are both back by the RRR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I think our best strategy is to again play keep away from their offense. My best guess is that we will score about 42 pts and we will hold them to about 24 pts.

8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

They’ve had our number in recent years. This is the year we nip that junk in the bud. We can’t let them turn into a new Bill Snyder era KSU—type nemesis to us (the sort of team that always seemed to have our number and beat us, even when we were a much better team). I regard this as a very important game in our current/near term program history.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  9. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

OSU QB is dangerous... Not the passer the last few have been. He can throw and he has wheels. We better bring four and blitz when necessary.
    RB is a beast...We better bring four and keep our rush lanes and keep containment.
    WRs are pretty good....hopefully our DBs are getting better.
    This one could come down to Dicker.
    They have owned us, so players should bring a chip into this one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Oh no, didn’t know Ossai had an issue. Defense the big worry here for me. They will score plenty,I’m just hoping to keep up and Dicker be the difference.

11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Losing Ossai would hurt. I hope he’s good to go on Saturday. On a positive note, Mitchell looked pretty impressive off the bench at LB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Green and Brandon Jones better bracket Tylan Wallace or he will abuse us all night long.

13. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Tulsa recovered from being down 17-0 to go up 21-20 before they ran out of gas. We can take the pokes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Those thinking this will be same ol high flying OSU need to check the stats...
    They have been doing bulk of work on the ground. Our running defense has been very tough this year and going back to last year. I'm sure oklite can still attack through the air, but...we can and should win by 10. Ossai and Shack are concerns, though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I can't wait to get this monkey off our back.

I have never been a fan of the mullet-headed one and this OSU team has received way too many gifts in this series lately (whether it was help from referees or being gifted with umpteen blocked kicks in one game)

Would be really nice to remind that chucklefuck who we are and kick their *** back to stool-water.

• Hot Hot x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Their #1 WR and #1 RB both lead the NCAA in total yardage
    The RB also leads with 174 YPG, while the WR leads in Rec YPG at 130
    But the QB is not in the top 50 in total passing yards or YPG

• Hot Hot x 1
  18. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

That was a weird game for the OSU offense. IIRC, they scored on their first 3 possessions, and on 3 of their last 4. But in-between they managed like 1 FG in 7 drives. Probably in keeping with their nature as a boom-or-bust offense. They don't throw a ton but they like to throw deep when they do, after bringing the secondary closer with the runs. Sanders and Hubbard are both big-play threats in the run game and of course there's Wallace as a receiver (who is only a junior! dammit! I hope he goes pro after this year). That's about as dangerous as a QB-RB-WR triple threat combo as there is, however, Sanders is young and seems to like to gamble. Kind of like freshman-year Sam, actually, thinks he can do anything and goes for high-risk high-reward.

19. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

OSU has an offense that will allow Texas to have a lot of offensive possessions. Texas was competitive in a shoot out game with one of the best teams in the country and the Pokes are no LSU. That is no slam of oSu, Visor Boy does more with less than anyone in the country, with or without Boone's money (RIP). The last time he lost in DKR, Bush was POTUS and that game was a dog fight. Herman finally stops the bleeding in a series we have been owned in for a decade.

20. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

We need separation, score-wise. We cannot count on the Big 12 refs to not screw us if they get the chance.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I fixed it for you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

It’ll be a close one yea

23. havoc7701

havoc7701 Sponsor and Aggy Ridiculer

• Hot Hot x 1
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

BJ Foster and DeMarvion Overshown are both OUT this week
    Joseph Ossai has a shoulder sprain.
    And we will likely redshirt Whittington (me, not Herman but it makes sense as he can still play 3 more)

[​IMG]

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

Not only does Okie St own a 4-game win streak against us overall but they have a 5-game win streak at DKR?
    Which also means (I think), as an opposing coach, Gundy owns the longest win streak of any opponent in Austin in the history of Texas football.

On the other hand, we once had a 12-game win streak against them. And, they only have 9 wins against us all-time.

And the last time we beat them, Gundy's hair looked like this
    [​IMG]

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

You might even recall that 2015 loss, which may have been the worst officiated game in the history of all sports

• Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  28. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

SlotU :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

The ref going out of his way to bump into Charlie Strong and then throwing a flag for "making contact with an official" was so obviously bogus. The rest of the flags in that game notwithstanding, that one move should have had consequences for the official in question.

• Agree Agree x 6
  30. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 3