Timing Belt/Honda

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Woland, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

My Accord Coupe has 100,000 miles. What is a reasonable fee for changing the timing belt and does anyone have a trusted mechanic in Collin County?

2. C-Man

C-Man 250+ Posts

I don't know for sure but I don't think it should cost more than $200.

3. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

My wife's car is in the same boat. We have been putting it off and could use the same advice.

4. baboso

baboso 250+ Posts

pm accuratehorn. He is the mechanic/God of all things Honda.

5. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

he's in Austin though. We are in the Dallas/Richardson/Plano area too.

6. baboso

baboso 250+ Posts

He should be able to give you a reasonable idea of what the cost will be.

7. Teasip63

Teasip63 100+ Posts

Ok, maybe this will help. I have a 97 CRV and I had the timing belt changed and water pump replaced late last year at Jim McNatt Honda (I think that is still the name) for about $800. You can call them and they will give you a price. This was in Lewisville, TX.

8. EEE

EEE 250+ Posts

9. Endust

Endust 500+ Posts

$700-$800.

10. valencia

valencia 100+ Posts

We take our cars 98 Honda Accord and 01 BMW to Nash's in Allen Tx 972-390-8488. They are locally owned. A local BMW dealer told us the BMW needed a new power steering unit for $700. do to a fluid leak, Nash's repaired it for $30. as 3 clamps were loose.

11. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

I'm in the same boat as well, 2000 honda accord v6 here with 100,000 miles on it, I am already pushing it due to the time frame, I believe I am supposed to get it done at 7 years or 105,000. This is the only gripe I have on this car, I plan on keeping it but don't look forward to shelling out money to have this done every 100k.
    some of you other honda accord owners speak up, I would like to keep my accord for a lot longer, use it for work mainly and besides, it's paid for, have many of you gone beyond 200k following normally scheduled maintenance*?

* replacing the belt and changing the oil etc.

12. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

My current Accord has 200k on it. My Prelude before had almost 250k. Paying $700 every 90k and oil changes every 5k is pretty cheap when compared to a new car payment.

Sure, you could try it and it would probably go over 150k but when that timing belt breaks, you are in for a HUGE bill. I'm sure AccurateHorn has some great horror stories about this.

13. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

14. C-Man

C-Man 250+ Posts

I got mixed up on my belts. Apparently, my estimate was too low. I looked online and it looks like you should be able to get it done for $600 or so like some of the posters on here said.

15. LPDog78

LPDog78 25+ Posts

I believe you're pushing it if you have 100k miles on it. If the timing belt breaks, typically you'll drop a valve into the motor and then you'll have a bigger mess on your hands. I had my 98 done here in Omaha for about $650.00 at the dealer.

16. Back to Texas

Back to Texas 250+ Posts

I had my done on a 98 Accord for $700 (I think I had some other stuff done too maybe). Well worth doing it before it goes.

If you are bummed about investing just over $1000 every 100k in a car, you must be used to doing everything yourself on cars. Hondas are ridiculously cheap to own. Although my co-workers make fun of my Accord, I make fun of them when the Bimmer dealership takes them to town every chance they get.

17. po elvis

po elvis 250+ Posts

18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

My Accord has 220K on it and still running strong.

Thanks, accuratehorn!

19. baboso

baboso 250+ Posts

20. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

The replies make me feel a lot better, yes, i am used to doing everything myself (I still stick with doing my own oil changes every 3k miles to give you an idea) but don't feel adequate to do a timing belt change myself, I want to hold off until this summer to get it done which would put me a year and half past the manufacturers suggested time frame. money well spent if it will keep me from having to replace it any time soon. thanks again for the replies.

21. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

22. El_Guapo

El_Guapo 500+ Posts

23. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I was closed for a week during the holidays, just saw this thread.
    There are two kinds of engines where broken timing belts are concerned: interference and noninterference. This refers to whether or not the valves will hit the pistons if the crankshaft is turning but the valves are stopped. They stop going up and down if the timing belt breaks, and some will be closed, some half open, and some all the way open. The piston comes up and hits the ones that are all the way open if it is an interference design.
    Almost every Toyota engine (except the V-8 engine) is noninterference-the timing belt just breaks, and the car won't run, but the engine won't be damaged.
    But just about every Honda engine is the interference type, and they do get damaged if the belt breaks, and it is usually cheaper to replace the whole engine with a used one than repair it. So you don't want that to happen.
    We charge about $500 on a six-cylinder Accord to replace the belt with a genuine Honda belt, and replace the three engine oil seals at the same time (two camshaft seals, one front crankshaft seal) and the two fan belts at the same time).
    The water pump seems to last a long time on the six-cylinder models (it has a bigger bearing), but it adds about $200 if you want it replaced at the same time.
    We recommend the water pump on four-cylinder models, but call it optional on the six-cylinder models. If it leaks later, though, you have to pay to remove the timing belt to replace it, so that is why you might want to do it at the same time.
    There are also two tensioners in there that can get noisy, and we check them. On Hondas they often are OK on the first timing belt, but needed on the second timing belt. Some places change them every time. They can add $120 to the bill.
    On a four-cylinder Civic, the job is about $525 with a water pump, on a four-cylinder Accord, which has two timing belts, about $625 with water pump.