Tina Thompson named HC of The University of Virginia

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by LutherIsMyDog, Apr 16, 2018.

1. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Congrats to Tina. Wish we could have had her for at least another year.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  2. breckenj05

breckenj05 100+ Posts

Congrats to her, but I was also hoping we would be able to keep her a few more years.

• Like Like x 4
  3. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Congrats to her It will be interesting to see who coach Aston brings in. Hopefully she brings in a quality coach that has some good offensive philosophies and can develop the post players.

• Like Like x 4
  4. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Wow, well good for her. I think the sign of a good coach is hiring good assistants who go on to become HC.

• Like Like x 7
  5. LutherIsMyDog

Agree. To Karen's credit, she has a reputation for helping coaches get to the next level as head coaches. I'm sure this has been in the works for a while behind the scenes. I feel certain Karen is in the process of finding us another great coach to take Coach Tina's place.

• Like Like x 7
  6. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

True. She has developed a heck of a coaching tree this far. That 2 1/2 (She only gets half credit for T Mays lol) in a short career

• Like Like x 4
  7. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  8. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Say whaaaat?! I did not see this coming. Please forgive me: my first thought was a selfish "Oh, no." And even as I now say, "Congratulations Tina, well-deserved", I am still a little sad. But, Karen has done a great job staffing. I am certain she will find a great new assistant.:bevo: Best wishes Coach Thompson.

• Like Like x 5
  9. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Hmmm. I was thinking more along the lines of a defensive coach. I think the defense was less stout this past year while the team scored more points than ever. I agree about the post development part.

• Like Like x 2
  10. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

Congrats to Tina, but hate to see her go.

• Like Like x 6
  11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  12. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Wow. Congrats to Coach T, but I am sad about it. :( Saw her at ABIA bright and early Saturday morning. Had I known this was in the works, I may have just held on to her pant legs or something. JK, congrats again Coach!!!!

• Like Like x 5
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I did not see this coming. She had only just begun a coaching career, and Coach A had to kind of drag her (reluctantly) into the industry. I didn't think she would want to become a head coach any time soon.

Obviously, she had become fond of coaching in college. So, congrats to Tina! One of my all-time favorite professional athletes. She definitely helped Texas grow as a program.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

15. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

I think we all knew this was coming at some point. I'm so happy for Tina! Well deserved!

• Like Like x 3
  16. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Aww, good for Tina! Knew it would happen but gosh I though we might have her a couple more years.

• Like Like x 3
  17. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Happy for you Tina. Just hate to see you go.

• Like Like x 2
  18. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

i'm not feeling very gracious about this. How do you replace a legend? i like the idea of another charismatic WNBA player. I can't think who. What is Tamika Catchings doing?

• Like Like x 4
  19. LutherIsMyDog

@Moooooo ....thought you'd find this interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Want a WNBA legend? How about Sheryl Swoops? :beertoast:

That was too easy, I could not resist.

21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

She called a few games in the women’s NCAA tourney and she’s got a front office job with the Pacers. Like the idea though - home state girl.

• Like Like x 2
  22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Karen comments...

• Like Like x 6
  23. LutherIsMyDog

Gotta love that Tweet from Karen. Very thoughtful

• Like Like x 5
  24. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  25. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Man, going to miss her. I thought our posts got better by leaps and bounds under her tutelage. Knew this was coming but also had hoped that she would be around to help train Sedona and Charlie for a couple of years.

Be4st of luck, Coach Thompson!

• Like Like x 7
  26. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

It’ll be interesting and fun to watch what she does with her program. That said, and already seeing the recruiting offers she’s making, I’m also curious to see the staff she pulls together. I’m thinking a few of the candidates mentioned as possibilities to fill her vacated position at Texas, might be targets for her own staff.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Coach Aston hit a Major League Home Run when she hired Tina. I sure hate to see her leave but this is the natural progression in this business. She was a huge draw for recruits to want to come to Texas. UVA is a fabulous place for her to land. It has one of the most beautiful campuses in the country. Especially in the fall when the leaves are turning. UVA was ranked 17th most beautiful campuses for 2018 by the bestcollegecampuses.org. Not sure what there facilities are like but with her profile, resume and recruiting abilities this is a place where she could build a dynasty. A scary thought but if she could knock UConn off there pedestal I'm all for it! She was nothing but class at Texas and the kids loved her.
    I don't think Coach Aston can hit another home run with this hire like she did with Tina. But I wouldn't be surprised to see her come up with someone no one else expected. She knows what it takes to build a program: recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. And I'm sure that will be the direction she looks. I really look forward to the excitement of the hire. Hook'em

• Like Like x 2
  28. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

WHAT!?!?!?!

After I heard her speech earlier this year I knew she would be gone and I figured she had offers on the table. I'M SUPER SAD!!! But SOO EXCITED TOO! VA will be another team I'll be watching. Love me some Tina!!!

So now I say Coach Aston goes after Kara Lawson!!! PERIOD. POINT BLANK!!!

KA will become the Coach that gets the Legends back on the court coaching. I love that she thinks OUTSIDE THE BOX. I do believe she has already knocked at Tamika Catchings front door. Believe That!! That's the kind of coach she is. She's fearless! All they can say is No!!

Or go after Sue Bird, she's about ready to retire or DT. OMG there's a wealth of BB knowledge out there that she can go after.

Now time to seat back and watch KA WORK!!!

• Like Like x 4
  29. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

And O my Goodness, KA and Tina will probably be going after some of the same coaches. Can't wait to see Tina's coaching staff. Tina knows the players, coaches and up and coming coaches. Players who want to coach and the gazillion conversations she has probably already had with them. She knows there style, strengths and witnessed. Tina has INSIDER TRADING INFORMATION! LOL!!!

Oh my!! This is going to be good.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Hornzupp

Hornzupp 25+ Posts

Hmmmm. Not sure Karen Aston deserves any credit for any coach that's left Texas to become a HC. Solid recruiter of players and coaches - that's obvious - but not sold on the fact that she's a great developer of either.

• Like Like x 2