Tire Suggestions

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by 01 grad, Jun 18, 2007.

1. 01 grad

01 grad 250+ Posts

Daughter's car needs new tires. 2004 Mazda 3, 205/55r16. I am #1 looking for a tire that will mitigate road noise, this car is LOUD inside. #2, looking for a tire that won't need replacing after 15000 miles. Suggestions?

2. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

stay away from some Michelin tires. I need 4 new ones after 11K miles. The previous tires were from Continental, and they lasted 34K.

3. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

Go to Tire Rack and read their reviews and consumer feedback. Best place on the net for tire information.

4. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

The last two times I've bought tires (from Discount Tire), I've gone with Yokahoma. Got 60,000 miles on set on my old RX-7. Current set on Mrs. HHD's Maxima have 45K and barely appear worn.

HHD [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. homer

homer 500+ Posts

Don't know nothing about tire brands to recommend one, but none of my tires have lasted me less than 40k. 15k seems like very low mileage. Is that ordinary?

6. VoodooChi|d

VoodooChi|d 500+ Posts

It depends on the tire and your driving style.

Performance tires with a semi-aggressive driving style will only last about 15k...

7. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

The factory tires that came with my wrx lasted all of 20k miles. But they were soft rubber, made to hug the road and give amazing tracking. And they certainly drove badass. But when I replaced them I couldn't justify all the *** kicking with $600. It was like a dollar a day in tires alone. I bought some Yokos that have been well. I hope to get about 40k out of them. I will say this: tires have been one of the few things in life that I have gladly paid the warranty. I get my tires at Discount Tires and the road hazard has patched me twice and replaced one completely. I think it was living in campus that damaged them so much. Drunk frat guys = lots of broken glass and loose nails from various party construction projects.

8. Damor

Damor 25+ Posts

I heard good things about Kumho from here and on Tire Rack, so I recently put a set on our Xterra. I know it's apples and oranges, but I've been very happy with them and even happier about the price.

For whatever it's worth, my mother-in-law has them on her Accord, where they seem to be doing well, though tire talk isn't really one of our frequent topics.