Titans need to keep Jeff Fisher.

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by goredho, Nov 30, 2009.

1. goredho

goredho 100+ Posts

Hear me out. I totally get that he's an *******, gave up on VY way too early, shouldn't get a free pass for the 0-6 start, was an idiot for not playing VY until the season is pretty much gone, was seen on the grassy knoll when Kennedy was shot, tithes to the Taliban and voted democrat in each of the last 3 elections. But...

If Fisher is let go, any new coach short of a Raider-esque figurehead (and we've seen how well those work out) is going to want to bring in their own staff. Vince would be playing with yet another new offensive coordinator and a new head coach at a time when he is growing leaps and bounds with Fisher and Heimerdinger. And it seems like Fisher and Heimerdinger are growing leaps and bounds as far as learning how to coach and gameplan with someone as unique and potentially position redefining as Young.

Bottom line, I think having some consistency and continuing to develop his relationship with Heimerdinger is in Vince's best interest. It also seems to be working out okay for the Titan's organization as a whole. Yeah, Fisher is a douche, but... I want VY to achieve his publicly stated goals of winning a super bowl and getting into the hall of fame -- a coaching staff turnover right now would be a step back from that, imo.

2. it would be the second time VY saved his job...
    I think you make a good point - obviously things are rolling right now and you wouldn't want any type of overhaul from a new staff. On the other hand, what if Fisher has a Merrill Hoge type. deep seeded dislike for VY?
    It was pretty bad what Fish was saying while Vince was sitting on the bench. Losing 59-0 and still saying Vince doesn't give you a shot????? WTF?? It might just be rumor, but I've also read that Fisher was the one leaking all of the stuff about Vince not having a work ethic and not putting in any time in the film room.

3. jackden

jackden 100+ Posts

He should be fired just because of that infamous statement "Kerry gives us the best chance to win," and his OC should get promoted. But I think Adams will keep him because of his contract and salaries.

4. goredho

goredho 100+ Posts

Yeah, maybe Adams needs to sit down with Fisher and try and gauge whether he is on board with VY being the undisputed future of the team at QB.

I don't really buy into the whole Fisher harbors a deep-seeded and irrational hatred towards Vince and would commit coaching suicide if it kept VY down argument. I mean, its all hearsay. All we really know is that he benched him last year and tried to stick with Collins too long this year.

The benching was warranted, imo. A QB can't refuse to go into the game. Then they happened to go on a 10 game winning streak. I can't fault him for not bringing Vince back in last year. The only thing I really think you can say with certainty is that he did seem to write Vince off coming into this year, and waited to play him far too long. Big mistakes, yes, but if he's become convinced that Young is where his best interests lie, and he's committed to backing him 100% as the QB of the franchise, then I think he and Heimerdinger need to be kept around for VY's sake.

5. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

Just hire a defensive head coach and keep the same offense. Fisher needs to try his hand at announcing so he can fail at that.

6. Vote For Pedro

Vote For Pedro 500+ Posts

In reply to:

7. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

I agree with you. Fisher was a total idiot and really overdid the way he benched VY last year, hardly even trying to bring him back on slowly. The way he treated Vince made a lot of people believe that VY was really some sort of a head-case or a clubhouse problem or something.. All were mistakes by Fisher, deliberate or not - and I tend to think some of it was deliberate and ego-driven. Then Fisher made it worse this year by not starting VY at least one or two games earlier than he did. Kept saying ridiculous things like KC "gave them the best chance" etc... I hate him for all of that, and have called him a lowlife for how he dealt with the whole situation...

Having said all that, I think he was forced (out of having no other options) to design an offense that would work with Vince. That he and Mike "Ho Hum" Dinger have done quite well. I remember some reports about Fisher earlier that he did know that designing things to fit VY was an option but that he wasn't willing to try it - especially as he wanted the usual NFL quarterback at draft time and really didn't want to try other things. Well, now that he has tried it, I think he will bite his pride and live with it. He probably has seen the light now! Sometimes ego-driven males do mistakes like this, and change their ways when forced to - and they often learn from it too. Hopefully he has, and has become a better coach from that.

If VY continues to be VY and Fisher has been forced to allow him to pay like he is playing now, I see no reason to wish to have him go. A known devil is better than an unknown devil anyway. I really don't want to wait for another coach to "see the light". The coach is much less important in the NFL when you have players who are ready to lead and win. Vince is the leader, and we just need a coach who will get out of the way. Vince has completely pushed Fisher out of the way already, so let us stick with this!

R.J.

8. Rayug

Rayug 100+ Posts

Did Kerry Collins ever win them a game last season? I am not saying Vince should have been starting last season or at the beginning of this season, but you have to recognize that Collins is not going to put a team on his back and carry them to victory. Fisher should know that right? And if he did then why did he leave Collins in there for 6 losses and it took Bud "I almost peed my pants" Adams to force a change? Something just doesn't seem to make sense to me.

9. goredho

goredho 100+ Posts

10. starchild

starchild 500+ Posts

i got the feeling in fish's postgame interview that he is warming to vince. funny how winning has a way of making that happen. i like how vince keeps saying, "i love all y'all." i think he's talking to fans, hoge, fish, etc. that's his way of saying that he's matured and moved past it. if he can move past it, fish should be able to also.

11. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

goredho, I agree with you and was going to make this same post the other day but never got around to it due to the holiday.

Jeff Fisher is a stubborn a-hole. That much we get. But we also know how good things can be when you get a stubborn a-hole on your side. I think that could be the way things are headed in Tennessee. Just imagine if Fisher ended up being on VY's side the same way Mack is now. Just the way VY turned the Texas coaches to his ways here in Austin, I think he may be swinging JF over to his side with his new dedication to Dinger's playbook and more importantly, his winning ways. If those three keep developing trust, keep working on that running game with CJ, get another WR or 2 to work with Britt, rebuild the D, and most importantly, keep developing VY, the sky is literally the limit.

Furthermore, Fisher has limitations, but who are the Titans going to hire that's better than him? Can they get Shanny? If so, ok. Otherwise, it might be hard to move up.

12. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

Given how well quality players on the Titans organization ... going back many years.... have elevated the Titans, I have no way of judging how good a coach Fisher really is today.

I'll put it this way, then.... I wonder how well Vince would do with a coach who truly has his back and honestly believes in him?

It's one thing to have to prove yourself to others... it's another when your coach/mentor believes in you and makes it a point to encourage you to be more than you can be.

It's as if Vince is this good... while having to overcome the disbelief Fisher puts on him. I've never seen anything like it... Vince learning to become an NFL quarterback.. in spite of his head coach.

13. Joe2005

Joe2005 500+ Posts