Title V of House Bill 1

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by huisache, Jan 17, 2022.

1. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

It relates to financing congressional elections and provides for matching funds 6x the amount of each contribution of $200 or less. The succeeding paragraph sets aggregate limits but it is so Congresspeak that I could not translate it. I am kind of surprised that this portion of the 800+ page bill is not getting more attention.

Any help in translation would be appreciated.

2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'm not surprised. The media and punditry class don't talk about what's actually in bills anymore. It's all slogans and ********.

I think this is the text you're looking at.

(c) LIMIT ON AGGREGATE AMOUNT OF PAYMENTS.—The aggregate amount of payments made to a participating candidate with respect to an election cycle under this title may not exceed 50 percent of the average of the 20 greatest amounts of disbursements made by the authorized committees of any winning candidate for the office of Representative in, or Delegate or Resident Commissioner to, the Congress during the most recent election cycle, rounded to the nearest $100,000.

Yeah, I've looked at it for a bit, and I don't know what the hell it means. By "authorized committees," I assume it means committees have been authorized by a candidate to accept contributions or make expenditures on his or her behalf, or one that accepts contributions or makes expenditures on behalf of a candidate and has not been disavowed by the candidate. (The FEC's definition.) If someone is willing to send me a $2,000 retainer and let me bill it at $400 per hour, I'll figure it out for sure, but absent that kind of offer, I'm not going to piss away much time on it. The bill is dead anyway.

3. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

It is EASY to figure out why it gets little media traction...it would harm the narrative. XiNN and MSDNC have their marching orders not to distract the masses from buying into crap talking points.